CS/Speciale/Pista Convergence | FerrariChat

CS/Speciale/Pista Convergence

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Feb 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    will it happen and when? let's keep the discussion like for like, so lets use what Hagerty wld classify as a "Concours" level example.

2. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    CS collectibility is hitting a new high right now (especially clean examples), I have been called twice about mine... Pista is an engineering marvel (love mine) but will drop over next few years, this year I think you are going to see the secondary market be very strong with limited inventory, inflation, and free money in the system. Speciale are still trading strong, I predict Pista values to come down to Speciale ones and stay there for the long term until inventory settles out a bit. Personally I am in the market for a Speciale A.. Canadian example if anyone has :)

Will they ever converge, yikes and yes! Probably need more time probably in 3-5 years..

pilotoCS and of2worlds like this.
  3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    you are cornering all cars collectible up there!!!!

uhn2000 likes this.
  4. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Maybe even arguable that longer term (post-convergence) pricing could actually shake out CS > Speciale > Pista.

Enzo Belair likes this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    What about Scud/16M?

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Those are in last place by a long margin so not really a contender

7. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Interesting you bring that up. I have been watching (albeit not tracking) prices on 16m/Scud and have been surprised at the dip that has occurred (especially the 16m). Given the downward trend, it has crossed my mind to consider buying one. Although having owned a F430 coupe and now a 458 Spider, the Speciale keeps talking to me. :)

This is a good point which IMHO is not too far fetched.

italiafan likes this.
  8. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Ive been surprised at the dip in the 16m as well. There was a nice black one at my dealer that sat there for months priced in the mid 250s. I considered it but had 3 cars incoming so held off. Wonder what causes it to be overlooked? Limited ,raw, looks great and sounds great.

italiafan likes this.
  9. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Completely agree, the CS is the only in the lineup that is a real track car for the street, the CS is purposefully designed/engineered/built and I believe will continue to go up in value, will eventually enter F40 territory. Only 350+- made for the US market, and IMHO the best looking out of the whole lightweight range, inside and out.

Yes, I own one and love it so I guess I am under its spell... :p
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

NürScud, ShineKen, LARRYH and 8 others like this.
  10. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Prior to me purchasing my 430, I called on a great example of a CS. Low miles, factory stripe, rossa corsa, no stories and for only $165k. I waited too long to decide and it sold when I ended up calling the dealer again. Now I'm kicking myself for not jumping on it. This was about 4 years ago. Shortly thereafter ( a few months if that), prices on the CS started to go up. Oh well!

ttforcefed likes this.
  11. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

CS will not be in F40 territory while most of us are alive but maybe in 50 years. Its marginally better than a 360 performance wise but much rarer which is what makes it collectible and valuable. its fun to speculate things like this especially if you have one.

pilotoCS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Prices on all these cars will go up and down. The Pista being the most recent will not hold value to MSRP as well as the older cars. Perhaps in 10-15 years things will be different especially with the hybrid models. For the Speciale, even at msrp it is in todays terms decently priced for what you get.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I think the hybrid models will suffer in resale. Most folks just don't understand the electric side enough to feel comfortable buying a used one out of warranty.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Great topic.....as the owner of exactly none of these, my qualifications are at the tippy-top of the scale.

I think the Speciale will eventually reign supreme.....very well regarded and does not have the transmission issue which a lot of people (ex Chris Harris) feel hold back the CS.

So a decade on I think they will line up as:

Speciale > CS > Pista > Scuderia.....with one exception

I see the 16M by sheer numbers more collectible than the Pista.

Manda racing and Caeruleus11 like this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    But the green thing sticking out of the garage is much more special I think....bravo

Boomhauer and tomc like this.
  16. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    In terms of driving enjoyment, agreed. Shifting/brakes on CS not so great. Shifting on Scud not so great. Emotion of Pista not so great.

All of the above great w/Speciale.

Avia11, dustman and JTSE30 like this.
  17. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Absolutely this is true but I still wonder why the drop in 16M prices. It's almost as though the F430 family of vehicles got caught in the "tweener" stage. The CS is a raw vehicle that somewhat started the "track focused" trend (albeit the 355 Serie Fiorano and the 348 Serie Speciale could be declared the predecessors). You then had a vehicle architecture change with the introduction of the 458. Maybe that is why the 430 variants are being overlooked and the CS and 458 Speciale are coveted more at this point in time.

So the Speciale > CS > Pista > Scuderia makes a lot of sense, but one could argue that the Speciale and CS could easily trade places. And that's why we call it speculation....:)

18. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree 100% with the above statement.

19. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    NürScud, ShineKen, Gh21631 and 12 others like this.
  20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I love the Scud. My favorite emotionally, as I was finishing school and lusting after it. It was the hot new car when I visited the Ferrari Museum in Maranello. I may pick one up soon. Have always wanted it...Sound and appearance are incredible. I think it will definitely be more of an occasion than the 458 was or the Pista is.

21. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I really like the Scud as well, although the CS seems to evoke more emotion from their owners (purely subjective on my part). Keeping with the theme of this thread, if we look at trends and pricing, the Scud and 16M or declining while the Speciale has remained stable and the CS starting to increase and Pista has dropped quickly.

I'm not arguing with your statement as I personally like the looks of the 430 more than the 360 (which is why I bought one). As of late, the Scud seems to be underappreciated compared to the others.

22. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Seems to go in waves. It'll be back in favor again soon. Trying to decide if I want he Scud or 16M.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    So amazing....I tried to get to the point of buying a Boxer last year, but found that for the money I had, the cars needed alot of immediate big $$$ servicing so I could buy the car OR pay for servicing but not both. And since I already had a mid engine V12 maintenance queen, I went in another direction.

Thanks for the pictures....

24. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    pista will eventually end up cheaper than the 360 cs or 458 spec imo

25. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I expect Pista to suffer a fate similar to that of the Scuderia.
    CS and Speciale seem to be the ones that garner the real demand. CS for being raw and low numbers, Speciale for being the last NA V8 and well rounded enough to be the only Ferrari in the garage.

willcrook, Caeruleus11, Bas and 2 others like this.