slightly unbelievable but true story. need advice | Page 5 | FerrariChat

slightly unbelievable but true story. need advice

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by beauphus, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    IME, there is a reason the car was sent to the service shop and has sat...

my guess would be motor issues. as the time it was initially sent it wasnt worth fixing

2. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    This is not the case. There is a story to why this happened. But it wasn’t a motor issue. It may have motor issues now, but not then

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    dude your dad was a stud....

4. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    eventually someone on here is gonna ping me that they knew him. He was the only son and heir to a worldwide company. He partied with the biggest. There are definitely guys lurking fchat that crossed paths with him

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Heck ya... make a youtube video series!

Travel to Italy... show the bureaucracy... maybe sail back on the same ship... could be the greatest lifelong adventure you and your kids will ever have. Imagine the car one day going from your kids, to your grandkids. What a story they’ll have.

Buona Fortuna!

6. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You should find someone who is soldier in Europe for Nato. He or she will know how to handle with those documents. That car and his title is a special case. For me the license plate on the car are special plates for Nato people driving in Europe. It can be that the car is in transit between Europe (Italy in this case) and the US. Maybe you can contact Nato headquarters in Brussels for more information. The address of Nato Hq Brussels is Boulevard Léopold III, 1110 Brussels, Belgium. The contact number of Nato Hq Brussels is +32-2-7074111. Fax No:+32-2-7074117.
    I know at that time Nato people could buy cars tax-free. At that time VAT was 20 to 25% (depends what country in Europe) of the new price if it was bought new. If bought second hand, VAT was 25 % on 60 % of the new price value in the first year.

7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

It looks like they took the liberty to use this car as a parts car. The interior and exterior doesnt look like a 7K mileage car. It looks like very little care or respect was taken as evident to the condition of the car. If you choose to keep the car, I wouldn’t have the work done there. Did you inquire as to how the car was stored?

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    This /\

9. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    ****ty thing is I have no way of knowing or proving so it’s futile. I asked. They denied.

absostone and Texas Forever like this.
  10. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what shop was it stored at?

11. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz

That’s Italy, thatˋs normal

12. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Italy or not, the car has been sitting in a body shop for over 30 years and obviously this wasn’t the plan back in ‘88 so was never properly stored. It looks like it’s been moved around and banged into on multiple occasions or had stuff dropped on it—see top of right rear fender. Probably would not have been any better off if left in someone’s garage, unused, for that long.

13. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    zanasi

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    May I help?

I'm in Modena, Italy

Ciao

Il Tifoso, BigTex and absostone like this.
  15. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    yes plz. Sending you PM

Albert-LP and absostone like this.
  16. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback. On top of being a confusing situation, the emotional part of it being my dads car has been a little overwhelming. I have been a member of mbworld for many years and many of the members there helped me with AMG builds. Glad to know the fchat world has similar helpful, smart people. I think at least initially I am keeping the car until I have a full understanding of what a rebuild will take in time, parts and money. I know my dad wanted the car or he would’ve sold it many years ago. I have one son (and 3 daughters). I can only imagine how cool for my son being able to take his prom date in a monospecchio. He’s only 5. I was looking at the car on my laptop and he saw it on the screen and he says “daddy that car is cool. Can we get that?”. I chuckled. It may be a frustrating journey to redo this car, but I feel better knowing there is a community to help. I may make it into a documentary of sorts. My cousin is a director that has a few documentaries on Netflix right now. This may actually be fun. I just wanted to say I truly appreciate everyone chiming in and helping. I’ll keep this thread going.

Il Tifoso, chrixxx, Ten Four and 9 others like this.
  17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I’m sure this will be easier now that you have been in contact with Alberto. Good luck

vincenzo likes this.
  18. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #118 2NA, Feb 3, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    I would certainly NOT trust the place that has the car now. It was obviously used as a parts-car. Not a basis for a trusted relationship.

I see absolutely no reason to have any work done in Italy. It would be completely out of your control and almost certainly the costs would continue to grow. There are a lot of good people that could help you that would not require a passport and a plane ticket to visit. I can recommend some if you wish.

Texas Forever and vincenzo like this.
  19. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I don't know what line of work you are in, but have you considered moving to Italy to be with the car? Can you work remotely?

This is a Flying Mirror TR!

I could be wrong, but I think shop labor rates are lower in Italy, and Europe. The UK guys are always laughing at what Americans pay for belt services etc. Maybe the UK is a good spot to sort it out and do the work. At least there is no confusion of language.

I would say whoever stored it owes you some money for sure. At a minimum you should not be paying them!

20. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I love Ratarossa and his cars, but I think this TR is too complete for him, doesn't need enough work.

ChipG likes this.
  21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Albert I had "thrown your hat into the ring" via a PM to the OP..

Glad you are here...

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I'm puzzled how it can have any mileage if he never took possession as was stated. A free Ferrari especially a new to you family car is a great thing. At the very least get the car put in your name and pretty sure it counts as a V12 for the # of cars needed for an 812 VS! :)

23. beauphus

beauphus Karting

Jan 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    beau
    I meant he never brought to USA. He left it in Italy.

24. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Great color combination. Sad about the current state of the car. I may be a $25,000.00 - $30,000.00 car.; then import into the U.S. AND get all the parts to finish and refurbish it....... one would be almost at $90,000.00 after all is done? What does the Fchat brethren think ? :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  25. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm sure there is a non running CoPart donor, (or FerrParts or any of the known recyclers) that in one phone call, could get this car back together.

Running of course is another issue, but I would not shrink from what it needs to be nice again, based upon ordering "all new parts", as it's a 30 year old car and the OEM parts are as well.

Jakuzzi likes this.