Evans Coolant for Vintage V12s | FerrariChat

Evans Coolant for Vintage V12s

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 330BRC, Feb 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    Evans coolant has been extensively covered here, but I have not seen feedback specific to 250/330/365 engines. Has anyone ventured into waterless coolant for these engines? I am considering converting my 330GTC after radiator rebuild.

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Brian: Do a LOT of research before you do it. You can PM me if you wish.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    No-Rosion coolant additive may be a better alternative.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed has got it right. Go to the No-Rosion website to learn more.

375+ and Edward 96GTS like this.
  5. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I noticed a pinkish scaling/buildup when I used No-Rosion. Anyone else noticed it? Thanks.

john

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    John: It does turn the coolant a pinkish color, but never encountered any scaling. I would be more concerned with the type of antifreeze or water you are using.

375+ likes this.
  7. 330BRC

330BRC Karting

May 4, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Brian Conlan
    Thank you Gents for your input. It sounds like No-Rosian is a better direction. Is there also a recommended antifreeze/type of water/mix concentration? The car will not be subject to freezing conditions.

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hello Dyke, I have never used antifreeze, just tap water. The build-up concerned me a little so I stopped using No-Rosion. Now I use just water and water pump lubricant.

john

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    is ionized water the best to use with or without no-rosion?

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Ed: The best water to use with any cooling system is reverse osmosis water, sold at Walmart as "Drinking Water". For years people said to use distilled water, but we now know this will cause problems.

John: You have NO corrosion protection, What do you do about that?

11. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    I do not recommend to run your engine without antifreeze! Because antifreeze not only avoids the freezing of the cooling water in temeratures below 0 Centigrades but also raises the boiling point significantly. It stabalizes the electrical conductivity of the coolant which is very important especially for light alloy engines, avoids mineral deposits in the system, serves as rust protection for the radiator and heating system and provides lubrification for the water pump.

12. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Dyke, I don't know. What do you suggest, use NR again?

john

13. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    John: We have been using NR for at least 15 years in all the cars including the race cars (which cannot use antifreeze for safety reasons) and have never had any issues. If you are encountering a specific problem, PM me and I will get you in contact with Jay Ross, the owner and super knowledgeable. He is a good friend and has helped on a number of specific situations on some of our cars. I initially found NR because I was looking for corrosion protection for the race cars that could only use water as a coolant. I researched a number of other products, but found almost all of them to be snake-oyl.