Solo Sailor. How big is too big? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Solo Sailor. How big is too big?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Nov 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. But my waterfront is in Pensacola Florida.

JasonMiller likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, thanks for the tip. I think a Catalina 22 is what I'm looking for.

3. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    My pleasure, my Cat 22 will be down in Texas all summer 2021. You are welcome to it anytime.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks for the kind offer, but I'm going to do my best to get out of Texas for the summer. :)

JasonMiller likes this.
  5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some of my friends here know I've sailed a little over 3/4 of the way around the world. The largest and longest I've singlehanded is a Morgan 51 roughly 2,500 miles. That is a looooong way by yourself and I hope to never do it again. I've owned a number of offshore capable cruisers ranging from as small as a 32' Crealock to as large as a Morgan 51.
    A) If I was going to do coastal cruising I'd stay away from anything approaching 50' since getting in and out of many smaller marinas can be a real chore in a boat that size as well as the draft quickly becomes a problem. Mast height on the IC Waterway will become a big issue.
    B) If my intention was no more than 1 night at sea before making port I'd stay in the mid 30's. With lines led aft, a good quality dodger, and the traveler mounted cabin top, single hand is a breeze. They are the easiest to sail with the highest fun to expense ratio and the variety of choices is huge.
    C) If my plans were to make the islands for the season beating a Morgan 41 is nearly impossible.

All of this assumes the captain knows what he is doing, has experience, and has rigged the boat for offshore sailing (as opposed to bay sailing, huge difference)

Texas Forever and JasonMiller like this.
  6. zhangster

zhangster Rookie

Feb 8, 2021
    Somewhere in the country
    Full Name:
    Chris Z
    If you run all the lines aft I think you can easily go to 35-40' solo, especially with an autopilot. Maybe even bigger.

7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    28’. Is great.