CS Market | Page 442 | FerrariChat

CS Market

Discussion in '360/430' started by stokpro, Mar 13, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. javfer

javfer Rookie

Jan 4, 2021
    Full Name:
    javier Fernandez
    Hello it's the gray salvage?

2. adesalos

adesalos Karting

Mar 19, 2003
    Texas
    So the Meccum CS didn’t sell. Bid stopped at 190... for a <9000 miles car... was there a story with that car, or is it just the state of the current market? There is virtually no CS for sale, so does that mean no one is interested in these cars anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    This is just my opinion but I think those that have them are not interested in selling. Might be a story in the Meccum car. Covid nonsense probably has a part to play. I’m keeping mine.

pilotoCS likes this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    discussed back in juyl as well:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/search/86259775/?q=zffdu57a740139356&o=relevance
    http://challenge-stradale.com/139356.html

pilotoCS likes this.
  5. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
  6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    yes, I'm sure your suspicion is correct...one car didn't sell in January at Mecum (known for their rare ferrari sales), so "that mean no one is interested in these cars anymore" is a very valid question.

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    That car lived in Panama for a while and it looked as if someone used Armour All on the alcantara dash and left it in the sun. I think the last time it sold even was a very strong number.

8. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    Looking at the prices on a couple CS’s in the ads section. Is that really the current market?!?!? $190k for a 24k+ mile car? I mean, bully for me if it is. lol

9. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    its an asking price, so who knows. That was a typical asking price for 24k when I sold my 19k mile car back in 2018. But selling price was a while ‘nuther thing. I think 24k mile car would have sold for maybe $165k plus minus $5k. So if they get their $190k...

the top cars (low miles) asking prices do seem to have moved up. Haven’t seen any actual sale prices of 20k+ mile cars...

of course during the pandemic many car prices are thru the roof...if anything CS prices haven’t kept up with the sheer madness going on out there. You could put a yugo on BaT and get bank right now...

adesalos and dustman like this.
  10. Vegas CS

Vegas CS Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2018
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    James
    I paid $165k for my CS Jan 2020 so your sell price falls in line with that. That’s why I was wondering as the latest two asking prices are well higher than what I’ve seen. Wasn’t sure I missed something.

11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    yeah, I don't think you will ever regret buying a CS for $165k. :cool:

tres55 and Vegas CS like this.
  12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    sub 10k mile cars seem to have spiked quite a bit. approaching 300k
    20k mile nice condition cars are around 200k +/- 10k depending on colour/spec it seems

QE infinity

13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
  14. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  15. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I purchased a different one. FWIW!

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    carfax is clean with 11 owners. someone shld buy it if its clean. weird how some cars are just always for sale

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007

18. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    Given the topic of this thread, I guess I oughta' be a good soldier and provide some real world, real time feedback. I just bought a 10k mile CS with a factory stripe, a good history (owned by at least one FCHATTER) and no stories. I'm pretty sure that I investigated every CS that is presently on the market, with the exception of the lovely blue car that just came up for sale on FChat a few days ago.

I took a pass on every car that I investigated. One had been partially resprayed, another had been used almost exclusively as a track car. Paint/track history doesn't necessarily make a car bad, it's just wasn't what I was looking for.Some of the cars I called on had been sold months before. I found one very low mile car. It had an aftermarket stripe, and was priced at a stout premium. I opted against it because I really do like to drive all of my cars; to pay a premium for the oddity of ultra-low miles only to undo that oddity in the first few months of ownership made little sense, even to a profligate money spender like me. Another car looked like a good candidate, but the laudably honest sales rep was kind enough to send me pictures of every flaw on the car, and it turned out to have quite a few. Is it just me, or am I the only guy that doesn't ding, scrape, and gouge his collector car?

Anyway, my take away from the experience is that there aren't a whole lot of cars out there to choose from. I was pleased to find the car that I did, and it was exclusively offered here in a post on FCHAT. I'll be unusually candid and relate that I paid $245, which was the full ask on the car. One ends up paying full ask when the supply of nice cars is low to non-existent. They didn't make a whole lot of them to start with, and with all humility, I have never hesitated to pay a premium for a nice car. It doesn't make much sense for to me to spend hours and hours of my limited time to finally identify a nice car, only to walk away over smallish increments in price. I'd rather spend that time at the office, making money at what I'm good at. The price is long forgotten while the quality of a nice find endures. At least, that's the story I've perfected for the benefit of my wife.

As to my take on the market, it seems the word is out on the CS, and any hope of bargain shopping on a genuinely nice car seems fantasy at this point. Many of the folks I talked to are convinced that the CS is so special, such a perfect little oddity of old-school Ferrari emotion, that it can only go crazy in price and desirability. I'm not entirely sure that's the truth, but it would certainly be a nice little perk to buying a car I've wanted for the longest time. I hope the market for 20k mile cars get strong, since I'm fixin' to turn my 10k CS into just such a car quite soon. Might also commit the ultimate heresy and put a gated 6 in it. :)

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You got a very good car at fair price. As you saw, steer clear of the ones that have been posted forever. Enjoy.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Wise words.

I've come to the same conclusion lately. If it's something you really want...stop wasting time and debating values. Just buy it, enjoy it, and get back to work so you can do it again on the next one. :)

FordGTDriver likes this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thanks for the candor. This supports sub 5k mile cars being around 300k.

tres55 and FordGTDriver like this.
  22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    hagerty shows concours CS down from 340 to 260k year over year fwiw.

adesalos likes this.
  23. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    What do you guys think the value of CS 137670 that had the engine replaced in 2011 by Algar Ferrari is? Currently for sale through Yellow Compass with asking of $190k and 24k miles, makes a nice driver but definitely not at $190k in my opinion. How will this car be viewed in the future with the replacement engine? Thanks.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Mint CS’s with OEM stripe in best colors sell for $220-$245 last 5mo. For reference.

Licht, Prancing 12 and FordGTDriver like this.
  25. bigsquat

bigsquat Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2013
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Thanks for your input. I don't mind the miles but I am going back and forth on what the impact of the engine replacement would be but I think this car is probably $170k in this market and I don't see it going for less than that at this point. Unless I buy it of course, then it will definitely go down another $20-$30k.

FordGTDriver, Vegas CS and dustman like this.