FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP | Page 5 | FerrariChat

FERRARI 360 SPIDER SOFT TOP ROOF HOOD HYDRAULIC LIQUID RESERVOIR HOW TO TOP IT UP

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by spiderscott, Feb 23, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360fly

360fly Rookie

Sep 4, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks Qavion, I spoke to Klaus with Top Hydraulics yesterday, and he is a wealth of information. It appears that I need to remove my top to do the job properly so I need to get my duck in row. Looking on line now for top removal information.

2. Serge Mallat

Serge Mallat Rookie

Jan 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Serge Mallat
    Hi Ferrari Family.

The rebuild were perfect. My next issue is the elastics in the soft top. They lost their elasticity and the top wont fold completely. I need to manually roll the bar when the top is at 90 degrees, and then resume the closing procedure. Question, do I need to replace the entire top or is there a way to replace the elastic cords inside the existing top. Any help would be helpful. Thanks Serge

3. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    The first page in this thread shows where the top-off port is located on the car

4. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    Good evening. So a drop few drops of blue Fluid on the ground that I thought might be coolant. Now I’m thinking hydro fluid. Behind passenger door middle of car.. now the Top sounds a little rough.. checked the reservoir and it’s low.
    Doesn’t look like back rams are leaking and I the top will go up and down so pressure is in the system.... any ideas? Could it have evaporated? Is there a way it breaths like some of The other systems? The
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Your water pump is leaking, or you have a bleeder hose that goes up the expansion tank with a split in it.

They hydro top fluid is clear. The coolant is blue. Pull the panel from under the car and have a look..if needed remove the access panel behined the seats also and have a look.

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #106 EastMemphis, Jan 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Seven rams power the top. They can all be easily inspected. The ram that controls the locks is above the mirror, it's probably ok as you would see fluid dripping into the console. I suspect it's the secondary rams located on either side about shoulder position on the edge. To inspect, bring the top to the point where the front section start to swing into position and the locks have deployed. Stop there and turn off the key.

Lift the fabric and you'll see the ram. With your finger, feel towards the back of the ram and check for fluid. If any is present, you have a failed ram.

The other four are less likely to have failed and they can be easily inspected once you locate them.

I suspect that the secondary rams are under more stress than designed when the elastics fail as several of them aid the top when it first starts closing. The extra stress pops the seals and leaks start.

The good news is that these rams are incredibly easy to change and can be rebuilt for less than half new cost.

7. Daron

Daron Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Daron
    I had the same issue with the elastic on my top. I spent a some time and with the top half up, reached in and folded about 1 inch of the elastic onto itself and then hand sewed the “loop” of material back to itself. This shortened the elastic about 2 inches on each side. For my top it worked perfect and now the top opens and closes properly with the bar swinging in line as it operates. Just as an FYI If the elastic loose tension like mine, the bar will not swing during operation and will dig into the top and cut it over time if not fixed.
    Hope this helps.
    D

8. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    That's a bandaid at best. I wrote a long and detailed article on elastic replacement on my blog

https://ferrari360.org

9. Daron

Daron Rookie

Mar 18, 2018
    California
    Full Name:
    Daron
    Excellent write up. Very good work as well. One item I neglected to post is my tops not old, it still had elasticity but the upholster had left the elastic too long. So the new top was showing wear in the 4 points where the bar sets when down. Regardless excellent write up!! We have to collaborate. I work on my Ferrari as well and always enjoy other Ferrari owners like you.

EastMemphis likes this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I found this thread after trying to figure out how much fluid to put in. Mine was low but adding to the top of the circle didn’t fix my issue. My top retracts into the cavity but the lid won’t come down on top of it. It just started this recently so I figured the fluid must be low.

FYI, I used this bottle I got from Amazon after taking out the unit. Next time I will just use a stubby Allen wrench.

Anyway, thanks for the instructions!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    After working on my car for a month putting the battery switch on and off many times i notest now that the soft top is not doing the job correctly and it always worked perfect. I am thinking if it needs to be relearned or it is just a coincidence having the oil level low? I toke a pic of the oil tank witk the top open all way. Looks a liitle down from the round circle mark. Is this to low ? Could this be the problem?

Attached Files:

12. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
  13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    The system is sensitive to low hydraulic fluid. Bad news: If you need to add hydraulic fluid, it is highly likely you have a leak in the system. The typical place is either the locking ram located at the front of the soft top or the secondary rams which are located about shoulder level (on left and right sides). Both can be examined for leaks visually.

It's also very likely that the elastic bands on your top are due replacement. From what I can see, weak elastic bands overstress the secondary rams and that can cause them to fail. That's just my own personal analysis of the system.

tonino ct likes this.
  14. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Find the problem. Broken flappy. For 1000$ parts. No thanks. Fixed my self. thank you

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2355649 View attachment 3953198

EastMemphis and Qavion like this.
  15. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
  16. pitmanphoto

pitmanphoto Rookie

Aug 9, 2015
    great post thank you!!!!!

tonino ct likes this.
  17. mrjoey

mrjoey Rookie

Mar 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joseph J Thompson
    I recently had the top stop moving right before folding to the windshield, and wouldn't move at all. After reading all these posts, tried filling the reservoir, it was low, top moved, then fluid everywhere leaking from the bow above the windshield. The hydraulic cylinder seals gave up. Klaus at Top Hydraulics sent me a replacement and the top works perfectly. It's amazing!! Thank you to all contributors!!
    I'm still curious about the lit car in the up/down button and if that means something?

Qavion likes this.
  18. Tony4143

Tony4143 Rookie

Aug 7, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tony Sierra

I know this is a super old post but would you happen to have any pictures of the main cylinder ram install pictures?? The portion that meets with the top of the windshield??

19. Rebar56

Rebar56 Rookie

May 26, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Joe Rebber
    All good info which I followed when my center ram started to leak and I had to have it rebuilt. How one of the side rams on the top is leaking. I'm trying to get it out to send in to have rebuilt but can't seem to be able to get the pin out that hold the forked end of the rod. Doesn't anybody know how to do that?

20. lrn2ride

lrn2ride Rookie

Jan 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Eric Taub
    I don't know if anyone is still following this thread but it's been a great help. I have one issue, I'm doing with the reservoir upright and still in place method. I've been able to get a little fluid in but it now is leaking back out the filler hole. Not taking anymore in...what am I doing wrong?

Attached Files:

21. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    @lrn2ride - If that's a picture of your tank, then you're fine. It's up to the center of the bullseye.

Did you use the "oil can" method? For every bit of fluid you get in the tank, an equal amount of air has to leave. If the passageway where you're filling has become blocked with oil, it will just barf out when you try to pump it in. If you can get the snout of your oil can in deep enough to pass into the reservoir, you can avoid that issue. I don't think you want to go above the dot anyway. It's not that critical.

If you're finding you need to fill that tank more than once a decade, it's very likely that you've sprung a leak somewhere. The typical locations are the forward ram that operates the locking forks at the front, or the two secondary rams that are about shoulder position in the top edges of the capote.

22. lrn2ride

lrn2ride Rookie

Jan 13, 2019
    Full Name:
    Eric Taub
    Thanks for the quick response. I just replaced the front latch cylinder and was topping off the reservoir...It was below the min mark so I was able to get some in. That was with the top down so I want to get a little more in. I was using a squeeze bottle with a long thin hose attached. Based on what you said I let the bottle breathe by opening up the top after I squeezed it...still lost some out of filler but was able to get the level just above the target. Thanks for your help...ran it up and down a few times and it was perfect...hopefully no more cylinder failures...I used Cabriolet Hydraulics in Sarasota FL. I did a Mercedes rebuild with them as well...highly recommended!

EastMemphis likes this.
  23. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    I’ve read all of this post and I don’t see any mention of flushing out the existing fluid and replacing it with new fluid. What is the consensus on just adding fluid and replenishing versus flushing and replacing?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

24. LittleTino

LittleTino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Bob
    FYI - no need to panic if you strip the fill plug. I stripped mine trying to use a stubby hex. A 5/16” extractor got the plug out no problem and it’s replaced by a standard M10x1.0 pipe plug. I got this one off Amazon for around $5. https://a.co/d/i9c4kk4

And to add that Klaus at Top Hydraulics is great. Rebuilt my secondary ram extremely quick. Installed, topped off hydraulic fluid, and the hydraulic system works better than ever.

Qavion and EastMemphis like this.
  25. MountuneMr375

MountuneMr375 Rookie

Sep 25, 2023
    Wiltshire, United kingdom
    Full Name:
    Ashley ward
    Having some trouble with my roof every now and then, it won't go fully down enough for the cover to slide back over into the closed position.
    My elastics are all good and the bar folds back to the correct position in mid section and the cover opens correctly.
    The roof then proceeds to fold away, however it doesn't seem to go fully down as the cover then refuses to cover it back over.
    If I give a very light push as roof is going down into storage section as it get to very bottom the cover immediately starts to close over roof and finishes it's cycle.
    Putting up the roof I have no problems and it works straight away.
    My fluid levels are correct.
    I think it's possibly the roof material is not folding correctly or tight enough to allow the complete assembly to fit in storage section and only when I push it down does it all work.
    Much appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Ashley