A little love for Austin, TX | FerrariChat

A little love for Austin, TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ExtraTx, Jan 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I know I don't post often. However, please consider this. Mods if this is out of bounds, then delete.

My wife called me from an unknown number Tuesday. She had just run out of her building, a pediatricians office in Austin TX, because there was a man in there with a gun. She is an RN at the pediatrician office. She left her phone because obviously you just run.

Facts:

This man had gone in there on Thursday or Friday last week offering his services as a pediatrician who had terminal cancer and just wanted to help for his last days. He talked to the front desk staff only, never to a doctor. He left his card, but never "applied" for a job. They all said he looked sketchy before any of this went down. They said he was scouting the place. Looking at the doors, he asked if there were any male employees or doctors. He asked at that time when the last patients were seen for the day. It's unknown at this point if he got a call back or not.

He arrives at 4:30pm Tuesday. Two duffel bags and a pistol. He tells the employees who didn't flee to bind themselves with zip ties. He tells them he wants the doctor. He did not name any names, he purely asked for "the doctor" Dr. Lindley Dodson, most likely knowing at this point what is going down, enters the room where an employee is binding herself and 2 others are about to do the same. She says she is the doctor. He sets the others free after about 45 minutes and holds her captive.

Ultimately according to the Police, he shoots and kills her, then kills himself.

I don't want anything other than please donate to her fund. She had 3 kids 11 and under.

No political BS, nothing but nice thoughts, kind statements. Just donate to her fund, or don't, but keep any political BS to yourself. I am heartbroken. My wife is way more heartbroken than me which I currently can't comprehend. I had to explain to my kids why mom didn't come home at normal time, tell them she is OK, then leave to go get her.

Another man, Mr. Dodson, had to tell his kids that their mother was never coming home.

Read the news, it was totally and completely senseless. Children's Medical Group in Austin Texas.

If this moves you, makes you appreciate life, or whatever, donate to her funds.

The Lindley Dodson Education Foundation - Austin, Texas for her children

https://www.gofundme.com/f/loving-su...-medical-group for the practice she owned.

My wife was there, she ran out because a gunman came in. He tied up her coworkers and murdered her boss. They have 3 young children. Now the father has 3 young children to care for without their mother.

Now all the people who work in that practice get to "play" the what if game. What if I had tackled him, what if I hadn't run, what if. It could have been better, most likely it would have been worse.

Dr. Lindley Dodson gave her life so that her employees didn't have to, all for senseless violence. I have no doubt she knew what she was stepping into, all the employees knew there was a gunman in the building. And yet she took that chance to save her people.

I am heartbroken. How can this happen in a pediatricians office? Why????

Thank you,

Jon Francis
    General Manager and co-owner of AF1 Racing.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Please do me a favor. If you don't want to donate, that's totally fine. Many have seen it on the news, but it really hit too close to home because my wife was in the building.

Send them a postcard, a letter, anything saying "We are sorry for your loss"

Yes Lindley not Lindsey. She was the one killed by the other person.

I won't name her kids, but something to the effect of "To the family of Dr. Lindley Dodson, Please know that your loss has been felt around the world"

Sent to:

Dr. Lindley Dodson
    Children's Medical Group
    1912 W 35th St
    Austin, TX 78703
    USA

I will be forever grateful, whether it comes from Austin, somewhere in TX, or somewhere else in the world. This is a family struggling with a horrible loss and anything we can all do to help just a little will go a long way. She had kids 11, 7 and 5. Maybe her husband can show her postcards from around the world, and they can take some little comfort in that.

Thank you forum friends.

3. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes it horrible. Prayers for everyone involved.

However, had there been someone there armed, trained, & prepared, we might only be talking about the gunman being deceased. These types of crazy disturbed people will never cease to exist. It's how we prepare to deal with them that will make a difference.

4. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Again I have no desire dig this deep, however should a pediatrician's office need an armed guard? Trust me, we've all played out the scenarios. Yes it would have been fantastic if someone dropped him in the parking lot. However that's not realistic, even in Texas.

So if you are moved, donate or send a letter or post card. What's done is done, we can play what if all day long but we will all get banned and nothing will change.

Send love, send support, send happy thoughts. Please don't send any "what if" scenarios. There are plenty of those and they are all too little to late.

Texas Forever and Big Swole like this.
  5. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David

I wasn't suggesting an armed "guard". Simply a law abiding 2nd Amendment believing well trained worker, civilian, patient, etc. would do.

As a police officer of 15 years, firearms instructor for close to 30 years, and a person that carries Everywhere I go, I only wished I had been there or someone like me.

I'll help any way I can and send something in support as well.

JasonMiller likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    really sad to read this all,
    but what had this all to do in the boxer/TR/M thread?

BigTex likes this.
  7. ExtraTx

ExtraTx Rookie

Jan 25, 2019
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jon
    only place I post on this forum. Sorry if out of bounds the mods will delete. I'm full 2A and "if" I was there. "IF" lots of people have the "IF" right now. Sadly there was no "if" so I just hope that some of my forum folks who saw this on the news or whatever and can say hey a fellow TR owner was involved yeah I can donate a tire, fuel pump, whatever, or just send them a post card from somewhere saying sorry for your loss. 3 kids aged 11 and under lost their mom. I am well aware this isn't a boxer post. I own a forum, I hit them up too. Won't get banned from there. Don't care if I get banned from here, this is way more important. @Big Swole trust me I wish I was there.

Big Swole likes this.
  8. VColin

VColin Karting

Aug 5, 2012
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Vince
    Thank you for posting for her and her family, Jon. I'm sure there are at least a few of us on this forum who either knew Lindley or know someone who did.
    Now that the thread is in the Texas sub-forum, hopefully more will see it.

9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Another close tie, for me....I didn't know, until last Sunday.

Doctor Lindley was a Baton Rouge native and a member at the First Presbyterian Church in her youth.
    Graduate of LSU Medical School and was considered tops in her field, the best and the brightest.

Her parents Mom teaches Law at LSU and her Dad is an attorney in Baton Rouge.
    It was a leading story here all last week, I admit myself I did not pay close attention as it's just "another nut case in Austin" ....but last Sunday made it personal.

I really think it odd, that a doctor would carry this out.
    We ALL have the same "death sentence" the day we arrive.....