83QV cabin air system dead | FerrariChat

83QV cabin air system dead

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Eddie.h, Jan 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Went to turn on the AC and nothing happened. No fan, no heater, no defrost. Checked all the fuses, main connections and switches. Everything looks good but system is not working. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    1. Does the cabin blower work at full speed, but not at any lower speed?

or

2. No cabin blower at any speed?

3. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Yes not a bad idea to check. It many times only works at full fan speed on my '85 QV Cab. It is correctly charged with R12 and blows very cold. Sometimes the lower far speeds on the dial work. Doesn't bother me enough to look into it further. I chalk it up to "Italian charm". ;)

4. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Choice number 2. No blower at any speed. With the AC or the AE buttons pushed no fan no compressor no heat nothing. The whole system is dead.

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Probably, either you have no +12V power to run the AC system, or the Pushbutton/ECU requesting the HVAC system to turn "on" has failed in some way. To functionally confirm that there is +12V power available to run the AC system, first unplug the w connector to see if the terminal with the two brown wires is horribly burned up. If it seems OK, plug it back in, and measure the voltage between the brown wires in the w connector and ground for the two conditions described in this jpeg (this pic is actually of a Swiss Mondial 3.2 fuse-relay panel so the wiring is different, but the general connector locations are the same):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Please advise your results for Test 1 and Test 2 (if you pass both = bad sign for the Pushbutton/ECU itself, but still can be a bad connection somewhere).

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Power supply is fuse number 18 from lh side (20A). and the relay is middle row, 2nd in from rh side ( bosch 0332014113). Same as relay for low beams so you can swap to prove it is working. Relay for low beams is middle row and 4 in from rh side

7. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks Mike and Steve, will check both of those tomorrow. Will let you know.

8. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for the info. Checked on wires and found these.

9. Eddie.h

Eddie.h Karting

Mar 30, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Can’t get photos to upload. Will try later. Anyway the whole system works now.

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Well, having your w connector being cut to pieces is maybe a subtle clue that there's been trouble at those brown wires before ;). Having the female spade-style terminals used instead of the 2-prong female terminals is a good step up terminal-wise for connection reliability, but it still requires the wires be properly swagged to the terminal (those don't look too good IMO).

The green wires don't have anything to do with the HVAC system, but they do supply all the power from the key controlled services relay to run the key controlled items (windows, etc.).

But glad you've got it working!

Eddie.h likes this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Eddie.h likes this.