430 - Suspension and wheel questions | FerrariChat

430 Suspension and wheel questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by DCAT, Jan 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DCAT

DCAT Rookie

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cataldo
    Hi Gents, I presently own a 328GTS and I am looking at upgrade options, either a F430 Spider or a 458 Spider. This will be a cruiser and driven sparingly, that said I think the pricing of the 430 is more attractive for my intended uses, understand the performance of the 458 is notably better. All that said, the only thing I don’t like about the 430 is the ride height and factory wheel fit. Does anyone have an opinion/recommendation about spring replacement or coil over upgrades, similarly best option for filling out the wheel wells, spacers or a different/aftermarket wheel?

Thank you
    D

2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    430 is a coilover suspension. You can do whatever you want with the rideheight and wheels that fit with or without spacers. A common Ferrari problem is long nose vs the front axle centerline compared to say a BMW. This makes the departure angle much greater in the BMW and shallow in the Ferrari so you scrape everything when lowered. New Ferraris have front lifts integral with the suspension or many others like CribJ's 550 has retrofited lifts on the coils. CO suspension is the simplest to adjust RH. Just remember the car was design a factory RH. RH is critical to how a car handles especially at extremes. Some immediately think does not matter to me I'm not track driving but this is important for street emergency maneuvers too, especially for less talented street drivers. When you change RH good and bad things can happen. So unless you know what you are doing and understand the compromises you should stick to factory. It can also be harder to find parts or be forced to fabricate things like a bumpsteer correction kit often needed for lowered cars. Do you know "how to" or do you trust a person to bumpsteer your car and procure or fabricate a bumpsteer correction? You have to measure it to see if you even need correction.

Finally, you can customize Ferrari suspensions. As an example I find the 550M too GT for me. I did the suspension math and came up with my own spring rates and used Moton double adjustable shocks and lathe cut delrin bushings to replace all the rubber. That's a lot of work and you need to know a few things. There could be an already thought out 430 coilover kit based around a name brand shock like MCS, Penske, or JRZ.

Wheels a wheel. A wheel/tire combo can have the effect of RH change without effecting the designed suspension movement but it can effect the departure angle of the nose. I don't like big wheels and rubberband thin tires. Cosmetics is in the eye of the beholder. Wheel offsets and widths can definitely effect performance. Sometimes you can fudge offset with spacers. Look here https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/f430-aftermarket-wheels-20-20-or-20-21-setup.591819/

Themaven likes this.
  4. F131 one of one

F131 one of one Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Taco Vonk
    BigBossF430 and Manda racing like this.
  5. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I have a F430 coupe but if comparing the spider versions I think the 458 spider looks much nicer than F430 spider.

My car is at stock height and I often crash the bump stops when on back country roads. I personally wouldn't want to lower...

Ray Smith likes this.
  6. DCAT

DCAT Rookie

Sep 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dennis Cataldo
    Thanks so much for the information. I do, in fact, have a lot of knowledge of suspensions and set up etc. I think I was completely ignorant to realizing that the car actually has adjustable coil overs from the factory, unexpected, but that certainly solves the ride height question. Similarly, I would not have initially thought about the angle of departure/initiation, the longer front definitely plays a part in how low you can go. That said, the pictures of the cars you provided that are lower and with wider wheel positions definitely, in my opinion, make the car much nicer in appearance. To each his own. Tough decisions all around, guess you never know if they are right until you live with the car for a good period of time. Again, thanks.

7. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I would just lower on the factory coilovers. Should be low enough for anybody, and definitely by far the cheapest alternative.

Once you go to Coilovers, you're really only left with KW, or going custom with MCS/Nitron and stuff like that. Anyhting else would definitely be a downgrade over OEM.

Manda racing likes this.
  8. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Hey, I’m running the KW HLS2 coilovers which is essentially their V3 coilovers with hydraulic lift. Trust me, it’s worth the money.

Quality and track performance is on par with Moton/MCS. My lift button is located in my centre console, with a touch of a button it raises in less than 5 seconds. I’ll need to measure how much it raises at least 2-2,5”.

A few months ago I raised the ride height and one of my collars was seized. My mechanic removed the shock, KW customer support helped get the appropriate hydraulic fluid and tips for freeing up the collar. Both my mechanic and I were both impressed with their customer service.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/kw-suspensions-kw-hls2-ferrari-f430-complete-kit-incl-kw-v3-coilovers-33642223.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Wheel spacers alter the suspension geometry, altering the roll center by increasing the length of the lever arms (the A-arms). It's not a good idea. It adversely effects handling that engineers worked hard to build into the car. Google "roll center versus CG" for the actual math with diagrams. It also puts more load on wheel bearings.

And lowering a car that is already very low seems more for show than functionality. Unless you're going to the Bonneville Salt Flats for a land speed record, and want to minimize air build-up under the car, lowering only increases the likelihood that you'll scrap something expensive. It might get you a complimentary membership in an East LA Low Rider Club.

But hey, it's your ride.

Ray

10. BigBossF430

BigBossF430 Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Monterey CA
    Full Name:
    BigBoss
    I love my 430, I didn’t like the monster truck look, so I lowered it on challenge coil overs, 19” challenge wheels are perfect. Might get some 20” when I make up my mind on something that looks better than what I have.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

clean512, Flea7, honda corse and 3 others like this.
  11. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Monster truck look?

Major hyperbolic rhetoric ...

Ray

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Maybe. You have to figure out how much travel you loose by lowering stock setup. If you get into bumpstops on shocks you can have very unpredicatable even dangerous handling when you need it most. That MCS JRZ Penske setup will be most likely on shorter shock body with more travel at lower ride height. It really is a chess game to get things sorted. one change effects another and so on.

honda corse likes this.
  13. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    You can also swap out the OEM spring to stiffer Novitec springs. This way you can still use the factory settings.

14. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    ...you obviously have not pushed your car to the limits. It's not just for show. also, racing team use spacers for all types of race setups.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Porsche offered spacers as factory options. Biggest effect is slightly more grip on the end with the spacers.

16. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Newtonian mechanics tell the tale. Engineering is a series of tradeoffs. The designer created a product with certain criteria in mind and the various parts on the car are designed to fit within those parameters. Start altering things willy-nilly and unforeseen consequences result. While I don't push my 430 to the limit of adhesion, I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and my education tells me that, absent other alterations, simply making the wheels stick out further, other than gaining you membership in a low rider club, is not a good idea.

When a racing team adds spacers, you can bet a lot of analysis went into the design of other parts of the car that will be affected. The average owner, who refers to anti-roll bars as "sway bars" (which were used on station wagons in the '50s and '60s) is just guessing when he or she alters the suspension geometry.

I'm curious, do you race your car? If so, in what sanctioned series?

Ray

nickorette likes this.
  17. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I didn't say anything about racing professionally and I'm not going to justify an answer to your silly question..... but you go on and calculate away with your pencil and paper and drive the speed limit.;)

18. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    So where do you push your car to the limits?

Ray

19. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Walmart parking lot...I love to serve in and out of the parked RVs.

clean512 and Marcoboxer like this.
  20. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    A good example of shade-tree engineering is the owner(s) who replaced the OEM front wheel/tire combo with larger wheels and tires. The result? The system interpreted the difference in wheel speed between front and rear (fronts exactly 10 rpm slower than the OEM front tires) and decided something was wrong somewhere so it started locking the E-Diff, causing the F1 pump to run excessively. This is what happens when you do not understand physics and complex systems and their interactions.

BTW, Stef's SEB eliminates this problem.

Ray

21. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Ah, autocross ...

22. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    lol...seriously?

23. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    The Honda CRXs rule ...

Rich guys just replace the cones with RVs ... more challenging that way ...

Ray

24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    And the Porsche engineers made certain to modify everything on the car that would be affected by the increased lever arm length ...

25. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith