F8 or STO? | Page 60 | FerrariChat

F8 or STO?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dustman, Nov 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You did at the time.

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Surprised he doesn't have a LA Ferrari yet as no other car can tickle his fancy.

BTW Dustman get a LA Ferrari !!! FULL STOP.

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Not sure where you got that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Your post was a couple of years ago. You lamented the fact that it took quite some time for your Performante to be sold and you lost a considerable amount on the sale.

SLDriver and Boomhauer like this.
  5. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    New review posted online...

Super Trofeo Omologato – sounds like a prescription cocktail served in Naples’ shadiest bars. It isn’t, but the effects in this new Lamborghini Huracan STO supercar are (I would imagine) remarkably similar: palpitations, inflated ambitions, a thrilling sense of invincibility, climax. But don’t worry, it’s all good, clean fun. And what isn’t will polish out.

Lambo’s Huracan STO is effectively a street version of Sant’Agata’s one-make racer and the wildest Huracan yet.

Colour me very interested...
    In the Nardo pitlane, my early Huracan STO prototype awaits. In case you missed the initial reveal, let me give you the specs: the Huracan EVO’s manic V10, a 3.0sec sprint to 62mph and all out of ideas at 193mph. While those performance figures are a notch slower and lower than a ‘regular’ Huracan EVO, there’s a lot more to the STO than that.

The STO also gets firmer springs, four fistfuls of adjustable magnetic 2.0 dampers, hollow anti-roll bars as strong as steel rods, a wider track (by 10mm up front; 16mm out back), a bespoke brake-based locking diff and tweaked kinematics all-round.

Full details of the Huracan STO here

But none of these modifications would kick your inner PlayStation into gear if it wasn’t for the game-changing ground-effect aerodynamics. The STO has a fixed rear wing which can be adjusted with a toolkit between five angles. In its most extreme position, it helps – together with the new integrated front spoiler/nose – to increase the downforce over the old Performante by another 53 per cent (to 480kg) at 175mph.

To arrive at the STO’s dry weight of 1339kg, R&D has cleared out the cabin, fitted door panels and a clamshell bonnet made of carbonfibre-reinforced plastic, added a reinforcing rear arch made of titanium and mounted lightweight wheels. The car’s brain has been re-programmed for more aggressive torque vectoring and a locking ratio of up to 40 per cent on the e-diff.

Jump in and poke around!
    The lead vehicle is a proper Huracan Trophy Evo racer (read our review of that, here) and at the wheel is instructor Mario Fasaneo. His laps of the Puglian handling circuit out-number mine 11,678 to 89.

The STO’s race seats are shaped for jockeys, and you’re clamped into them via four-point harnesses. Forcing yourself into the high-performance body glove can be embarrassing but, once seated, the driving position is more comfortable than it appears thanks to the 50mm lower seat base now standard across the Huracan range. Visibility is excellent straight ahead, peep-box restricted to the sides and non-existent aft of the shoulders. In the rear-view mirror you see only a close-up of the rollcage – a Lego Technic installation that frames the world behind you.

Here, you’ve a choice of three drive modes: full-on Trofeo, road-ready STO and Pioggia, Italian for rain. Then there’s ESC on or off. Roger that?

Yes – let’s go already!
    Firing up the V10 is like swapping Spotify for good old vinyl, big amps and King Kong speakers. Who wants batteries when burning petrol can create such a hypnotic soundtrack, summon enough punch to momentarily tack one’s skull to the headrest and generate more power than two obese 305/30 ZR20 Bridgestone Potenzas can handle in first, second and third gear? Fast? Oh yes. Once this howler monkey of an engine picks up the throttle-controlled banana scent it goes nuts.

At first the STO confuses with an odd mix of the familiar and the unusual. At 13:1 versus 16:1 the steering is a fair bit quicker now, and this extra directness also extends to the rear-wheel steering. Turn-in is sensational, as is the streak of superglue front-end grip that follows. Even when treated to an X-rated helping of excessive entry speed the nose still duly flings itself at the apex, tyres bonding with the tarmac at a molecular level. Understeer? Thanks, but no thanks.

It’s a surreal experience early on, but by mid-morning such addictive front-end response is the new normal. On the circuit, this minimum-loss, big-gain set-up supports faster direction changes, radical corner-entry lines and quantifiably faster exits. In STO mode, heroes won’t be penalised for clumsy throttle inputs. In Trofeo with ESC off, however, the rear-drive STO sets you free to make your own mistakes.

As the sun sets, I have one last session: the goal to try to stick with Mario, at least through the slower esses and in the braking zones. Though it has the massive forward thrust thing covered, the Huracan STO also cuts a fine figure under braking. Assisted by the finest Japanese rubber in a shark’s-teeth compound, the STO’s bigger carbon-ceramic discs reduce the Huracan’s braking distances by half a car length from 60mph to zero. While absolute stopping power is up 25 per cent, dedicated cooling elements ensure the system’s stress resistance – and thus its immunity to fade – is up by 60 per cent.

Lamborghini Huracan STO: first impressions
    The next day, waiting for a connecting flight, my body’s still compiling a list of STO-inflicted pains and wounds. Like that fast-growing blister on the right upshift finger, the ooh-ah bruises the so-called seat embossed on my bum and thighs, and the firmly engraved grin. Such collateral damage is only sustained when a car conquers all five (nay, six) senses: by blurring your vision over crests; by tingling your tongue with the acidic whiff of brakes; by stuffing your ears with a volume-to-11 jam session; by pinioning your body to its bucket seat with unrelenting brutality.

The STO exposes your mind to challenges, g-forces and, ultimately, a level of satisfaction so rich it wants to be treasured in that secret compartment marked Truly Great Moments in Life.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/lamborghini/huracan-sto/

Coincid and Boomhauer like this.
  6. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    so yeah...there ya go...that article proclaims the STO as a game-changer. I had a Pista and in retrospect, it wasn't that memorable. For ME a GT3RS is 10x more fun vs a Pista. MAYBE...just maybe the STO is the car that so many of us have been searching for. If not, we keep searching...(not so bad :)
    We have a 718 Spyder and an RS6 Avant incoming. We DO have a spot for a STO....talk about a dream garage. VAG better send us a nice Christmas present...

Ash Patel, Coincid, Boomhauer and 5 others like this.
  7. Mortarion

Mortarion Karting

Jun 6, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Jase
    Some hardcore track guys who drive on the Nürburgring were complaining there is no option for a 6 point harness, unlike the Porsche GT2/3RS.

8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Well said my friend. Well said.
    The homers may fry you for exposing the reality of the Pista however!
    Cant wait to hear about your 718s experiences. When does it arrive?

Boomhauer, SLDriver and 09Scuderia like this.
  9. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    May and the Rs6 in March.

10. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow, you have a good memory.
    Did take a few months.
    MSRP was 330k, sold for 285k through dealer after 1 year and little over 3k miles.
    I just think for a somewhat overhyped car it did not “hold” value as a Ferrari might. But that’s normal depreciation for some exotics, actually not bad.
    Traded for Speciale which obviously has “held” value much better. Loved the Speciale and miss it.
    All personal choice.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Helping out I see...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    The Perf is a brilliant car but it took a while for people to realize it which is why the coupes have shot up in value and are holding steady. Perf coupes are selling for $270k, high spec'd cars close to $285k+ and it's the middle of winter during a global pandemic.

Thecadster, Coincid and Boomhauer like this.
  13. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Gh21631, Shack and Boomhauer like this.
  14. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    One other point worth making, no one really knows how many Performante’s were brought to the US, but everyone agrees that it was a crap ton more than Speciale’s. The estimates range from 5 to 10 times as many. And yet, at any given time, far fewer Performante’s are available in the secondary market (for example, currently on Autotrader, it’s 20 versus 22). I am pleasantly surprised at how high the Performante is trading at.

Full Disclosure: I have had one since Dec 2017 and I love it.

Boomhauer and Coincid like this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I actually have an eidetic memory. Proved invaluable in sailing through my academic career. Never had to study for an exam. Simply read the material once.

Boomhauer likes this.
  16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow wish I had your memory for med school! Could have used it

Boomhauer, Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Sorry I don’t mean to burst your bubble.....

Based on the Pandemic with the government printing money and the stock market going full steam ahead many humans in the US have had excess cash to play with.

With sports, entertainment, dining out & travel basically shut down or significantly reduced and expensive vacations off the agenda for the foreseeable future, supercars have been one of the few available outlets and its driven sales. Most of these sales have happened in the $50k-$300k end of the supercar market.

May the Horse be with you

Shack, Coincid, dustman and 2 others like this.
  18. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So that’s an interesting point as they are within in 10 - 15% of each other.

Which would you prefer?

A Speciale or Perf?

May the Horse be with you

19. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I agree. The only thing I would change is the alcantara steering wheel (I'd go leather). They age before their time. The rest of the interior is tastefully done.

Assuming you took this pic at a reveal, did they have the previous version (ST?) there as well? I saw it and loved the racing control panel, and in particular the 'blower' button. Was curious what it did - turn on a turbo, or just draw more air into the car, lol.....

Boomhauer likes this.
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I prefer the Perf, but you can’t go wrong with either.

Condor Man, Boomhauer and dustman like this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    This photo is from the review of the STO posted above.

22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    A leather steering wheel may wear better over time but I love the sensuous feel of my hands grasping the alcantara.

Thecadster and Shack like this.
  23. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    Is there any news with regard to the Pista successor?
    Would most likely be the more suitable challenger for the STO.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Good question. Performance wise, the Pista should beat the Perf and perhaps the STO as well. As for the enjoyment and visceral experience, hands down Perf and STO (likely). 765lt is the king of the hill and there’s little evidence an F8speciale could get anywhere near it. Ferrari doesnt seem to care about winning performance or hearts and minds of true enthusiasts anymore. But that stock is performing and F have taken over the gold chain wearing image from Lambo with the focus on hoodie and hat sales vs cars. I say that as I look for another F car....

Gh21631, Shack, WM458 and 1 other person like this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Different strokes for different folks. Talk about showing my age.