What have you done to your Ferrari Today? | Page 111 | FerrariChat

What have you done to your Ferrari Today?

Discussion in '308/328' started by SteveGTB, Feb 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santa Fe Jeff

Santa Fe Jeff Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2015
    Santa Fe, NM
    Du_Man, thanks for the link! I'm on the case with Jason now. Also looking into the possibility for my 400i

Du_Man likes this.
  2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    She came back from her major. She has 100,130

Word of warning - this major was a late. 5 years slipped by as I haven't driven her as much and I missed the due date. She had 20K on her since her last major.
    The belt came off showing wear. Stress lines. The teeth were fine. The tensioner bearing had play and was (probably) low on grease. She/I dodged a bullet.

Jbrauer likes this.
  3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I had my fuse board rebuilt as well as a 4 wheel alignment. I asked the dealer to re install the LED fog lights, they did not recommend I use them, I insisted, they are low wattage and high output. I think I can pick it up on Monday.

Thank you

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    48969 likes this.
  5. RicSinger

RicSinger Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2016
    San Diego California
    Harry-SZ and Milkshaker0007 like this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Same old, same old (again) = high speed ambulance for the cats...

The big Tom that lives in my garden came yesterday with a front paw infected, twice the size as the other one...picked up the "wrong fight" again, perhaps, but we don't know what happened to his opponent. Took off to the Vet emergencies once more with the 328 GTB yesterday afternoon; they kept "fighting Tom" for the night, cleaned the infection this morning; had to collect him this morning, with a bit of snow on the roads. Now he is grounded, and that's the most difficult part...

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nicolas21, Jbrauer, Harry-SZ and 4 others like this.
  7. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    miketuason likes this.
  8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not sure but it’s some kind of hard aluminum or maybe one of those aircraft aluminum material.

9. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    hi Mike
    might have already mentioned so sorry in advance, where did you obtain that from, as my 328 could do with one of those as protection
    thanks

10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Paul! I just did a search about skid plate and just realized that I got mine form Danielcookson when he offered a group buy back in 2007. Here’s the old thread: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/308-skid-plate.171706/ try to reach out to him by PM or email I’m sure he has some more laying around.

11. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    I pulled off the alternator for a rebuild. Got it the next day with new bearings and voltage regulator. $108.00 including tax. It's a bit of a challenge swapping it out. Unfortunately, it's kicking out 16.5 volts at the battery. Crap, removed it again and am returning it tomorrow for a replacement regulator.

12. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    thanks mike,
    was just about to send him a message but says last seen on here 2012 ? i'll try anyway
    thanks

13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I am interested in a skid plate too.

14. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
  15. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
  16. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    no problem Brian. Shipping is surprisingly quick also. I wonder if you can refrain from buying other items. ;) It's tough

17. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    Today I shot a full video and did a photo shoot of my 1985 308 GTS QV 3.4L 300whp Restomod by Newman.

RodC328gts and 48969 like this.
  18. Cirorsi

Cirorsi Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2016
    Louisiana / Lac du Saint Sacrement, NY
    Full Name:
    Steven
    David,
    Paul did a fantastic job on that build, what a beautiful 308.

Big Swole likes this.
  19. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
    Tell us about the performance of that 3.4 300 hp :)

Big Swole likes this.
  20. Paul Kane

Paul Kane Karting

May 27, 2020
    Rickmansworth UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Kane
  21. Big Swole

Big Swole Karting

Jun 20, 2020
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    David
    #2771 Big Swole, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021

Well the sad thing is, I've never driven a stock 308 QV, so I can't accurately describe the difference.
    Also having another car that makes over 600 whp, it's hard to call it "Fast" by comparison.
    However, what I can say is, this is the PERFECT amount of HP for this size / weight of car.
    This 3.4L 308 is a BLAST to drive!! It does something to me that my other cars / past cars can't / didn't / couldn't.
    This is definitely the type of HP Ferrari should have put into these car from the factory.

There are some driving vids on my YouTube (Ferrari playlist).
    Interceptor2500

View full playlist

Cirorsi and ragtop1 like this.
  22. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Karting

Sep 9, 2013
    Washington, DC.
    Full Name:
    "VD"
    Replaced my crank pulley seal today. It was leaking a little, and with the engine out of the car, there was no reason not to.

Interestingly, the last person who replaced it (presumably at Ferrari of Salt Lake City, who serviced it from new until I bought the car) jimmied the factory seal out with either a.) a flat-blade screwdriver, or quite possibly b.) the end of a samurai sword. Not sure which, but based on the scratch marks on on the aluminum case, I'm leaning towards the latter. And, to add insult to injury, he didn't even replace it with a proper OEM part. The generic auto-part seal he used instead, combined with his ham-fisted insertion of same, created some really scary little aluminum threads. I suspect these were safely trapped under the seal while it was installed, but when I removed it, they suddenly became an existential threat to every bearing in my engine, and had to be carefully extracted. I just hope I got them all.

Anyway, who would have guessed it, but it turns out you can buy specialty Ferrari tools in the plumbing department at your local Home Depot!

In order to install the new crank pulley seal (and do a better job of it than the previous garage monkey did) I bought a two-inch diameter female-female steel pipe coupling, and threaded neck-down adapter. Screwing the latter into the former allowed me to adjust the overall height of my improvised tool to the required spec. I polished one end of it, greased the other, than slapped big fender washer atop it to interface with the engine’s own crank-pully screw. I carefully placed the new seal in position, that put the coupling over the top of it. Once the screw was threaded into the crank shaft extension, all I had to do was slowly drive it in with my ratchet, and the seal was pushed into place. It worked perfect!

Oh, and yes, I know that the rear cam drive sprocket retaining nut in the photo below is horribly mangled. Don't get me started on that. If you haven't had the pleasure of trying to get one of those off, let me tell you, it's a treat. I finally did get if free yesterday, after removing 30% of it *with a oscillating saw*. And no, I didn't damage the threads on the shaft. (Talent!) but I will definitely be upgrading to a hex-nut on the rebuild. Preferably made out of something harder than the Parmesan cheese the factory part was cut from. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ragtop1, waymar and Du_Man like this.
  23. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Sunny day today, so decided it was time for the first top-off drive of the year with the GTS; early in the morning; 6° Celsius, or 43° fahrenheit at 8:00, but we all know these cars have plenty of heating. Windows up, it was allright, perhaps a bit cold on the hands and ears. Top-off, but face mask on, we live through strange times!

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    It's me or I may know this car ? :):)

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011