Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA | Page 55 | FerrariChat

Just sold my Ferrari to buy more TSLA

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JERRYZ, Feb 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    where are you getting your data from? Robinhood says Tesla is the #2 most all-time bought and held stock through them and NIO at #5.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    ^Yes, Ford for whatever has been up there for quite some time back when Robintrack had that data. Makes no sense to me...neither do any of the stocks on that list either lol.

ChipG likes this.
  3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    where are you getting your data from? Robinhood says Tesla is the #2 most all-time bought and held stock through them and NIO at #5

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1354 freshmeat, Jan 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    As another member has already mentioned, that list isn’t ranked in order. I don’t have the monthly screenshots from Robintrack, but NIO has consistently been the Robinhood EV favorite ever since TSLA broke $1,500 pre-split and that was awhile ago. Not sure why we’re belaboring this, if

Contrary to Robinhooders and folks who only read the headlines every now and then without doing their due diligence, my view of NIO is very pessimistic, but Robinhooders and the like will drive the shares up to a certain time, just like they did with NKLA. It’s always a good trade idea not to fight the trend.

And anyone expecting an Apple EV to be cheap is going to lose his shirt on that bet. It was never and will never be in Apple’s interest to sell something cheap. Nor is their secret battery chemistry of iron phosphate secret at all...TSLA cars are already rolling off the line w it and so are many other Chinese EVs. Do your research, not the marketing headlines.

Mark this post.

5. JERRYZ

JERRYZ Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Teslas margins are much better. They sell full price to the consumer. S class has to be sold at wholesale prices to their dealers.

6. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    losing $20k a car for years is not better

Bas likes this.
  7. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
  8. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1359 freshmeat, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Not sure what point ChipG is trying to make. Just to be clear, no one who is bullish on TSLA is claiming there will ever only be 1 EV manufacturer. He also obviously doesn’t understand tech in general...

Go buy your Ford, VW whatever...enjoy that 200mi range and clunky software. Porsche Taycan drives pretty nice though...but man no supercharger network, no range and costs bank $$$. None of these OEMs are vertically integrated, until they do, they’ll always be lagging and operating in tight-negative margins just to try to catch up.

JERRYZ likes this.
  9. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    You made the right decision. TLSA is quite likely going to 4K. Maybe even more. Cathy Woods is deeply on board and she is the Cindy Crawford of Investing.

JERRYZ likes this.
  10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Plaid performance really though makes u wonder why get a newer Ferrari. Classics seem to make
    More sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JERRYZ and plastique999 like this.
  12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    This is when you move up to the new generation 458 or 488. As they put it in the 2010 Top Gewr review of the then brand new 458.... “the 458 is 200 years more advanced than the 430.” I think you should give the 458 or 488 a look before going the Elon Musk route!

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Dom and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  14. Natkingcolebasket69

If Im Ferrari Im worried: if the sounds are gone, performance it’s reaching its limits (see plaid models)...why even bother?

And I love my ferraris

JERRYZ and Dom like this.
  15. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Does that mean the charging infrastructures and power grid will be able to handle ALL EVs within 15 years? Just asking for PG&E.

16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well, considering PG&E is based in Sunny California, why not get solar as well? Two birds, one stone. The average solar cost installation is 15k. The average Californian spends $1400 in gas a year. The average household size is 2. That’s $2800 a year you save going electric. Or put another way, you paid for your solar panels in about 5 years.

Base model Tesla is 37k. Average new car price in. America is 40k.

I just paid for my solar panel roof and get free energy for the next 25 years, on gas savings alone. Environment be dammed. I like saving money. Also, I like being independent of the grid. Not to mention the equity it adds to a home.

I mean, I like to burn money too; that’s what my two ICE Ferrari are for. Just cuz I have a vinyl record player doesn’t mean I turn my nose to Spotify. I mean, I love Patek Phillipe but I don’t think Apple Watch is trash.

plastique999 likes this.
  17. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    In CA we have blackouts when it gets too hot or the wind blows in the wrong direction. So EV replacing IC engines completely is a pipe dream until we have reliable electricity supply. At least one can fire up the car and drive around with AC on when there is a blackout because of the heat. Good luck with your EV unless you have a solar panels, which is another substantial investment. The numbers just do not add up for an average person.

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I'm a founder of 4 software companies and a VC for tech companies. Good luck to you :)

19. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Who is buying TSLA on the dip?

20. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

Buy the Dip, Short VIX, Fuk Bitcoin

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Bas likes this.
  21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Then you should know better. And which companies?

JERRYZ and ChipG like this.
  22. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I feel like TSLA is a perpetual/infinite short squeeze. Will just keep going up no matter what. Question is will GME keep going up...just need Elon to tweet more about GME lol.

Bas and ShineKen like this.
  23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    TSLA is definitely in a perpetual short squeeze. Company performance will probably never match-up to its valuation in a sensible way. Only way prices are coming down is through constant bad news and general market coming down - like what it’s doing right now.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Edited for accuracy. Sadly when you look at say twitter/reddit, that is exactly what they're saying: There is a firm believe among Tesla investors that in around 10 years Tesla is one of if not the only company selling new cars. It's as if they're completely oblivious to the fact that any other serious manufacturer can just have a series of batteries connected to a couple of electric motors.

--

Turns out I have to eat my crow on this whole Tesla malarky. I do think I was right that the company was in dire straits and close to going under (hell, even Elon admitted as much). I still think a lot of shady dealings happened but I seriously underestimated the church of Elon followers who just kept buying the stock...man it was crazy for a long time, pre split when it was trading around 250-350, if ever it dropped a dollar you'd see these people just buying it ''because it's cheap now'' (their words, not mine). I enjoyed a decent short out of it from 300 to 180, bought it back from 200 to 250 or so and left it alone after that. I seemed right for a while and then last year it went completely bananas. It's utterly detached from reality now. I've traded it long and short here and there but haven't stayed in it for longer than half an hour I would say.

Happy for the people that made their money in it, but I don't think they realize how close they came for them to completely lose their shirt. A lot of lies where told and trickeries done moving money from company a to b just to keep it afloat.

Don't like the cars still or the cult surrounding it (have you driven one, bro?:p).

:D