Advice/Help Requested - Cheshire | FerrariChat

Advice/Help Requested - Cheshire

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by omotesando23, Jan 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. omotesando23

omotesando23 Rookie

Dec 7, 2018
    Tokyo・North West UK
    #1 omotesando23, Jan 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Hi Everyone,

Hoping I can get some advice/help here.
    I am new to England, I’ve just relocated with my family (my wife’s British) and brought my Ferrari 612 with me.

I bought an apartment in the Cheshire area and am having problems with a neighbour regarding my car’s noise.
    Long story short, the neighbour bought a unit that’s directly above the communal garage. He approached me with his complaint and tried to bully me into silencing my car as he says it’s too loud and he can hear it from his apartment. ( my car is stock, road legal, mot passed, etc ) Also, it only arrived two weeks ago and ive driven it twice..

He is quite a big person, which I’m not, and he was obviously trying to intimidate and bully me into doing something in order to get his way.
    There is a group chat for the building, where my mobile is listed, so he could have easily messaged me, but felt the need to accost me in the lobby.

I spoke with the management company and they don’t want anything to do with the situation and basically said it’s a neighbour dispute and that we should settle it ourselves. They made it clear that I obviously haven’t broken any terms with my car and that the garage is up to code, so there’s nothing they can do.

That being said, this neighbour has made it very clear that I have to do something to stop the noise of my car and I feel the harassment isn’t going to stop.
    I understand I can just tell him to **** off and he shouldn’t have bought a unit above a garage, but I have to live in the same building with him and I don’t want to live in a hostile situation. Also, I’m worried about him harassing my wife when I’m not here (I travel back and forth to Japan)

In Japan, this would be dealt with by the management company and residents never complain directly to another.. that being said, hypothetically speaking, if this happened in Japan, I would hire a lawyer and have them send a letter to the neighbour explaining that my car is road legal, the garage is up to code, etc and to direct any complaints to the lawyer and not me.

I don’t know if this is the best way to go about it?

Wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and seeking advice.

Thank you

2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Just ignore him ..if he continues to harass you advise him you will call the police if he doesnt stop.

You can try to get some proof eg recording on your phone either verbally or video...

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I am no lawyer, but I believe that harassment is both a civil and a criminal offence, so you could take him to court to get an injunction against him and if he doesn't comply he would be in contempt of court, which is a serious offence, or the Police could prosecute him and he might get a fine, possibly an Anti Social Behaviour Order against him, and a criminal record. Either way, you would need to have evidence.

You might consider getting a solicitor to write to him setting out the law and the possible consequences to him of continuing with his intimidatory behaviour - seeing it in writing from a lawyer might make him realise that you are not going to take it lying down, and that his behaviour could land him in serious trouble, so might bring him to his senses.

4. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Where is Sid when u need him ...?:rolleyes:

5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    He would have a “friend” that could help! Long since banned from here though.

I’d suggest the following:
    1) keep a record of all contact, ie date, time etc. And summary of the conversation; a tape recording if available. This could come in handy later if things escalate, which hopefully they won’t.
    2) drop your neighbour a letter, recorded delivery, stating very politely the facts a) it’s road legal, b) he lives above a garage etc so there will be some inevitable noise, and c) you will look to minimise idling time of the car etc. (Don’t say you will thought). and d) that you feel intimidated by him in his actions. Again hopefully that will put a stop to it; but if it doesn’t will be useful in the future.
    3) speak to the management company and see if there is any cctv of the encounters and request a copy.

If he persists get a lawyer straight away to write to him and speak to the police.

Over here the law like to see that you have done everything reasonable to resolve the situation yourself. So if it does end up with the police or in court the above will be key evidence that you have been reasonable.

He sounds like a typical bully. Stand your ground and keep your cool. Can be hard, been there with one particular neighbour, but take the high ground.

If he is threatening in anyway, ever, call the police immediately, that’s what they are there for.

Hopefully it will resolve itself amicably.

6. omotesando23

omotesando23 Rookie

Dec 7, 2018
    Tokyo・North West UK
    Thanks everyone for all the advice, I appreciate it.
    Looking forward to ending this amicably!

7. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Keep us posted - let us know how you get on.

8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    ...and set up some kind of CCTV / dash cam to keep an eye on your car. Pissed off people do stupid things.

9. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    Hopefully the problem goes away and I agree with the suggestion that records are kept.
    I am a lawyer and if you need some help then feel free to send me a message.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Take him for a gentle run in it, you might get him on side. Dont leave it running in the garage either.