Setting up your F1 Clutch so you don't need to lift off | FerrariChat

Setting up your F1 Clutch so you don't need to lift off

Discussion in '360/430' started by lambertius, Jan 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    So I have a Maserati Gransport - which shares the same automated manual as the 360/430 with some minor differences. I had an issue that is very common with all the cars using this transmission setup, which is I needed to lift off between gear changes in order to get a smooth engagement. This is so common that a lot of people are adamant that is the 'normal' way to drive it, or that it is a 'trick' that people worked out over time. It isn't, it is a mechanical fault which can be diagnosed using the correct tools and is observable when the clutch housing is removed. The issue is caused by the throwout bearing seizing on the drive shaft. The end of part 1 I show the specific issue with the bearing, and in part 2 I show the cause. If you need to lift off in order to get smooth engagement of the gears, this is almost certainly the issue you have and this is the fix. I'm working on a Part 3 which is a run down on the tools you need to do full diagnostics and setup of the clutch, and Part 4 will be me further testing my rebuilt solenoids.

Hopefully this helps some of you out!

2. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Pretty sure the user manual says to not lift off the gas.

DiabloTerr and lambertius like this.
  3. lambertius

lambertius Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    100% it says that, though how many people read the manual? Then when someone brings that up the usual response is 'Even if it does say that, it is just an unusual transmission and you need to get used to driving it' or some variation of 'We know more about them now they've been on the road a while'. Recently I had to get someone to drive my car to convince them that it didn't need to be done at all once it was setup correctly!

4. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Nice video thanks for the posting. A bit easier to get to transmission parts in this Ferrari.

lambertius likes this.
  5. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Yep, no lifting off the throttle. Look into Formula Dynamics for shift and throttle enhancements