Best world places you have been? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Best world places you have been?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rob lay, Oct 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
  2. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Athens, really love this city...:):):):)
    Even though the last time I was there I had a double sprained ankle
    :(:confused:

3. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Albert-LP, Bas and Nicolas21 like this.
  4. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I have never been to Peru but have only heard good things.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  5. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Cam Rahn Bay and Nha Trang, Vietnam a couple years ago. It was my first time in a communist country...pictures lasted on my phone for about a month. Then they disappeared.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else had a similar experience?

6. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    dRoger45 and 71Satisfaction like this.
  7. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    " Peru - it has incredible variety.."
    Peru was a great trip....especially when traveling by train across the Altiplano; four black Toyota pickups came speeding toward the train and the occupants were firing full auto. The train stoped and the British tourists in our car got out with video cameras to record the action. I think they thought it was a staged tourist event. They got a different impression when the baggage car was emptied and most of the contents burned by the RR tracks.

8. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    What year did that happen?

.. Yep, I've heard that back country banditry exists in Peru, probably other So.American countries too. We had private driver and guide for our last trip (which was remarkably affordable and a really good experience)... One day we told them we'd like them to take us into the backcountry foothills of the Andes, just to explore the area, go hiking to see some wilderness areas, they were careful to explain how dangerous that idea could be. We listened and didn't go.
    - Art

9. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "What year did that happen? "
    Mid-90s(?)

My second wife was (from my perspective) a fearless traveler. She left home at 17 and headed to HI because it was as far from home as possible and still be in US. While at Univ. of HI she and a friend traveled through Europe and as a Marine Bio. major spent many month traveling alone to Pacific Islands. (1970s Blond So. Cal. surfer girl) Then Med School at Univ HI, worked her way through eight years of higher Ed. as a cocktail waitress at an Asian tourist bar.

When we traveled she planned trips with opened ended travel, local transportation, ie. third rated trains in boon docks China, etc.. local buses from LaPaz to Peruvian border with chickens in cages on roof, or beat up bus traveling with locals to old hunting lodge in far Eastern Poland at mid-night, etc., etc,.

10. dRoger45

dRoger45 Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
  11. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Funny, I have been to many places around the world, not as many as some here but still "a lot". And looking back at it some were pretty cool but I never got any real "wow" factor from any place I went. Not that I consider where I live now special-it's not at all, but that is not the point--I have never been anywhere that I consider really special. I have come to the conclusion that I actually dislike traveling anywhere.

Rather stay home and read a good book. Less hassle, cheaper and actually more enjoyable for me. All of the "experiences" I have had all simply turn dull and hard to remember.

Not saying my way is better, just that traveling no longer is of any interest to me. Everyone can say that I am missing so much-but I couldn't really care......

12. mx1

mx1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2022
    CT
    Full Name:
    Danny
    Antarctica. Hands down. Like being on the moon