Respray | FerrariChat

Respray

Discussion in 'Australia' started by kryten2001, Jan 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Posted in the Aus forum due to obvious local variances...

Do you guys have a feeling for approximate anticipated costs for a quality full body respray (f355).

I'd rate my paint a 8/10 (I don't think they were really that great from the factory back then) and am looking to really get it close to a 10 - so obviously on the higher end of the cost spectrum and work done by a quality painter.

I'm going to take it to a detailer first to see if the paint can be corrected, but I think it's probably borderline as no doubt it's probably getting a bit thin after many years of polishes etc. There's absolutely no major obvious issues, it's just not as good as I'd like it to be.

Are we talking $10-20k? Any specific concerns/items I should be aware of specifically on the f355?

Thanks fellas.

2. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    IMO, if its a car you drive a lot and you can live with the current paint , leave it .

Have you had the 355 long? reason i ask ,so often people get a fresh paint job, ant it opens a can of worms .

The paint shop here in Melbourne that Zags use or is the authorised factory shop have a great name and i think the owner is a committee member of FCA VIC ?

Perhaps a call to them , even though you are in the West A.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes

4. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Thanks. Car doesn't get driven a whole lot (occasional weekends). The paint is actually probably better than most, but I'm just really picky. It's also only a few panels (drivers door, engine lid and front bumper) that need attention so maybe I'll just focus on those.

What do you mean by "Have I had the 355"...? Was the missing word "inspected" ?

Front of the car I suspect has been done at some point in the past because there's a clearcoat on the front but not on the back (!!). It's not something you can see, but it's definitely there. Red paint on the pad when polishing the back, but nothing when polishing the front.

5. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Up to you .

How long you have owned the 355?

6. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

A year and will be keeping it long term.

Arvin Grajau likes this.
  7. greg246

greg246 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    The paint shop attached to the dealer here in Sydney quoted $40-50k to paint the 575. No thanks

8. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Why not? You didn't mind paying through the nose for your switches.

9. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    Leave it alone , God knows what you will find under the paint .

Not all owners repair minor or otherwise damage metal to metal , you could be opening up a can of filler , you think Ferrari "whom would do that"

Plenty of owners and shops do.

10. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    No I don't.

11. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Still have a bee in your bonnet?

12. Horse

Horse Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Ouch

Silly signature here to annoy KIAI

13. greg246

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 2, 2004
    Sydney,Australia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    He’s just sore because he was proven incorrect

14. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’d try and find a good painter to attend to the issues you have identified.
    For example, have the front done properly.

15. Horse

Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2005
    Brisvegas
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Dumbo never forgets!

greg246 likes this.
  16. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    What? Is this opposite day?

17. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Yeah that's probably a solid idea. I just need to learn to be a bit less picky. Most of these flaws you can only see under strong light and even then only when you know where to look.

I've got that F disease where everything needs to be just so.

18. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    I haven't used this guy, but he is a friend of a friend.... I'm told his attention detail is right up there.... can also find him on Facebook.

Ps: I have not used his services.

[email protected]

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I think the problem you will have if you spend $10K+ on this full respray, you will be too scared to drive the car because you might get stone chips or scratches on it. Pretty sure PP mentioned something like this to me when he had his 355 fully resprayed.

If you do a full respray or even just have the front end done, perhaps consider having 3M Clear Bra film put on the car to help avoid those pesky stone chips on the front end.

If it were me, i'd just leave it. Sounds like it's pretty decent if it's 8 out of 10 you reckon lol.

Ferraridoc and Arvin Grajau like this.
  20. Arvin Grajau

Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    big dollars , a quality large car like a
    Well said "Pappie "

PAP 348 likes this.
  21. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Basically it's not the same quality as what you'd expect in modern paint (tiny blemishes etc), other than that it's going to be pretty close to as it was from factory, which back in the 90s isn't anywhere near as good as a modern paint job.

Most of it can be sorted out I guess, I was just curious what an entirely new paint job would run me.

22. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well, now you know.

23. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Not really. I was hoping for some answers from anybody who may have done it and any specific complications on the f355 I should consider.

24. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Absolutely! But that's why gives it it's charm I reckon. No two cars are painted exactly the same at the factory in terms of quality. :)

And don't worry, I have seen some pics a fellow member sent me of his brand new 458 Speciale with "modern paint" and it was not that flash in certain spots. He paid to have it fixed himself. :eek:

I just saw on a Holden Crewman Facebook group that I am in, someone just paid $6000 for a full respray on their big ol Crewman.

That's a lot of metallic paint on that big rig and it looks like they did a fantastic job. A spray painter just posted a comment in that same group that he quotes $10K resprays for SS sedans, so $6000 was too cheap to full respray that Crewman lol.

You can probably get your 355 painted for $5000 somewhere and they would do a good job too.

Paint shops vary SO MUCH! Someone will charge you $5000 and the next guy $20K lol.

I am in the wrong game........

Maranello550 likes this.
  25. kryten2001

kryten2001 Formula 3

Thank god It's not black otherwise I'd be even more neurotic about it.

I'll just take it into a good detailer first I suppose. As long as they can measure paint thickness, you can't really go wrong I guess. I have no idea how thick the paint is, so I'm worried about over correcting it for obvious reasons. Go too far and you're going to end in a grumpy place.