812 dash cam, phone mount, etc? | FerrariChat

812 dash cam, phone mount, etc?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by SecretSquirrari, Jan 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Plan on doing a lot of driving in my 2020 812 SF, and wonder what folks have sorted out in terms of smartphone mount (for using Waze, mostly) or dash cam, and what other things like those that I should be considering.

2. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    Im using a Blackvue 750GW 2CH as dashcam, installed with a Power Magic Pro so that it stays powered as long as the battery is fine. Films front and back, quite happy with it.

SecretSquirrari likes this.
  3. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    Thanks, Blackvue does seem to be the way to go. Who did your installation - dealer, camera vendor (e.g., local car electronics shop), DIY?

4. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I did it myself. I posted about it in one of the topics... You can probably find it by looking for my name. I put pictures and all.

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    yes he did! I used his info to self install in my Lusso

350MH83 likes this.
  6. Cavallino Nero Rampante

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    ST
    350MH83 likes this.
  7. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    After trying a number of different solutions, I've settled for this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QGN59CD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works directly with Apple MagSafe iPhones & cases, but comes with an adhesive magnet ring to make other phones and cases work with it as well. Attached with adhesive, so it's "permanent", but I don't think it will be that hard to remove when the the time comes. And, so far at least, it's been rock solid. As the pictures below show, it can be used in either portrait or landscape mode.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Nosferatu

Nosferatu Karting

Aug 31, 2022
    USA
    I see this is an older thread being bumped. I'm also looking for a phone mount. My previous car I replaced this with (Gen 2 R8) was easy peasy to mount inside the A/C vent. Not so much with these deep circular vents. I'm not looking for anything "permanent" because I do not want to ruin the interior materials. Anyone know of a mount that can plug into one of the A/C vents on this car and actually hold the phone? I know on the R8 my biggest gripe was finding a mount that could withstand the G force of fun driving. So many other cheap ones out there hold it until you hit the throttle or take a corner hard. Then down comes the mount and/or the phone.

As for dash camera, mounted Viofo A229 front and rear. Clean install works well. Everything hidden. It tucked in nicely just below the mirror so I do not even see it from the driver seat. Blackvue is trash. I have one in my RS7 it constantly "overheats" and stops recording in parking mode and the unit essentially failed after two years. The R8 I had a Thinkware in there for 4 years and when I sold the car it still worked great. Never "overheated." Viofo A129/A229 are considered great bang for your buck. Look online most dash cameras use the same system on a chip (SOC) so you're paying more and not getting much extra. See photos.

9. SecretSquirrari

SecretSquirrari Karting

Dec 3, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    J
    That was my issue. None of the early removable solutions were robust enough to deal with spirited driving, and I wasn't willing to damage anything. Nor did I want something suction cupped to the windshield since those would block at least some visibility. I think (and admit it may be wishful thinking) that this adhesive-on-metal solution will not result in damage to the finish when and if I have to remove it. In the meantime, it has given me a very sturdy mount, and one that puts the phone in a really good position - it's easily visible yet does not block anything that matters.