NoVA (Loudoun County) Tax Assessment | Page 2 | FerrariChat

NoVA (Loudoun County) Tax Assessment

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by MKTViper, Jun 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    I've got an idea for a new reality series for Billionaires:

It's where Dan Snyder, Owner of the Washington Redskins and John Schnatter, Founder of Papa Johns Pizza trade companies.

Better yet, when NFL games resume, Dan Snyder has Papa John be a stunt double on the sidelines during games. People would be like " That's not Dan Snyder, that's Papa John."

It just goes on the whole NFL season, nobody can prove that Papa John isn't Dan Snyder.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    For the record, you are supposed to pay property tax on vehicles parked in the county for more than 30 days of the year, regardless of state of registration.

E60 M5 likes this.
  3. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    For Montana, if you do it right, it is an LLC based in Montana that owns the car and not you personally. This has been litigated several times by several states (namely Texas and California) and in each case, the states have lost as it would upend the entire purpose of an LLC. As a result, some states like Texas passed laws basically saying no citizen of Texas is lawfully permitted to create an LLC in another state for the sole purpose of registering a vehicle. Fortunately, DC, MD, and VA haven't passed such laws, so it is perfectly legal to live in VA and drive a Montana registered vehicle so long as it is a Montana LLC that owns it and not you personally.

4. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Clearly you have not read this entire thread.

Virginia has unlimited resources to pursue you and will if given cause. If you have the financial resources to fight it.....feel free. Just keep in mind that they will subpoena your insurance company as to where and how the car is insured. So it has to be insured by the LLC for travel anywhere in the US. Then we have the matter of your Driver's License which if you live in Virginia are not active Military has to be a Virginia license.

When Virginia shows up.....they aren't coming after the LLC. They are coming for you having an automobile garaged in Virginia more than 180 days a year because you pissed off a Karen in your neighborhood. Your defense is that you don't own the car? Then, you probably won't mind it being impounded while they figure out who owns it. Whatever the taxes are that you are avoiding will seem small change after a lengthy court battle and fines.

I don't know of a single successful challenge to Virginia's 180 day garage rule and I have lived in Virginia for 40 years.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Arlington has been trolling all the apartments, condos, and shopping centers for the past 30+ years as a revenue source.

6. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I think us VA residents go through several stages of denial on this topic and end up coming to terms with just paying the tax bills.

Keep in mind that VA uses a bounty program plus LE database to research folks who may be trying to get away with paying the property tax.

Either they catch you or you get dimed out by someone trying to collect the bounty. If you go to cars and coffee and/or similar events, they will be looking. If your car is on YouTube, know that they are watching.

If you setup a company in Delaware or have a house in FL, sooner or later they will catch you.

So, they are on to us. Save your time and avoid the penalty and pay the tax. It sucks I know.

I have learned from experience and it’s no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

iMrMark, m3doc and INRange like this.
  7. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have routinely, but you'll never get more than a 10% reduction.

8. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    +1 on this. When I lived in DC and worked in Arlington, I got "popped" annually while parked in my work garage on work trips or vacation. I'd get a nice letter, and have to show them that the car had a valid registration in a place not 5 miles away where I lived and had an up-to-date driver's license, and that the private garage in question was attached to my office.

It is a HUGE revenue grab

pilotoCS likes this.
  9. junglistluder

junglistluder F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 23, 2007
    VA
    Full Name:
    Brendan
    After 12 years of paying the man, I am finally registering my 96 F355 as an antique vehicle next week. Suck it VA!

zygomatic, E60 M5 and INRange like this.
  10. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

Sweet!!! And you can get the antique license plates to really rub it in!!

junglistluder likes this.
  11. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    I've contemplated this a lot. The only solution I could come up with is to start a car dealership, but then you need the land, parking space, etc. I've even thought about renting a business park unit because I woudn't mind buying and selling cars on the side. It gets rid of the property and sales tax but then you're in it big time just to save a small %. It just ticks me off to write that check every year - even for my beater cars!!

INRange likes this.
  12. gimmea250swb

gimmea250swb Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Yep, and to add insult to injury when you get in a wreck, the insurance company denies your claim b/c of fraud. That's the part I was worried about - I didn't want to put myself in the position of a claim denial.

pilotoCS and INRange like this.
  13. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    I managed to have it cut from 3.5k to 2.1k u send in the form and they try to deny it. Talked to the lady about the car needing some expensive service back&forth then she wanted estimates got those & got them to cut it down. Every 3-4 yrs they review it. I'll get the antique tags as soon as the day comes to get rid of that lame tax

energy88 and INRange like this.
  14. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    When I moved from NoVA to Alabama, my property/personal taxes dropped from around $7000 per year to $1500.

E60 M5 likes this.
  15. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Living in the Capitol of wokeness is not cheap. The wealthy pay for it and the "less fortunate" get it for free.

Gh21631, SGM and energy88 like this.
  16. iMrMark

iMrMark Karting

May 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Beating a dead horse, but have also been fighting Fairfax county on local vehicle taxes for years. Even with a fully documented depreciation claim as the result of an accident (someone thought it would be fun to slam into my car while it was parked), they have zero incentive to reduce the income stream. I guess I can’t blame them really, that’s the benefit of government being a monopoly right? ;)