RHD 308 GTB refresh | Page 3 | FerrariChat

RHD 308 GTB refresh

Discussion in '308/328' started by Newman, Nov 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Body kit off and found more rust.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

There was a lot going on under the paint here where the rocker flare had a crack in the filler so it's been holding water. Rocker shaped like a banana down at the bottom doesn't surprise me either, most have been squished here from off road adventures and hoist arms.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Such a shame they cut the center out of the rear apron. Im looking for one if anyone knows where I can find one.
    I can get a new apron but I was hoping a smacked donor car could give up what I need.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Big Swole likes this.
  2. Grim Reaper tr

Grim Reaper tr Karting

Oct 6, 2014
    Mr Newman,

Great thread and loving your work.

Might be a Stupid question but why would someone want a RHD car in a LHD country, apart from novelty value?

Just Curious?

Regards

Grim

3. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    thanks for the photos of the body kit. I no longer believe what I was told about possible regulations. It's always good to have confirmation.

4. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Not to speak for Paul, just my own observations... In Canada, RHD imports from Japan have become quite popular over the past 10-15 years - our import requirements are that vehicles older than 15 years do not have to meet the Canadian emissions and safety regulations for the relevant year of manufacture. In the US, the import requirement with no compliance restriction is 25 years old vehicles. Much of that desire for the RHD vehicles available at older than 15 years is novelty value, as there are enough Nissan Figaros and such around to support that argument. However, much of the interest is also for performance vehicles or versions of vehicles that were never offered in LHD form in North America, such as Skyline GTR R32, R33, and soon R34 variations, or newer Mazda RX-7s.

This isn't much different to the UK, where there are a significant number of LHD performance vehicles on the road simply because a specific model might not have been available in RHD, or it is much less expensive to get the LHD version on the continent and bring it back to the UK rather than buy the more expensive RHD version.

In the case of this particular RHD 308 GTB QV, I know the owner who imported it to Canada - and it was as simple as that it was one of his favourite personal cars when he lived in Hong Kong, and when he moved to Canada he brought it with him. It was only when he was planning to retire and was no longer going to live in Canada that he began downsizing and decided to sell this car here.

Cheers,
    Gordon

Newman likes this.
  5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Learned a new detail today. Called Brian Crall about the hood and fender louvers because I thought they were supposed to be anodized black regardless of body colour. Turns out Euro cars are painted body colour and US spec is anodized black.

You can see the line where the paint ends and the original anodizing starts inside the door.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Most of the paint is off this piece of window door frame. The anodizing under it is really very nice which raises the question why did they paint over all of the trim?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Big Swole likes this.
  6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Lots of filler used in the past and for no reason that we can see. The front end has the original black then two additional black paint jobs over it with filler galore. The roof has only 2 paint jobs but also plenty of filler. It looks like a gobstopper with all the layers we're finding.

What's important is there's no need for the filler and we're getting rid of it.

Why do you need filler on the A pillar?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you look at the bottom of the fender below the marker light hole you'll see metal then the original black paint then moving upwards you see primer and a layer of filler then primer and black again. Then more primer and black paint again. We also see red primer which is usually a lacquer primer, you would never use that today.

7. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    What a brilliant project. thank you for all the details. I used to own this car, which is a black RHD 308GTB, but an early fibreglass one, which is the perfect compliment to your very late QV. This car is now in the US, still RHD, and dearly loved by its owner too. Good luck in the project and thank you again for a fascinating thread.

Ferrari 308 GTB and Newman like this.
  8. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Interesting that many of the Swiss 308s have black fender louvers and the quad exhaust in exchange of the single outlet. Must be a Swiss market non factory conversion back in the day.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  11. Imatk

Imatk Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    This is awesome! I've been following another guy on Youtube, he found the same amount of filler etc. on his car. Apparently the sheet metal press wasn't that great at Ferrari so it was typical for the actual metal to be wavy, which was why the filler was used.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    They didn't coat the cars in filler from the factory, even the hand beat panels on the boxers dont have body filler on them. This car had the original primer and black paint under the filler that was applied in the past for no reason whatsoever.

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    GordonC likes this.
  14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Big Swole, crinoid, JonBoy and 6 others like this.
  15. Marty416

Marty416 Rookie

Dec 29, 2017
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Any further pictures and progress reports on this one, Paul? Just discovered your various restoration threads - absolutely loving them! Just finished the 45 pages of "3.4 QV Crowndog's Adventure" - wow!

Big Swole likes this.
  16. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I would suggest the last guy that painted it read some article about "skim coating", in order to get a real straight car.

Unfortunately, he didn't fully understand the concept of 'skim", as in really thin. And you don't use staright bondo for that either.

Doug

Newman likes this.
  17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    eurocarguy101, GordonC and Marty416 like this.
  18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  19. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
  20. Marty416

Marty416 Rookie

Dec 29, 2017
    Toronto, ON
    Full Name:
    Martin
    There certainly aren't many cars that can look as attractive as that while in that kind of a state - even stripped down as it is, the lines still move me!

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Agreed! A car that doesn't need wheels to make it look great says a lot about the styling.

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Some long over-due updates.

Suspension rebuilt and back in. I rebuild the callipers as well.

Working on the doors now, replaced some cracked sheathing on the wiring that passes through the door jambs from the doors to the cabin. You see it when the door is open.

Anodized trim going back on as well. Rims have been refinished to get the definition back in the Ferrari lettering.

Looking forward to the test drive!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4right and Marty416 like this.
  25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Marty416 likes this.