430 - Mini cats cell fix for aftermarket F430 manifolds / headers replacement | FerrariChat

430 Mini cats cell fix for aftermarket F430 manifolds / headers replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by Testarossa13, Jan 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Testarossa13

Testarossa13 Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2007
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Tony Jr.
    Has anyone used these mini cats cell fix from Big Daddy’s Garage.They were recommended to me in case of getting an engine cell light.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There are several threads on the use of mini cats especially those from big daddy’s. Use the search function and search for CEL’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    My no cat headers threw a CEL straight away. Cheap 45 degree extenders fixed it permanently. Mini cats would have been next.

4. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Worked for me headers only with stock cats.

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    F430s use wideband o2 sensors for both primary (fuel trim adaptations) and secondary (cat efficiency) and are much more sensitive to efficiency due to later emissions EU3/AU and us regulators than 360's. Later F430s are even stricter.

My Ferrari SAK tool fully supports the F430s in this regard and works by either patching code so it will never ever generate a CEL, Period or Alternatively I can adjust sensitivity to be a lot less sensitive so CEL isn't going to trigger.

These old analogue approaches are a bit hit and miss. Software recalibration or patching is the best way to go.

6. Machi Medrzycki

Aug 6, 2018
    Kenner
    Full Name:
    Machi Medrzycki
    After installing the mini-cats with 90 degree extenders, my 2007 F430 seems to have a problem holding idle and drops to about 650-700rpn, almost on the boarder of choking, and than goes back to 1000 rpm idle.
    Also car feels odd while holding steady speed (any speed in any gear), feeling restricted from time to time, like someone enhanced hand break just a little for a second and let go.
    Any ideas?

7. Machi Medrzycki

Aug 6, 2018
    Kenner
    Full Name:
    Machi Medrzycki

8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    which mini cats pls

9. Machi Medrzycki

Aug 6, 2018
    Kenner
    Full Name:
    Machi Medrzycki
    90° Universal O2 Spacer with Double metal Catalytic Converter for Euro II

10. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    thks made by ?

11. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Did you turn off the battery when you installed them? May need a relearn.

Ray Smith likes this.
  12. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
  13. Machi Medrzycki

Aug 6, 2018
    Kenner
    Full Name:
    Machi Medrzycki
    Good call, I just did ...will see and update soon

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    @360trev has the best idea, change the system to make it work but another approach, one I'm going to try, is to conjure up an electronic gadget that sits between the O2 sensor and the ECU that reads and modifies the sensor output so that the ECU believes it's working to specs. Seems like a more robust and sure way to solve the problem if reprogramming the ECU is not an option.

I'm changing out the headers on my 2001 360 from stock to Tubi and will try to develop such a device instead of using minicats and/or extenders.

Skippr1999 likes this.
  15. Machi Medrzycki

Aug 6, 2018
    Kenner
    Full Name:
    Machi Medrzycki
  16. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    I would check with a scan tool to see if you have a pending cel. Light may not be on yet but still have a cel.

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    01 360 data-

aftermarket headers
    200cell cats
    Cs muff

was throwing cat eff cel after this install

first ran big daddies mini cats— until the little wafer cat material disintegrated. Then cat eff cel cam back.

now running the 90 deg extender w good results for a couple months.

Fyi

18. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Trevor,

I learned a lot today! Always nice to meet a fellow assembler language guy!

Cheers,

Ray

19. Machi Medrzycki

Aug 6, 2018
    Kenner
    Full Name:
    Machi Medrzycki
    I did the o2 mini cats and CEL went away but the car was a little off , felt a little restricted and had unstable idle.
    Took the mini-cats out and RE-mapped the ECU’s , all taken care off.

Ray Smith likes this.
  20. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
  21. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Not going to help a car in California

Who has a source for pre-cats?

22. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith

Why would it not help a car in California? The Ferrari Service Manager told me they have installed after market headers on hundreds of cars and they all pass smog certification so the car can be registered. Now I took this to mean "It fell off a truck, capisce?" And as long as the Ferrari dealer was doing the smog certification it was going to pass. He said they don't insert anything in the tail pipe. It's all done through the OBDII port. No codes: car passes. Code present: car flunks. It should have been apparent to me that rich guys would get a break on the legality of aftermarket headers. Call me naive. But I learn quick.

My Fabspeed headers did not immediately throw a CEL. However, they have since started doing so. Intermittently. I check them with my X-431 and they are always the code that says there is a discrepancy between the upstream cat sensor (which is now nonexistent) and the downstream sensor. The meaning of the code is that there is potentially a problem with deterioration of the catalytic material in the upstream cat. The "Universal 90 Degree O2 Spacers with Catalytic Converters (Pair)" from Fabspeed incorporate a small catalytic converter which mimics the upstream sensor output. Therefore there is no discrepancy, and therefore no code set. However, and they warn of this, eventually the catalyst in their mini-cat is exhausted and the imbalance will return. At that point you just install new ones and viola! No codes.

Here are photos of mine: In the second photo, while it's hard to see, you'll notice black material filling the barrel. That is the catalyst. Now that CELS are appearing intermittently, I will put these on the downstream Lambda sensor. Thet should last several years according to Fabspeed. That's good enough for me.

Ray

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

armedferret likes this.
  23. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith