Lowering my Pista | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Lowering my Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

It’s definitely lower in the front. Not as much as the rear - I agree. I’m told the car is going to settle in. I’ll wait before I decide if I want to bring it down in the front a touch more. It’s one finger width less foe sure.

GT2goneF and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    LOVE the gold wheels, I am a sucker for gold wheels. If I ordered my F8 in a color that would work with gold I would have gone there, but I am silver so I went with satin gray.

GT2goneF and ScrappyB like this.
  3. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I agree, i think I am going to keep the factory coil over and adjust to fill the wheel well a bit better.

Pis7a2020 likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    That is certainly an option but from what I’ve heard the ride is much more harsh. Would be interested in your experience.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Heh, was by my dealer today for some other things, and while there I took a quick look at my Pista just to plan out my spring prep. I have not done this car yet as I got it back in October after seasons end. Did a quick measurement. It sits 13 mm higher than spec. This is why I keep saying to all those who ask about how much to lower etc. MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS AT FACTORY SPEC BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING! My 488 was 8 mm too high, my Pista Spider was about the same. Back in the fall I saw a new GTS. It was 6 mm too low. My Lusso was on point though... Must have been a special day at the factory.
    Fact is that alignment and ride height on our cars is all over the place from factory. I reckon my Pista will sit close to where it looks like SoCal's car is now.

GT2goneF, Caeruleus11 and mdrums like this.
  6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One thing about lowering. Consider how the car is used. If you run high speed tracks, don't go too far below factory spec. There's a lot of pressure building in the wheel arches when you close the gap and that lifts the car.

GT2goneF and Enzo Belair like this.
  7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    when adjusting ride height you want to keep the factory rake angle. You'll need this info from your dealer or factory workshop manual.

If you track the car you can deviate from factory angle to further dial in handling to your liking but this is pretty advanced and you'll want solid data of the difference between each change.

GT2goneF and Enzo Belair like this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    How do you find out what factory spec is?

GT2goneF likes this.
  9. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Thanks. I actually ordered the car with carbon wheels but later picked up a set of the standard rims in gold to change up the look and because I thought they’d complement the gold fleck in Rosso Fuoco. I’ll switch back and forth each season for the sake of variety.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF, mdrums, Caeruleus11 and 2 others like this.
  10. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    yep factory ride heights are all over the place. You'd think there would be checks in place at a factory like Ferrari and tight tolerance for the cars final set up. I bet you alignment specs are horrid too.

GT2goneF likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One of the techs at your dealer can get that info for you. It's in the WSM. I forgot to ask what the numbers was, we just concluded it was too high. They just rolled it on to the 4 post while I was doing something else, and came back to me with the result.

GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Checks in place? Ha, if that was the case, we would have better paint jobs and people would actually get the colour stripe they ordered lol.
    Did I ever PM you the crazy alignment my 488 had from factory? It would have been okay for a severely crowned road - in the UK or Australia:D

13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    How can this be possible (I mean from a technical standpoint)? Isn’t it just a single shock height set by threads?

The more I lurk on this site, the more depressed I get.

GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Truly pathetic at how lazy Ferrari is. Paint jobs, wrong color stripes bad ride heights. Thank you sir may I have another while I write you a 1/2 million dollar check!

GT2goneF and mdrums like this.
  15. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Don't forget sticky buttons! It's like Ferrari is a super hot model girlfriend that constantly cheats on you but you can't kick her to the curb!

16. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Your ride height for stock is totally acceptable to me, you do look to sit lower than most stock cars I have seen, guess it is just a factor of getting the dealer to set to the proper height, or perhaps 10mm+- below.

ScrappyB likes this.
  17. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Maybe Ferrari is partial owners in Novitec and are double dipping, heck they probably have the same ownership in a selected grouping of aftermarket audio companies who sell suitable speakers and amps for Ferrari's, all their stereo options SUCK!

GT2goneF likes this.
  18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Others have noticed this too and my dealer even said this is typical when I was getting my ride height adjusted and then decided to put on Novitecs at the dealer.

Since ride height is adjustable on the shock collars it appears that Ferrari does not pay a huge amount of attention to an exact setting. This happens as probably different workers assemble the coilers from the vendor they get them from.

The workshop manual at the dealer specs a +/-10mm deviation. There is a specified ride height and then either up or down 5mm from that. If your car is at the top of the spec and another same car is at the lower part of the spec one will be sitting 10mm higher than the other. That is huge! However this deviation from these lose specs on actual cars is even greater that this.

The Novitec springs look of better quality spring and come with helper springs like the Porsche GT cars and every race coilover has. The Ferrari's spring have no helper spring and are thinner and not finished as nice. The Ferrari shock body and threads and no where near as finished as nice as the Porsche coilers shock body and threads. Example is Porsche has the threads on the shock body anodized and the perches never get stuck and smoothly adjust. Ferrari is bare aluminum and the perches gall and get stuck. Interesting thing is both the Porsche and Ferrari coilers electronic plug are the exact same plug. So if you ever damage the plug just find an old 996-997-991 Porsche take off shock and splice in the same plug. Things that make you got hummmm....

SoCal to az likes this.
  19. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    You forgot that if you take your car on a trip and leave it at the hotel or friends house for a couple days while you go out the battery will be dead because the crap electrical system sucks the life out of the battery. LOL.... ;-)

SoCal to az likes this.
  20. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh yeah....the electrical....forgot about that....

mdrums likes this.
  21. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    It certainly does look different. Love the illusion.

22. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    3rd party- Novitec lifter with spring set

23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Because it will mess up your ride. Factory springs are not meant to be compressed. They don't have the same strength.

24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Apparently, it won't happen as quick if you get a Braille Li battery. But it'll cost you 2,500

25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Oh no. My car looks like it is being lifted by a helicopter, almost ready to take off. It will/must be lowered.