488 Pista Spider or SF90 Stradale? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Spider or SF90 Stradale?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Sirt2k, Jan 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I believe you should commission your very own car and get Ferrari to build exactly what you want :)

GT2goneF likes this.
  2. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    How about both and a 3 inches for a 918?

3. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Could not have said it any better!

Coincid likes this.
  4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I initially considered an SF90 because I was interested main on the performance. But after several different angle looks and stares, I just couldn't. I also considered between a Pista and an F8. Pista was readily available but it didn't click for me, so I went with the F8. Between SF90 and Pista, regardless of delta in performance, I would go Pista.

buddyg and MANDALAY like this.
  5. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Publicity stunt. No way this will sit in the same category. It may be the portrayed intent.

6. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    It may have to do with the fact that you already own (choke, not one but) four Pistas!

MANDALAY likes this.
  7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Screw the V6 Turbo Toaster

MANDALAY likes this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Why do you own 4 Pistas? I realize you have an amazing collection of cars and it is none of my business how you spend your money.But as Mandalay enquired, why haven't you commissioned Ferrari to build a car exactly to your requirements instead of owning duplicates of the same model?

Boomhauer and MANDALAY like this.
  9. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I do have a one-off coming

If I like a particular company, I am not satisfied owning one share. I suppose I have that same philosophy when it comes to collectible, desirable, rare cars. I am not trying to convince anyone that is the right thing to do. It is just what I have done.

I also have four examples of the 458. A Speciale, two Speciale A and a Challenge car. I claimed the Speciale is more desirable to me than the Pista. Having more than one of each car hardly makes me less able to differentiate between the two. The naturally aspirated engine is why, by the way.

Back to the SF90: I am extremely intrigued by the “fastest production Ferrari ever” moniker. To say you are not and would be happier with a terribly expensive TM Pista costing the SAME as an SF90, one that you did not even commission, seems, as I said, to be a “no brainer” to opt for the SF90.

If you do not want the SF90, then at least save $200,000 and get a different Pista.

10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am not, as many are, prepared to write off hybrid super cars. I am fully open minded and am actually looking forward to the offerings becoming available in the near future. The SF90 is of little interest to me due to its design aesthetic which I find derivative and not harmoniously resolved. Simply not sufficiently special for a breakthrough model.

GT2goneF likes this.
  11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    If one wants the fastest ephemeral vehicle Ferrari makes, then SF90 is the one to have for a short time. In a few months, something faster and better will come along and the cycle continues. It’s just a stepping stone for many more regular production vehicles to come forth.
    I remember being so excited when the Performante set the Nurburgring record with the fastest lap time upon its release. Great marketing! I bought one, then after a year, traded it for a Speciale. I traded speed for emotion and feel.

Design cues probably stir us the most with the aesthetics of a car stimulating excitement or garnering rejection. Many love the Pista for this reason, and we are hearing mixed opinions on the SF90.
    Then there’s the sound comparisons, but won’t beat that dead horse (Speciale!)

So which one IMO?
    Performance - SF90
    Aesthetics - Pista Spider
    Sound - Speciale
    All around - Speciale Aperta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11, italiafan and GT2goneF like this.
  12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I'm intrigued , a one off that is a unique specified car or an actual built new car design to claim your own ?

13. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Likely an Atelier with all the boxes than need to be clicked to make it a "one off".

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You never know ?

Ild build a mixed F8/Pista to my liking. No GPF , all Inconel, factory button on the valves, SF90 V8 engine and tune it slightly higher to 825 Hp. New interior but still have an analogue TACO. AND have a smaller gap in the wheel arch.

RoadRonin and GT2goneF like this.
  15. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I love the SF90 but it just doesn’t look good to my eye.

GT2goneF and dustman like this.
  16. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy Karting

Aug 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    SP48?

MANDALAY likes this.
  17. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  18. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Jesus. You need a phd to drive the damn car. What happened to hit the gas and go??Now its all sorts of modes etc. Not a fan.

Coincid, Thecadster and GT2goneF like this.
  19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Saw it. Not impressed. Especially not having the full 1k HP readily available at all times. Hard pass.

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    #45 buddyg, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    You only have full power for 14-15 miles, until the battery is depleted, it then will recharge but I don’t like not having full power 100% of the time.

Hope you don’t want to race someone at mile 16. LOL :eek:

MANDALAY and GT2goneF like this.
  21. Fortis

Fortis Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Fortis
    I drove the car extensively most of the time in the qualifying mode (full power) the batterie was always charged, I thought the same , what happens if the batterie depletes do you lose the power but the batterie never depleted while I was driving.

On a separate general note, I understand the issues with the aesthetics, if something doesn’t appeal to your eye it makes sense but nobody with a pulse would step out of this car without a huge smile on their face, the car is simply mental.

22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ferrari went from no electronics to overload. I'll sit back and watch how this plays out.

MANDALAY and GT2goneF like this.
  23. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Pista definitely looks better and although it is Turbo, it feels very NA.

SF90 is growing on me but I wouldn’t say it’s a beautiful and cohesive car. Electrification is new for Ferrari so I would expect some issues the first year at the very least.

Even the Porsche Taycan had or has a bunch of issues upon launch, and Porsche makes some of the best engineered and built cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Gh21631, MANDALAY and GT2goneF like this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The sound of the SF90 is virtually identical to the F8. This will prove problematic for many.

25. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Spider is much nicer to my eye, as the black-roof and c-pillar lines work very nicely.

A little colour sensitive, but I agree it has some slightly fussy styling elements, such as the nose and headlights.