Lowering my Pista | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Lowering my Pista

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Jan 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Just wanted up give an update on the driving. The car scrapes. Now it’s not a big deal as I have scrape armour installed and it happ yes nee twice on my driveway very minor but Atleast this proves that the car is not a 4x4 anymore.

My driveway which I could up and down super easy without ever having to worry- now I have to mail uber carefully.

It’s not a huge deal but when I first got my car I didn’t think they lowered it enough. Ummmm- they absolutely lowered it enough. It’s perfect.

So buyer beware just drive a bit more carefully if you get the Novitec springs. Totally worth it to me to be a bit more careful to have a better stance.

There have been a million threads where someone asked whether to get a lift or not- i ways always of the opinion that you don’t need it. And guess what- if you don’t lower it, you don’t need a lift. If you lower it a lift wouldn’t be a bad idea. Just wanted to be brutally open and honest with my experience.

Hope this helps.

2. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    So... Like I said. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I am glad I got it, because mine is also getting springs.

Luckily, you are out of this house soon. Speak to your GC now about your new house and make sure the angle gradient is appropriate for your car

IloveGT likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona

New house is on a hill. Steep driveway. I’m not expecting a problem but yes- will let architect know. I change my adamant view of not needing a lift to get it as a back up. Mea culpa - yes. Regular ride height- no issues. Lowered car- drive more carefully.

GT2goneF likes this.
  4. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Well, it can be addressed now. Architect and GC to change plans a little. Just in case you need some changes, better now than during or after construction.
    Next car, get a lift, just in case you lower it or comes with a low stance. My GT2 is (Factory) super low and I have to come in an angle or I will leave the front lip on the ramp or any other inclined/declined angled surface.

5. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The driveway is the biggest pain in my ass for the new house. But yes. it’s been flagged already

6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    but the good thing is that porsche gt cars front lips are plastic, at least my gt3 and 4 are, including the 718 spyder. Is the gt2 plastic as well? I also have a steep drive way in my new house, only the spyder scrapes too.. No lift option for the gt4 chassis, did you get the lift option on the gt2? I don't have lift on the 458 either, so maybe I should not change the shock now...

GT2goneF likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The scraping is only if you don’t pay attention. I just need to drive a bit more carefully now. I never had this worry before but the slight lowering changes the dynamics. It’s the scrape armor that’s scraping so it’s working as designed. To me- well worth it to deal with a occasional scrap than to drive a 4c4.

GT2goneF likes this.
  8. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Thecadster, GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  9. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Not the best of angles, but I would say lowered enough that it closed the gap to some degree without sacrificing any of the ride quality or Bumpy Rode Mode function

GT2goneF likes this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The first two pictures of the front wheels- that’s how my car used to sit. That is just embarrassing for Ferrari. That is an unacceptable wheel gap. Ridiculous.

GT2goneF and Enzo Belair like this.
  11. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    I agree. That’s the stock ride height. Honestly, at first glance I almost double take and question if the lift is up which it is not, that’s how ridiculous it looks. Lamborghini does the same on the V10 line with the ride height. Porsche and McLaren have it dialed in right. With all the feedback, you wonder why Ferrari and Lamborghini have not fixed or responded to this.

GT2goneF, Enzo Belair and SoCal to az like this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Its mind boggling honestly. It’s so far off it’s not even funny. The only thing I can attritbute it to is sheer laziness and complacency. We are Ferrari and we can put a piece of turd on four wheels and people will line up to buy our cars. I just don’t get it.

GT2goneF likes this.
  13. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What I do not get is on the 360 CS, which is a real challenge car for the street, they did not change the set up. Lower, no fender gap, real camber in the rear, so this is not something they do not understand, I just do not get it?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT2goneF and SoCal to az like this.
  14. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It is because most (not all obviously) Ferrari buyers are older and looking for something more streetable as opposed to more sporty or aggressive. For the most part these cars sit in garages and get driven sparingly to dinner or c&c's. Porsche's seem to be used more often, certainly at the track. Also their lifters tree awesome. Takes about a sec to go up and down.

Enzo Belair and SoCal to az like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Agree. Porsche lifters are the best.

Gh21631 likes this.
  16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Mclarens might be the slowest.

IloveGT and SoCal to az like this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yup. And they have that stupid speed limiter that I activated by accident. Thought the car had gone into limp mode.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    happens to all of us

19. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    No, No loft on my GT2. I don't think it was an option for 997. And yes it is plastic. I already replaced it once, it had a scratch from parking concrete bump soon after I bought it. I couldn't live with the little scratch so...

Novitec also makes the lowering spring with the lift option. If you are interested.

20. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    with novitec springs, do you lose the bumpy road functions?

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Have never used that mode.

22. I read somewhere that Ferrari sets the stock ride height based on Swiss regulations that every car needs to be able to fit snow chains on the tires.

Not saying that's the reason, but I just recall reading that somwhere.

23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Apparently by report it doesn't change the mode.

24. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
  25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona