ok to crank the engine with battery charging? | FerrariChat

ok to crank the engine with battery charging?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 24000rpm, Jan 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I am going to do a compression test so I have to maintain consistent battery power.
    I wonder if it is ok to use a regular battery charger(not a trickle charger). Would that damage any electronics?

2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I would not be aware of why it would do any harm to the car electronics, but it could damage the charger to have a huge current draw, most have an overload protection to prevent that. I would charge the battery full, remove the charger and you should have enough juice to do the comp test, it only requires about 4 cranks per cylinder. Then recharge the battery when done.

24000rpm likes this.
  3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Considering the amp draw and the potential for voltage fluctuations, I would opt for a second battery connected in parallel if you think your internal battery isn't up to the task.

If you had a specific starting charger (GPU or Ground Power Unit) like they make for airplanes, then it would be fine.

24000rpm likes this.
  4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

isn't connecting a second battery in parallel the same as jumping start the car, which is presumably bad?

5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Connecting a battery (donor car engine off, key out) in parallel is electrically the same as having a much larger battery. Zero risk there. If you use a donor battery still in a car, it would be best to disconnect the negative terminal on the donor car but probably overkill. Just be sure the donor car is not running. Use a heavy gauge jumping cable to connect them for the best results.

24000rpm and Mimmo Blue like this.
  6. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    I have performed compression test with a charger on the battery many times. However, I activate the starter straight on the starter and have the key off.

Llenroc, 24000rpm and tbakowsky like this.
  7. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Very few battery chargers will charge quick enough to make any difference regarding a compression test.

24000rpm and EastMemphis like this.
  8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

so the next question:
    on 360, when 1st cylinder is at TDC, which other cyl is at TDC,
    im doing leak down test, see if I can save some energy finding tdc.

9. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    None !! Number #4 is physically at TDC but not ready for leak down as valves are opened.
    You will have to rotate the crank by 90° each time to go to the next cylinder in firing order.

24000rpm likes this.