Ferrari 2021 Season - Preparation/News | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 2021 Season - Preparation/News

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariforevervp

Sep 22, 2006
    I tend to agree with the post above. But then why did FIA change the aero rules so often in the Schumacher era?

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    To limit domination. They did the same in the Red Bull era.

3. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I dont understand your logic here, surely rule stability is the stop spiralling costs [and favour one team] but how can lesser teams catch up to the TOP team if they are not allowed to evolve or even change their car without using a farcical token system!!

Its true the best innovator of a major rule change will sweep up the trophy's, what is not fair in my opinion is when all the other teams have their bats broken when the try to adapt!

Best

tony

4. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    To hinder the Schumacher/Ferrari dominance [in THAT order].

Bas likes this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Painful to me the target this year is third...

argh....

2022 can't come soon enough.

375+, ingegnere and Bas like this.
  6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    True!!! But Mercedes has been working on 2022 since around 2018 :(

stavura, paulchua, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  7. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    And guess who’s gonna look stupid in front of his TV in 2022?It’s us..:mad:

ingegnere likes this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154683/sainz-set-for-ferrari-test-debut-at-fiorano-next-week

Carlos Sainz Jr will make his first on-track appearance as a Ferrari Formula 1 driver when he takes part in a private test at Fiorano next week.

After joining Ferrari from McLaren ahead of the 2021 season, Sainz has been working with the team at its Maranello factory in recent weeks, as well as completing some runs in its simulator.

Ferrari confirmed late last year it planned to give Sainz a test in one of its older F1 cars over the winter, compensating in part for the limited amount of official pre-season running scheduled in March.

Autosport understands Sainz will sample a Ferrari F1 car for the first time at Fiorano next Wednesday as part of a wider programme for the team at its private test track.

The running will be conducted in the Ferrari SF71H that raced through the 2018 season, winning six races.

Teams are not allowed to use any cars that raced in the last two years, with the 2018-spec car being readily available after private tests last year.

Sainz is due to test on Wednesday and Thursday next week at Fiorano alongside team-mate Charles Leclerc, on the basis the Monegasque driver has by then tested negative for COVID-19 after contracting the virus earlier this month.

9. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    It’s not easy to generalise about this problem. Yes, it would be nice if underperformers could catch up, but then you have to let the winners develop too - and with their extra cash they will just find ways to stay ahead.

10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Ferrari really did come off absolute worst from the COVID situation.

They were the first to be impacted and stopped working because of the outbreak in Italy. Then, as they were working to limp through 2020 with their worst car in years and looking towards the new car for 2021, this plan was scrapped and the 2020 car was to be reused for 2021. But now, that car can’t be fixed beyond areas approved through some stupid token system while others like McLaren get extra changes because of new PU and tRP and AT get additional changes because they’ll use 2020 parts from the 2 best cars of last year.

kes7u, stavura, paulchua and 4 others like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You are correct. Hurts my heart.

12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Let say the rules were stable {engines, fuel, aero limited, same tires, same circuits, same drivers, same metalurgy} for 1,000,000 years in a row.
    Do you not think that every engine could evolve to the same limit in HP and TQ ?
    Do you not think that the aero downforce would essentially converge (by simple copying if nothing else) ?

My argument is based on limits--given an engine architecture and a set of materials, sooner or later one can make an engine within a small fraction of a % of the absolute maximun amount of peformance an engine of that architectere can EVER produce. {same with aero, tires,...}

Thus rules stability (with limits) enables higher levels of competition. Disruption of the stable rules enables one (or more) teams (the more clever ones) to jump to the forefront while lesser teams appear to drop back.

13. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I get the rules stability argument and its commendable but lets stick with the past few years, in my lifetime and how teams can catchup!.

If you have a system of rules stability then you need to find a way of ensuring teams can progress to be the best by innovation and win WDC and WCC. Currently the team in front remains the dominant team because of the car, aero and engine freeze. A token system limits that innovation.

Example, lets say Ferrari find a solution to their aero and engine woes, they are only allowed to implement some of them in order to leapfrog the pack.

Best Regards

tony

14. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    totally agree, everyone should be able to innovate including Mercedes. At the moment everyone is stuck in limbo with limited ways to overhaul their distinct advantage. This is why we have had total domination by team mercedes for several years
    Best
    tony

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari confirms seven drivers will test the 2018 SF71H car at Fiorano next week: Sainz, Leclerc, Shwartzman, Armstrong, Alesi, Ilott and Schumacher.

Monday - Alesi, Armstrong, Shwartzman
    Tuesday - C. Leclerc
    Wednesday, Thursday AM - Sainz
    Thursday PM, Friday AM - Schumacher
    Friday PM - Ilott

Ferrari really doing amazing work in preparing their drivers for the upcoming F1 and F2 season. "Apart from being helpful for all the drivers, the test is also an opportunity for the team itself to prepare for the one and only pre-season test in Bahrain from 12 to 14 March."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

DF1 likes this.
  16. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    But someone blamed the rules stability; whereas it is shown that it is the token system that has broken the gains due to rules stability.

ingegnere likes this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Toto Wolff to #ORF today if the problem with Hamilton's contract is just time or content:

"As is the case with negotiations, you come from different corners, but that's quite normal. We have a solid basis in our relationship, we have enjoyed great success and we want to do that in the future but sometimes you have to talk things out and that took us some time or it's still going on but before Bahrain at the latest we have to sign something."

#ORF Is there a deadline?

Toto Wolff "No, the lawyers are working hard, of course we don't make life easy for them when we both argue over Zoom and keep sending curved balls to the lawyers. But he is now in the US and I'm here and at some point we will finalise it."

#ORF Is there a plan B if Lewis doesn't sign?

Toto Wolff "Yes, I've already threatened him that I'll be the next in line to sit in the car." Finally an Austrian in F1 again! Yes finally! We just have to adapt the car, that's the only problem.

But that's not up for discussion

Toto: Exactly.We never played the Russell card either. He's sold himself incredibly well & 1day he'll be in a top car but our long-standing partnership is not about any threatening. We know we want to race together & now we just have to negotiate.

Toto Wolff has been in Kitzbühel in quaratine for 10 days after a positive test but it's all fine now and he never had any symptoms.

Toto Wolff: "We planned to stay for some days in Kitzbühel, then out of nowhere I had a positive Covid test. So we quarantined ourselves for 10 days here." Everything is fine now? "Thankfully no symptoms, because it can also go badly, but we are now out of quarantine."

Toto Wolff on the current status of Lewis's contract negotiations:
    • he made it clear that they want to continue
    • at the very latest before Bahrain the contract needs to be signed
    • they never played the "Russell card" on Lewis

DF1 likes this.
  18. DF1

No final agreement with testing day 1 as deadline. The 'card' is not played as it was apparent what the 'card' offered. This is not a post for the positive thread lol :) Nice find from ORF.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  19. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t know why they gave a test to Alesi Jr. He´s already been ousted from the Academy.

Maybe it´s just that they owed a favour to his father.

20. DF1

We had a post not long ago saying he was not out of the academy. I will try to find it.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I thought it had been denied.

edit: DF1 beat me ;)

22. DF1

No beating lol. You found the post - that is 'positive' :)

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    jpalmito and DF1 like this.