458 - ECU TUNED SPECIALE? YAY or NAY? | FerrariChat

458 ECU TUNED SPECIALE? YAY or NAY?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ThankfulGuy, Jan 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    So as some of you may know, I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to own my second Ferrari. Adding to my F12 is a beautiful 458 Speciale. As with the F12, I’ve added an exhaust and the obligatory Novitec springs. However, I’m considering an ECU tune.

Because of the 100 cell cats I’ll need to get an upgrade O2 sensor, so thought why not get that and a bit more with a tune.

This forum was VERY helpful in guiding me to find the perfect spec and the perfect car, so I turn once again here for insights from seasoned Ferrari owners.

I look forward to all input.

Thanks. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

VAF84, rob5819 and Avia11 like this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Mmmm- too valuable to be messed up with imo; plus it’s a n/a engine, gains will be limited

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

technom3, Pis7a2020 and ThankfulGuy like this.
  3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Agreed not much gain without having turbos

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  4. Horsin'around

Horsin'around Karting

Jun 14, 2017
    Let’s see some pics of the beautiful speciale now that it’s lowered.

And some video clips of the exhaust would be nice too

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  5. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    I will once it’s lowered and exhaust has been installed. 7 week wait for Kline Exhaust. So it’ll be a bit of a wait, but I’ll post once done.

6. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Agree, not a HP increase, elevated rpm to apprx 9250, and gearing ratios change resulting in torque improvements.

I’m not sold yet, still research. I appreciate your input, as it will be considered when I am at that stage of the build.

7. Natkingcolebasket69

Ok full kline on my FF - love it, the cats are the game changer!

My FF revs to 8,5 vs 8250 with the tune. Honestly given it cost 2k it felt like wasted money

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    N/A engine, seriously high C/R your not going to get much more. Want more get a 488 GTB. Ild leave this special car OEM .

9. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    #9 ThankfulGuy, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Yeah mine is 2Gs as well, but with the 100cel, planned on getting O2 sensors which were like 1400 or something... so considered the full tune for addl $600 or so wasn’t bad... (you know how we rationalize stuff... lol). Valuable input.

Can you tell which company your tune is? Did it involved removing the CPU and sending it in?

Lastly, did you not get any sense that the nature of the car changed?

Thank you.

10. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Turbo not my thing... but not looking for HP increase. If it changes the nature of the gearing... I’d actually like it to be a little less seamless... a bit more racy... then it’s a go. If not really... then I agree... OEM tune is preferred.... however the exhaust note NEEDS tweakin. I’m coming from a GT3RS... and sound wise???? It was perfection.

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m an OEM guy, especially on a car as balanced and factory-tuned as the Speciale. I would never buy a car that has been modified, tells me the owner wanted more “hooliganism” from the car, and not respect for what Ferrari created. For right or wrong makes me think car has been tainted and possibly abused, and now for sale before things go wrong with mechanicals. But, that’s just me.

MANDALAY and ThankfulGuy like this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

I did it with eurocharged, usually I like their products but this time the change wasn’t drastic. Keep in mind is a ff though. All flashed via odbII

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  13. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    #13 ThankfulGuy, Jan 23, 2021
    Youd never know. Everything is bolt on and reversible. I’m not one of those guys who buys a Ferrari as an investment. I also don’t anticipate ever selling this one. It’s the last of its kind. Let’s say it explodes and one day is worry a million dollars. Swap out the exhaust and replace with OEM, wipe the ECU clean of the tune, and VOILA... STOCK SPECIALE.

I drive like a grandpa... oh wait... YES... I will be tracking this car as well. you see... my philosophy is this... get what you like, ENJOY IT, and NEVERRRRRR worry about DEPRECIATION!!!!

We as organic beings will ALWAYS depreciate faster than these inorganic inanimate beings that we place such GRAND VALUE upon. LIKE EACH MILE we place in them, each heart be, each breath we draw closer and closer to the final sale.... death.

SO ENJOY THE HELLLLLL OUTTA LIFE AND ESPECIALLY YOUR FERRARIS. They survive just fine.

On track... I’m the guy with the sweet ride, that the guy with the Miata can BEAT THE DRAWS OFF OF. It’s ok... I look GOOD when I lose.

On the road, straight grandpa.

But then, what IS “Hooliganism” in a Ferrari? Is it what Chris Harris does. Isn’t that what Ferraris were made for? If no... why’d they invent that little manitino thingy? I figure it was to switch your car from “ho hum” to “OOOOOOOOH SHHHHHIT” mode with the flip of a switch.

Ferraris are great cars... but every mass produced car, cuts corners for the sake of “budget”. So yes, even they can be improved upon. Like say... aftermarket carbon fiber barrel wheels from Brixton.

But I get your point, and appreciate your opinion. It gives pause for thought.

italiafan likes this.
  14. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    #14 ThankfulGuy, Jan 23, 2021
    Your input... invaluable. Which cells do you have 100 or 200? Did you opt to tune to avoid CEL?

FF 12 cylinder... wooo-wee brave si to seek more performance from that. lol. But aye.. I get it. For us, it partly about Ferrari ownership, but also having a unique car that our own doing as well.

15. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    What a killer Speciale...love the spec. I'd do some cat back exhaust for better sound and the Novi springs....but I wouldn't mess with the cats and ECU. Gains on a N/A car like this being that it is basically already tuned from Ferrari will not be really noticeable for any real extra power.

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

I’m in California so 200CeL otherwise can’t pass smog:) the all set up cost like 10k but it’s the cats that changed her. The ff has thicke windows
    I just asked Jerry them as a matter of fact to tune it again - they are very nice there at eurocharged

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  17. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Makes sense... I did cats, because... well... compared to my RS... it’s just a bit too quiet. The sound of these cars are what stir my soul, not the speed. I don’t understand why Ferrari doesn’t appreciate this tid bit.

The speed is only thrilling, for me, on track. When driving around town... 99% of my driving experience... sound is the magic. Cats for volume, and Kline valved silencers for tone is the ticket for me.

The tune... not really a major necessity, for reasons you and others have cited.

I do appreciate the feedback in this group.

Priceless.

mdrums likes this.
  18. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Ooooooh that REV is SWEEEEEEET!!!!

19. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    You really think you'll tell the difference between 597hp and the 620 or whatever it is you'll get with a tune. It's an NA car, pointless.

Awesome car best kept how it left the factory.

technom3 likes this.
  20. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    Nope... not once did I say I was tuning it for HP... did I. There are many reasons to tune. I’ll allow you the freedom to research the various NOTICEABLE motivations to tune...

or not.

Tell you what... keep your Ferrari stock. I’ll do with mine what I choose.

Win... Win.

21. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    I find it comical when people say “stock Ferraris” are perfectly tuned machine? Oh? If so, why don’t they just race stock Ferraris. No exhausts, no aero, no tunes, no nothing?

I know some of you worship Ferraris as if... to me? It’s just a car. A HELLA CAR... but just a car. I love toying with cars.

So for you investors who look at your cars afraid to drive them for fear of miles that depreciate your babies. Know this... you are depreciating FAR MORE RAPIDLY than your car EVER WILL.

kane00 and Ryan13 like this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Hombre...you started a thread specifically to garner opinions about modifying a Speciale. You got opinions. So then why start trying to twist into mocking people by using terms like “comical, worship, investors, afraid, fear, and babies?” All very emotionally laden words. And then spit some advice on life and how to enjoy it since we are depreciating faster than our cars (whatever that means).

I gave you my opinion: I would never buy a car that has been modified. Period. There may be a great number of other people out there who feel the same. Of course you can do whatever the hell you want, no one said otherwise; and quite frankly no one actually cares what you do.

docf and ThankfulGuy like this.
  23. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Yeah i totally get it and this makes sense

ThankfulGuy likes this.
  24. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    This is true. However, how do you know, if HP increase was my desire, that I wouldn’t feel the increase by the seat of my pants? It was that liberty that I took issue with. My butt cheeks may just happen to be that sensitive sir.

25. ThankfulGuy

ThankfulGuy Karting

Sep 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    Marc Freeman
    As stared. You would never know if a car has been modified as the sort being discussed are all reversible.

If my life advice is not relevant to you, then place it in the circular bin. Some may find that little reminder enlightening.

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER... NANO...NANO