348 - Alternator and alternator bearing | FerrariChat

348 Alternator and alternator bearing

Discussion in '348/355' started by Donkeykong87, Jan 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    My mechanic is finishing up my major on the 348 after an extended delay due to his unfortunate bout with Covid.

Apparently I need an alternator (I have the Delco) and alternator tensioner bearing.

Any updated source on the alternators? After searching, most all of the links are no longer any good!

Is this the correct tensioner bearing...

https://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/products/alternator-belt-idler-pulley-bearing

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

3. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
  4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Tough to tell from a photo --- but my guess would be the bearing should suffice. Have your shop take it off, remove the snap ring, push out the bearing and then make a better informed decision.

WATSON likes this.
  5. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Search the archives as someone did find a replacement Delco alternator, out of a pick up truck if I remember correctly.

6. Donkeykong87

Donkeykong87 Karting

Aug 31, 2020
    Peoria, IL
    Full Name:
    Johnny Smith
    Ernie, it was actually you!! 1992 Dodge Monaco. It seems like it is an exact replacement using the pulley off the original alternator.

ernie likes this.
  7. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well there you have it.

8. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  9. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The bearing and the centre piece are most likely press fit, not just snug fit. I would first try using suitable large sockets (or short pieces of pipe with large thick washers) and a long bolt through to pull the things out. If it doesn't work, you will need to take it to a workshop which has a hydraulic press.

10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep, tried that and thats the conclusion I came too. ! :-(

Fortunately I had a spare assembly so just used that and didnt bother in he end. Will take it to a workshop if I ever need to. The actual job I was doing was to replace the alternator bracket as someone prior to my ownership had snapped the casting so between the 2 units I came up with a good casting and a good bearing :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #11 348Jeff, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    BTW Just a note of caution to anyone doing anything like this (replacing alternator belt etc) is that it is absolutely essential you undo the nut (or bolt in my case) that secures the bearing in place BEFORE yiu try and turn the adjuster bolt - pretty sure this is how the castings get snapped which I believe is quite a common problem and they are no longer available new :-(

So loosen nut/bolt securing bearing enough so it will move freely - make the adjust using adjust screw then re-tighten the nut/bolt once the belt is adjusted.

Little vid of the screw adjuster in action - needless to say I just wanted the casting - the bearing and housing are well passed their prime!

As mentioned elsewhere but worth remembering....tightening the adjuster ie clockwise pulls the bearing downwards so LOOSENS the belt, loosening the adjuster (anti-clockwise) pushes the bearing upwards and TIGHTENS the belt.

12. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    I think it is more likely that the bracket is broken because one may, by general logic but without checking how the tensioner adjustment works, try to "undo" (counterclockwise) the adjuster bolt. Of course, it tightens more and, thinking that the bolt threads have corroded/seized, one may continue "undoing" the bolt until a big "snappp". The nut in the centre should be quite obvious.

When I bought my 348, I saw that the bracket had been broken and welded (I replaced it with a new one).