430 - Vibration at idle | FerrariChat

430 Vibration at idle

Discussion in '360/430' started by Snapshift, Jan 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    #1 Snapshift, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    2005 F430 Coupe has a noticeable engine vibration at standstill idle that transmits to the body and interior and is very noticeable (annoying) at 1000 RPM. No Check engine lights or codes after replacing intake gaskets, smooth firing, and runs great at all other speeds. Advance it to 1100 RPM or higher, while sitting still and no vibration. Is this anything to be concerned about or is it just characteristic of the car? What to check? I use Shell 93 and have run Techron through it once, all new plugs and coils. 20,300 mi. Voltage 14.2 Can the idle speed be adjusted or any other adjustment made to correct this? Thanks for your help.

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll take a wack at this ... bad engine mounts?

3. daniellove304

daniellove304 Rookie

Jan 5, 2020
    Marietta Ga
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    the 430s are the worst of wearing out the motor mounts they go bad pretty quickly due to the flat plane crankshaft .It make lots of vibration .

unreelviper, Ray Smith and Snapshift like this.
  4. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I don't know, but I don't hear any noises, clunks etc with acceleration deceleration but will check the mounts. Hadn't suspected anything with them but will check. Thanks.

5. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    +1 for engine mounts. Not uncommon at 20k miles

6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    As others have said,..sounds like engine mounts. You can also check by looking in your rear view mirror during hard shift to see how much your engine moves.

Ray Smith, Snapshift and whatheheck like this.
  7. NorCalGuy

NorCalGuy Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    NorCalGuy
    Hello Snapshift - my 07 F430 started this exact same vibration a few months ago. Yes, it is worse at idle (1000/rpm), however, barely press on accelerator and vibration goes away. Does not matter if engaged in gear or neutral, I get the vibration either way. It started a few weeks after I had the clutch and transmission "eye" bushing mount replaced. My thought was that a mounting bracket/or bolts on the transmission or exhaust system has come loose (or something in general has come loose). Everything runs perfectly fine other than the vibration. I have noticed that it is worse upon startup, and comes-n-goes when driving. To the others that have posted about the engine mounts...yes, did cross my mind. I have looked in rear-view when shifting, engine is rock-solid, no movement at all. However, engine mounts most likely the culprit. My next move is to get it up on a rack and give it once-over to ensure all is tightened down as a start, then replace mounts if vibration persists. Thanks for the post.on this.

Snapshift likes this.
  8. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    yep very highly likely to be motor mounts suggest you get the stiffer 190255 next time

Snapshift likes this.
  9. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Thank you. My engine is also rock solid also on its mounts with shifting/acceleration etc. I will check the mounts with the next time I have the bottom pan off for oil change etc. Is there any way to check them with a mirror from the top? It's probably the vibration from the flat plane crank that has a harmonic that is transferred to the chassis through stiff mounts that occurs at just that specific RPM. Thanks for all the suggestions.

10. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You might take a look at your exhaust brackets if they are stock. Known to crack and can also cause vibrations. Very easy to check by pressing the bottom of your shoe against the exhaust tips while at idle and visual inspection is also fairly easy.

Snapshift likes this.
  11. daniellove304

daniellove304 Rookie

Jan 5, 2020
    Marietta Ga
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    you will not hear and clunk noises the best way to tell is in the steering wheel with you hands. or rack the car which the belly pan its not fun to take down . i have done and replaced lots of them

Snapshift likes this.
  12. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Did you notice a difference with the stiffer mounts?

NMNMNMN likes this.
  13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    they are still sat on my desk as we have snow outside

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Ferrari and Ricambi list 430 motor mounts as part number 216357. Ferrari $367/ea Ricambi $251.

Ray

15. TexasVince

TexasVince Rookie

Jun 9, 2018
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    +1 for engine mounts. Please keep us posted if the new ones help. I may be needing to replace mine as well.

Snapshift likes this.
  16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    #16 Sj_engr, Jan 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    $60 engine mount:
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/190255-tampone-motore.html

This car part is suitable for the following models:
    360 Challenge Stradale, 430 Challenge (2006), Enzo

I put two in the 2005 F430 when I also replaced my trans mount. Looking at both pictures I could not tell the difference so went with the Challenge part.

After those three replaced I did have a rattle at idle that turned out to be the engine side covers.

Red 27 likes this.
  17. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Glad to hear that they fit the 430. I have a '05 F430 coupe with 20K on it so ordered them and will replace at the next oils service and maintenance interval coming up. Great price on these and in US. Hopefully they aren't too stiff for the standard coupe vs the Challenge or Strad? I will report my experiences later on. Thanks for the lead. I just had ordered them and cancelled a Eurospares order for over $300

Red 27 likes this.
  18. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    They are rubber and metal. Totally crazy that Ferrari wants $367 for another PN. I am sure you will be pleased. The original bushing in mine were totally shot likely due to heat and age.

Attached Files:

Snapshift likes this.
  19. NorCalGuy

NorCalGuy Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    NorCalGuy
    All - circling back as an FYI...my vibration issue has been resolved! :) Culprit was a broken LH exhaust bracket. Pics attached. My guess is that based on where and the angle/type of the crack, it was sending a vibration up through the transmission > drive-train/frame > into the cabin. I replaced the bracket and upon start-up, purrs like a kitten, no more vibration at idle. Whew...so glad to get this issue resolved. However, I decided to go ahead get the motor-mounts replaced as they had 7k miles on them...so that is done as well (check that off my list). Bad news is that the mechanic noticed that I have two leaks developing...the timing cover seal is starting to seep around the "bottom" bolt on the cover. No drips, but seepage. In addition, the coolant hose coming off the water pump is starting to seep...again no drips, but you can see coolant forming around the clamp due to wear-n-tear (hose is 13/14 years old). So now...add those two items to my list of fixes. :(
    @Snapshift - please make you check the exhaust brackets.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

whatheheck likes this.
  20. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Pretty impressive...What mounts did you replace them with? I have obtained new motor mounts and am going to install them at oil change in June. Is there any way to inspect the exhaust mounts without dropping the diffuser and underbody pan? if I can determine mine are cracked like these Ill order some brackets to replace at the same time. Good find.

21. NorCalGuy

NorCalGuy Karting

Sep 28, 2018
    Pleasanton, CA
    Full Name:
    NorCalGuy
    I replaced them with part number 216357. Got them from allferrariparts.com. Note, eurospares.co.uk has some great pricing for the mounts also. Regarding inspection, I tried looking down through the engine bay but could not get my head down far enough to really see any breaks/cracks. Therefore, after reading post from Red 27, I decided to spend a little time to remove the diffuser and really get a close-up look, which I'm glad I did cause from up top, I could not see the crack. Although it's a PITA to get back on, I recommend removing the diffuser to verify. I truly wish you good luck for getting your issue resolved!

Snapshift and Red 27 like this.
  22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing.

All the issues you identified and resolved unfortunately are common issues on the F430...........

Manda racing likes this.
  23. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    I wonder if I find exhaust pipe mounts broken or cracked If I can weld them back together with some doublers etc. I'm a fair hobby welder. I will wait for the oil change and engine mount change and if found, will probably take 'em home and reweld them with some reinforcement and repaint. That might help. If not, I'll spring for a new set. I already have a new set of engine mounts ready to go.

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    This is exactly why you get cracked manifolds, these brackets are stopping the expansion etc, hence they break. Same happened on mine. Took all mine off and fitted expansion brackets

Blackfspider and Red 27 like this.
  25. Snapshift

Snapshift Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2020
    Centralia IL
    Full Name:
    Lyle D. Pahnke
    Which ones do you recommend?