Maserati MC20 | FerrariChat

Maserati MC20

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by superfluous, Jan 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. superfluous

superfluous Karting

Oct 4, 2020
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Gabe
    As 458/488/F8 owners, what do you guys think of the new Maserati MC20? The brand has become trash the last 8 years or so as their cars have fallen ridiculously behind, so I hate to admit I like the MC20.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I think it’s a cool looking car. Would never buy one but do like it.

F2003-GA likes this.
  3. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    re-skined, de-tuned, extend the platform, it's a cheaper Ferrari. Power falls between 458 and 488 for less money, performance is nothing to sneeze at.
    Decent spec for 215K base, but I have no idea what a fully spec'd one would retail for.

I hope to God they don't extend the 812 platform to the younger brother.

4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I'm not generally a fan of hole in the side cars. McLaren makes cars with decent power output without giant holes in the side, so it's not like they are mandatory.

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#5 Cigarzman, Jan 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    I like the look. If they make a convertible / Targa I would definitely take a look.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I like the look and glad to see Maserati is making steps to be relevant again. I wouldn't touch it for the price range. Especially since its the first of its kind. Maybe wait a few years for the kinks to get worked out.

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Would be a cute car for $150k. Doesnt hold it together at $250k out of the door when you can get a 488/F8 (soon) or a 720S or maybe even a 812SF by end of the year.

day355, Boomhauer and dustman like this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Similar to the new NSX, the Maser fails on so many levels. Looks are meh at best, performance is so so, price is way too high relative to real sports cars, the brand is poor, and so on.
    NSX at $99k would have been ok.
    Maser at $130k perhaps it had a chance.

ryalex and IloveGT like this.
  9. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I disagree on brand is poor. It's actually about the ONLY thing they got.

Agree on the rest. But I think the right price is at $150k-$180k. They need to have the exclusivity factor in the mix, otherwise they're in trouble.

10. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Allegedly only making 1,200 coupes, with 400 for the US market. Most US dealers were getting five allocations. Lots of good details and info at https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/maserati-mc20.624706/. My wife and i saw one in person and thought it looked great on the outside, a little bland on the inside, waiting for information on the convertible to see if she wants one. I have a 458 Spider and prefer the less obvious aerodynamic elements of the MC20 vs the 488/F8 look.

Rob

11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    let's hear what the real car designer of mc12 has to say about mc20. And I am sure you know he designed a few Ferraris too and is the person responsible for McL.

12. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    We didn't love the launch spec they used, with the "Bianco Audace" (bold white) paint. Here is the spec I put together for my wife with a three layer "Blu Infinito:"

Image Unavailable, Please Login

We passed on the coupe, but will take another look when the convertible is released sometime later this year.

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  13. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I was just watching the youtube video...

I think they nailed it. I think the price is a bit too high, but you're getting an amazingly beautiful car (of course that's subjective) with a 620 bhp biturbo engine (more than enough even though well below modern Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo...). And at the end of the day, you buy a Maser precisely BECAUSE it's not a Ferrari, McLaren or Lambo.

So my biggest complaint (having owned a 2015 GT) is the sound. To me the now gone GT offers one of the best sounds in the market and this MC won't be the same. Still... I have to say I love it.

Ash Patel and SVR like this.
  14. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Awesome spec!

Melons likes this.
  15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    It is a great design for Maserati to compete in the sports car segment

I’m curious about the electric motor version
    Also interested to see the folding hardtop.

I backed out of the Gran Turismo in 2009. I presume the brand has continued to improve in all areas.

If the pricing: quality: performance ratios are better than Ferrari —well I might just have to buy one.

16. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I think that will never happen because Ferrari (Maser's owner) won't allow it.

17. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I was thinking that a carbon tub folding hardtop all- electric at 205K (assuming the coupe is 175K). That’s a pretty compelling proposition compared to a Ferrari Portofino or little brother spider.

An all electric could probably be quick from 0-100mph too

Petrolhead#32 likes this.
  18. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Ferrari and Maserati are no longer jointly owned. I feel like Ferrari kept Maserati in place for branding reasons, but now Maserati is trying to emerge as a near competitor. They have a whole new lineup coming out that seems pretty exciting, starting with the MC20. it will be interesting to see how things work out.

SVR and Doug23 like this.
  19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have a deposit down on a build . Was told end of next year into 2022, which works for my situation.

20. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    You're right, it's not part of the FCA and Ferrari went public and are no longer part of the group. It should be very interesting indeed...

Maserati holds a really big place in my heart. They were winning F1 races when Enzo Ferrari was a baby! It'd be awesome to see them shine again.

SVR likes this.
  21. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Good for you. Mind sharing the spec? :)

22. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    You missed a fun car. We've had our 2011 Gran Turismo Convertible for ten years and it is a great car for its role. It's for when you want to look good and sound amazing. The rear seats fit actual normal sized people so we can take it instead of an SUV if we have friends. I pretty much only drive my 458, but every now and then the Gran Turismo makes it out of the garage and I still enjoy it:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SVR and MalibuGuy like this.
  23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have the invoice in the office , but on the configurator I chose all the options except the paint , I went black. All carbon, even roof, I can't recall everything else , upgraded hifi ?, carbon brakes , not black rims but dark gray. Easy to fool around with website

ehrst likes this.
  24. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Wow, I so much identify with you... I never had them both at the same time, but here's them separately...

I very often miss my MGT.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob5819 likes this.
  25. Petrolhead#32

Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    I think black will go well in this car. Elegant and sporty. Good for you!

ScottS likes this.