Williams F1 | Page 35 | FerrariChat

Williams F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by BJMoravek, Mar 3, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Maybe they hope that in the short term the F1 organisers will be so desperate to get contenders that they will heavily subsidize even the teams making no effort to be competitive.

2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    You know, your comment made me come with a supposition: perhaps Liberty Media have guaranteed future revenues to Dorilton?

3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I don't think so; the FIA and Liberty have just pushed the bar higher to $100millions entry fee just to get into F1 circles.

They have their 10 teams already, and if they were "so desperate to get contenders", they would have reduced that fee or waived it altogether.

But you may be right in a few years time, if, as suspected, several constructors leave F1 in one go.

For now, both FIA and Liberty make hay while the sun shines.

4. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  5. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    I think Perez will link up with Hulk at Haas. I hope Steiner isn't stupid like the previous time, and got two donkeys to race Haas. Perez and Hulk are the real deal here.

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Hulk to Red bull, Perez with Shumi jr at haas imo

Remy Zero likes this.
  7. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Not sure Steiner has the brains to do that, and not sure Haas has the brains to dump Steiner.

8. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Hulk to Red Bull is really mouthwatering, IMO.

Igor Ound likes this.
  9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    C'mon! The guy didn't do diddly squat all his career. Of course this year he is motivated because he is out of a seat. The guy is a journeyman at best.

william likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hulkenberg is very over-rated, IMO.

Almost 200 GPs, and not one podium?

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Steiner is the best asset at Haas; he is the one who holds the team together with his F1 experience at Red Bull.
    Guenther Steiner built the Haas F1 team from scratch
    In fact, Gene Haas became involved in F1 thanks to him!

Bas likes this.
  12. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    To paraphrase "Jerry McGuire" "show me the points." The only thing Steiner has built is a team of perpetual losers. At this point the cars are just rolling bus bench ads for Haas Tools.

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I know that Haas is one of the teams you would like to see eliminated from the grid, but consider this.
    Not all F1 teams are in the same category; Haas is in the second or 3rd tier on the grid.
    They started from scratch in 2015, on what could be called a shoestring budget compared to the top 3.
    Their business model is a novelty in F1: Haas outsources as much as possible, almost to become Ferrari B team.
    They never finished last in the WCC, being 5th in 2018, and have beaten teams far better financed or with more experience.

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Haas started out mid-field and went backwards from there.

15. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

True, but that's the story of some teams from time to time.

Think Williams, McLaren, or dare I say Ferrari actually 6th.

16. Remy Zero

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Well, to be fair, he wasn't really in a prime car isn;t it? The fact he can come and score some point at the 'Ring without testing shows his desire.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

But give him a permanent seat and he will drive like taxi driver.

tifosi12 likes this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  19. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Sound ominous. Whatever happens,... Sir Frank led an amazing life. Praying for the best... whatever that may be.

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Jenson Button will return to William's F1 as a senior adviser in 2021.

DF1 likes this.
  22. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154699/button-joins-williams-as-senior-advisor

Jenson Button will return to Williams in 2021 as a senior advisor after the 2009 Formula 1 world champion signed a multi-year agreement with the team.

Button made his F1 debut with Williams in 2000, and would go on to score 15 race wins and win the world title with Brawn nine years later, before making his final grand prix start in 2017 with McLaren.

Button has remained involved in motorsport since leaving F1, focusing mainly on sportscar racing across Super GT and the World Endurance Championship, as well as backing a team in British GT.

He will now make an official return to F1 in the new role of senior advisor at Williams, as announced by the team on Friday.

Button will "provide advice and guidance to the team at Grove, along with helping support and develop both race and academy drivers," according to Williams, and will be on-site at a number of races with the team through 2021, as well as maintaining his punditry role for Sky Sports F1.

"I am so delighted to once again be able to say that I've signed for Williams," said Button.

"Back when I was 19 it was a moment that changed my life and, despite the fact it was over 20 years ago, I already feel like I never really left.

"Sir Frank Williams showed faith in me which I will be eternally grateful for and I am incredibly excited to have the chance to come back and help the team as it strives once more for success.

"There's a lot of hard work to be done but I have no doubt the future is incredibly bright for this fantastic team and I can't wait to get started."

23. DF1

JB role at Williams - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/154704/what-button-can-offer-williams-upon-his-f1-return

The announcement from Williams said that Button would "provide advice and guidance to the team at Grove, along with helping support and develop both race and academy drivers." There is no suggestion he will be as hands-on at management level as someone such as Marko. His focus is on the drivers, George Russell and Nicholas Latifi, helping to try and bring out the best in them and help maximise their performances on-track.

It's a role that suits Button well. Speaking to Autosport last year ahead of his appearance in the British GT season finale for his Jenson Team Rocket RJN squad, Button said: "I definitely don't sit down and discuss financials. We do talk about it, but for me it's important to hear what the drivers have got to say, because that's where my strength is.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"I've been involved in teams around the world in different forms of motorsport for many years and understanding that driver-engineer relationship is very important, so I always do debriefs with the drivers.

"We all get on a Zoom call, we're all there for the debrief which is good to hear what they've got to say when it's fresh and discuss what went wrong, what could be better in terms of the car, the team but also where they feel that they can be better in themselves."

This is the kind of input that Button can provide. He knows what it is like to be part of a teams both mired at the back of the grid and those fighting for championships. It is the kind of experience very few people can offer.

And as impressive as Russell may have been through his F1 career to date, he is still just two seasons in, while Latifi has just a single year under his belt. To have the added input from Button will be hugely valuable.

There is also the natural marketing value. Following the announcement on Friday, Twitter was awash with fans asking "what year is it?" and joking that they thought Button was coming back as a driver. It has created even more buzz around Williams, which for a team so many want to see back fighting properly in F1 is only a good thing.

Button's dedication to the role will also be hugely important. He has previously spoken about how his love for racing in F1 waned towards the end of his career, but instead of carrying on, he was happy to call it quits and follow other pursuits, such as linking up with life-long friend Chris Buncombe to buy into the RJN sportscar team. As Button said himself last year: "There's no point having your name on something unless it's great."

24. DF1

I think smart move by Williams to employ his skill and rebuild at all levels including JB as consultant!

635CSI likes this.