STO or 765LT Spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

STO or 765LT Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Condor Man, Jan 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Most owners of Mclarens also own ferrari/porsche/lambo. Many have bought more then one.

Just in this thread:

socal - getting his second one
    gh - is on his third one
    scrappy- has multiple
    myself - multiple

All the above are also owners of ferrari's/porsche, etc.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    #27 SoCal to az, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    I have owned Porsche, Mclaren and Ferrari. Have had no major mechanical issues with any of them.

My 720 has probably been the most temperamental over the past 2 years- a summary of my “issues”

1- Had a suspension error/warning light pop up. Went away after a restart.
    2- cracked gorilla glass on passenger side- replaced under warranty
    3- occasional software warning- happened about 3 times I think.
    4- minor squeaks and rattles. Nothing major but not the fit and finish of a Ferrari or Porsche.
    5- AC coolant was low. Topped off at dealer.

That’s it. And now that I’ve found my guy who works on all major exotics and serviced them at a fraction of cost- I would not hesitate to own this without warranty.

None of the issues above stranded me or made the car undrivable or anything like that. Do Mclaren’s tend to be more temperamental? Yes. In my experience that has been the case. But it’s nothing major and it seems me anecdotally that the quality improves with each model, each car.

I cannot recommend the car highly enough and it’s a great car to add to the stable along with a Ferrari, Porsche or any other major exotic.

3. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is a very, very good point!

Suppose I should spec the senna brakes and seats too then.

May the Horse be with you

4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I would aim to keep it for quite some time. I have never been a flipper and I like to make use of my cars.

Who knows..... the ultimate version of ICE cars are going to be cherished for years to come, so I don’t really see the need to move something like this in. Not my Pista and the GT3 touring will see my grave too.

Thecadster and exoticcardreamer like this.
  5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Isn’t it funny how Ferrari have become the most reliable of the 3.

I have not had one issue with any of my modern Ferrari’s ever!

Caeruleus11 and SoCal to az like this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    To be fair with modern manufacturing, all cars are reliable for the most part. Older cars the techniques to make the parts werent as good- the pieces didnt fit together as well. Today- much different. I think the only reason Mclaren is so maligned is their electrical issues.

This may be complete bunk but someone once told me a story that when Mclaren built the 12C- instead of getting the electrical harness from Bosch, they tried to save a few bucks and made their own. They have been paying the price ever since. becasue of that screw up. Might be a bs story- dont know. But the modern era cars (all of them) for the most part are pretty darn reliable.

7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Haha, and we also used to hear anecdotal stories about buying a GM built on a Thursday as opposed to Tuesday, or empty liquor bottles found inside door panels. No way to verify. Of course no one’s cornered the market on planned obsolescence like FIAT

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Senna seats for sure but the brakes are std with Senna Calipers and probably fine as is.

Condor Man, Thecadster and Coincid like this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I haven't had issues with any of them other some minor stuff. I hope I didnt just jinx myself though. The dealer has been the biggest wild card.

10. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    There you go again SoCal...lol. I’m 2” taller than you, and probably 60lbs heavier, and I “fit” in my Performante just fine. Also, I sat in the STO when it came through town, and the new sport seats create additional space inside the car. I was actually stunned by how much more room it presented than my HP. Please keep an open mind on the STO if you are a taller guy, you might end up being pleasantly surprised.

SoCal to az likes this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Exactly. It’s like a solution in search of a problem. Kind of like GPF...but I digress.

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I know I can squeeze. I would love to own a lambo but STO is out for me. I’m in and apartment for the next 12-15 months while our house gets built. Likely I will sell the 720 as well. Hopefully the Spider arrives by the time we are ready to move in. So yes I can squeeze. Would love to own a lambo but I wasn’t comfortable in the Perf. Either way- I hope they make them a bit more roomy in the future.

Thecadster likes this.
  13. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is a very good point regarding the manufacturing.

For the harnesses, seriously if they have problems with this then they need to change it as this can be the pure definition of gremlins!

14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Harnesses not an issue with newer models. It was the 12c and that debacle cost them so much good will.

15. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    So I went to McLaren today and placed a deposit down.

Given the car has not been released yet there was still very limited information.

My requests were;

1. Fistral Blu (Thanks to SoCal)
    2. Senna Seats
    3. Track Brakes
    4. Fender Vents
    5. Some carbon, but not crazy.

Based on the amount of deposits they already have I was not feeling too confident about getting one, however they say I am definitely in with a shot.

The guys were also keen for me to get an Artura. Apparently there is a worldwide reveal coming up next week.

The car will be around $250 - $280k USD fully loaded and it only weighs 40lbs or 40kgs more than the 570. I couldn't remember whether it was lbs or kgs, also I was told that it sounds great and has a very similar rear to the Elva.

On the other side of the coin, they invited me to the STO preview on the 24th of Feb and this car seemed easier to get.

16. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    What’s the reason for getting track brakes? Are you tracking? Seems like the regular brakes are good enough. Good luck on the allocation!

17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I would like to track it and also the extra power means bigger brakes washes off the speed faster.

18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I can tell you the std brakes are amazing.

Coincid and Condor Man like this.
  19. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thank you for the heads up!

Gh21631 likes this.
  20. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I was surprised that a decent amount of people did get the track brakes (most don’t track )

just a tip for you and others though ...

Senna is known for how good its braking is (it’s very noticeable and everyone makes the comment of how good the brakes are when they drive it on track . However, it’s more then just the brakes . It’s the entire package of senna that makes it do what it does and not just the brakes/rotors .

2 equivalent full track days with senna at laguna Seca and I had to replace the front pads ($4,600). I switched over to surface transforms and aftermarket pagid pads ($1,100 for the entire set (rear and front pads ). They are thicker then the oem and last a lot longer ). I didn’t notice any difference from the surface transform /aftermarket pagid pads then oem. This reinforced my belief that it’s not just the brakes that give senna the braking power that it does .

I had spec’d my 765 without the track brakes because o knew all along that I was going to go aftermarket anyways .

you might want to ask what the replacement pads/rotor cost is for the track brakes before you finalize your order

Gh21631, Condor Man and Thecadster like this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Allocation for spider secured. Have a ton of time before it arrives. Need to take the wife and pick out the spec. Going to do something very unique. 1 of 1. Probably summer 22 delivery. Im in no rush.

22. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Congrats. I predict the allure of papaya spark will be impossible to resist again when it comes time to finally lock your order. Be careful in attempting to be creative for the sake of uniqueness.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    No Papaya Spark. Time to move on to something else. Probably going to build a custom color. Dont worry- it will be unique yet tasteful. Ive specced and sold a car or two in my life. Dont want to get stuck with Pinkish purple. :)

ScrappyB likes this.
  24. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Have you had any issues with the Lithium battery in your Pista?

Condor Man likes this.
  25. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Lamborghini’s got you covered should you change your mind about pinkish purple.

Image Unavailable, Please Login