Should a Ferrari repair facility fill your tank.... | FerrariChat

Should a Ferrari repair facility fill your tank....

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SAFE4NOW, Jan 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Should a Ferrari repair facility fill your tank?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Should a Ferrari repair facility fill your tank with fuel when:
    You drop your Ferrari off with the with the red light on and the gauge is on empty and...
    a. They have to drive your Ferrari to duplicate your concern?
    b. They do NOT have reason to drive your Ferrari ( nothing being addressed requires it be driven )
    ( Ferrari repair facility can mean a Dealership or Shade Tree mechanic or anything in between )

Please include your thoughts and opinions below to support your vote.

I remember the days when I first started in the industry, where when you took your car in for repair, the only expectation was that it would be repaired correctly on the first visit. Then it became provide a nice waiting room. Then wash it after repairs. Then provide alternate transportation ( Shuttle, loaner, rental, Uber ) Then pick up and deliver became a thing. And so on...

It seems more and more often fuel level is becoming a thing, mostly noted at drop off that the light is on, knowing they are dropping it off with 3 different intermittent rattles, brake noise after driving and only under certain circumstances, and a lack of performance concern.

Do we add fuel, almost every time, without thought, we do use Shell Premium, and most of the time don't even mention it, nor charge for the fuel. When we have to perform repairs that require that miles be driven, we get permission to drive at drop off, and add an appropriate amount of fuel back to replace the fuel used, with a minimum add of 5 gallons ( even if only driven 20 miles total ) But when its dropped off every time in this condition... should the shop just add the charges to the final invoice, with a small service charge to cover the time spent providing this service? I mean there is a value there, right?

I'll get this out of the way now:

The cost to repair is sooooo expensive that the shop BETTER provide everything listed above AND fill my tank AND perform a full DETAIL ( not just hand wash ) and their better be a nice Ferrari branded parting gift in the passenger seat when I get in to leave.

But seriously, I am looking for opinions and thoughts from owners... if you want to share you opinion and are not a Ferrari owner, please start off by stating what brand you are talking about ( Honda to BMW )

I appreciate your feed back in advance!

Steve

p.s. The examples above may or may not have actually happened.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    How big is a Ferrari tank? 20 gal max? At 2 or 3 bucks a gallon?

Shade tree place, no expectation, charge them. Ferrari dealership with all the $$$ that implies, -and- usually return customer? Especially if they bought the car there? Fill it up. If a particular customer is the problem, ask them to buy a McLaren.

Just my $.02 as a dude that -doesn't- expect anything from anyone.

3. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

.....Rolling on the floor laughing, I am so glad I wasn't taking a drink when I read that!

S

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LMAO. BF services McLarens, no?

Once? Sure, do the owner a solid, especially if you need to road test it.
    It's the small kindnesses that create loyal customers.

More than once? Hey, there's a Mobil station down the block! :D

T

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Nothing is "for free". You end up paying for it one way or the other.

6. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "How big is a Ferrari tank? 20 gal max?"

27.7 gal in 575..

DOWORKFCAR and SAFE4NOW like this.
  7. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    For Indy shops, dropping off your car on empty is rude. I know several, and just because they work on Italian exotics does not mean they are landed gentry. More likely they’re busting their butts to make a decent living. Expecting them to take time out of their day to go add fuel to your car, and pay for it nonetheless, is rude. Here’s an alternate thought... keep adequate fuel in your car, and bring your Indy a box of doughnuts or a 12-pack of IPA when you drop off your car. That will buy you goodwill that far exceeds a few gallons of gas.

8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Works at Dealerships too < wink >

S

9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't have the expectation of the shop giving me a free fill up. The only time I received one was for my new Lexus LS460. There was a recall that required them to keep the car a couple days. The dealer provided a loaner and they filled the gas tank. Lexus also gave a $500 credit to be used at a dealership. The Lexus dealer routinely washed customers cars, however, they drove it through an automated car wash. I always put a post it note on the steering wheel, "DO NOT WASH".

I had one of my Ferraris serviced at an Aston Martin dealership. They test drove it and added some Shell gas, which was appropriately detailed in the bill.

I don't expect any "extras". I agree with The Mayor that nothing is for free.

Florida Joe, paulchua and SAFE4NOW like this.
  10. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    Would not want to waste their expensive time. Don't want crap fuel either or fuel slopped anywhere or the lowest ranking employee sent out on their own. Or a fine mechanic sent out for fuel like a schoolboy because I'm too important. It's a simple courtesy that shows respect toward the business I chose to hire. I give them a clean workplace too, I think when evidence can be seen that you care it may help others to act similarly.

SAFE4NOW and AClark like this.
  11. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    After thinking about this for awhile...what about going to your bank and getting a wallet full of money just for walking in. I may change my mind on this one. LOL.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  12. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    Brings back memories of road trips to CA in mid-2000s and $100+ refuel stops.

SAFE4NOW and tomc like this.
  13. GTFan

GTFan Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 10, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    When I pick my car up from the dealer, I expect it will have at least close to the amount of gas it had when I brought it in. And I expect they will hand wash the car. I would think the dealer would prefer clean great looking cars leaving its service area and dealership as well!

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    For me, the answer is YES they should. But it doesn't bother me if they didn't.

Florida Joe and SAFE4NOW like this.
  15. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I expect the repair or service well done in a timely fashion and the car clean (not detailed unless I want and pay for it) with fuel at or about where I left it. Pickup and delivery definitely.Nothing more or less. Loaners are nonexistent at my dealership considering most Ferraris are a 3rd or 4th car at the least. As for the donuts -ok if you like the guys but forget about the IPA- unless you want your car to have it’s nuts and bolts under or over tightened

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

SAFE4NOW and tomc like this.
  16. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Steve , two thoughts on this . Number one I would never drop the car off anywhere with the gas level on red. Number two if they did fill it with gas I would expect that it would be added to my bill and say thank you and I’m sorry about that. Best , Kirk.

wfu97, Florida Joe, Red 27 and 3 others like this.
  17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Dropping off a car empty is silly.

That said, when you get a Porsche loaner, they don't charge for the gas use.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In the old days many dealers had pumps on the lot and we did it routinely.

Fast forward to now in general if the car needed gas we would put a considerable amount in and in some companies a lot boy would fill them.

SAFE4NOW and Texas Forever like this.
  19. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Why would you want to let the fuel go that low in the first place? (Especially since many of us live close to an hour from the dealership.)

SAFE4NOW, Laserman and pilotoCS like this.
  20. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Nice sentiment but we had customer cars run out on the lot.

Red 27 and SAFE4NOW like this.
  21. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    Yup. that "free" gas will be $8-15/gal (just not itemized at all).
    that detailing job? $500 (again, not itemized)

22. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You're the man, Alex!

I left it off with Steve and crew once in a near empty step. Just happened that way. But it was only in for a spa day, and there are about 10 Shell stations within a few miles of BF.

T

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    having the fuel put in is awesome. i expect to get charged for it though. i dont expect the shop to pay for it. leaving a shop on E sucks

Cigarzman, alex, LARRYH and 1 other person like this.
  24. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Absolutely not, so gas is only 2 bucks a gallon = 40 bucks to fill it. Not much really, until they have to do it 5 or 6 hundred times a year, suddenly its a 20 to 25 thousand dollar expense at the end of the year, and that doesn't include any payroll costs for "the kid" that is constantly filling cars.
    Really would it be reasonable to expect you to give 30 to 40 thousand dollars free to your customers every year?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I expect good honest service with the minimum of hassle to me. If that means I pay a little; fair enough.

As to fuel level on return, depends. If for whatever reason I dropped the car off on empty when it’s gone in for say tracking; I’d fully expect to get billed for their time and the gas to the right level to do the job. I just had the tank out on one of mine and they gave the car back with 1/2 a tank in it without an explicit charge on the bill. I was fine with that.

Their loaners they don’t question fuel usage; but as a courtesy if I use say more than a 1/4 I’ll put some in.

It’s a two way street and as far as I’m concerned built on a relationship of mutual trust and respect. I expect them to fix my car properly for a fair price; and I’m happy to pay that without quibble. We are lucky in the uk with a lot of choices; I have 3 main dealers and probably 5-6 Ferrari indies within a 2 hour drive, word spreads fairly quickly!!!

I dropped off a case of bubbly for Xmas for them, partly to see the smoking hot receptionist but more a thanks for looking after my cars, invite to launch events and track days etc. I’m not in the market for a new car but they do a great job servicing my cars. Whilst I don’t get exactly the same treatment as some of their big spenders; no f8 loan car for me for the week, they treat me more than fairly.

(Bmw/mini etc is like a different world of mediocracy and rip-off at best. I certainly won’t let them wash my cars; takes me longer to put right than if I’d driven down a farm track and then cleaned it!!)

430tdf, alex and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.