STO or 765LT Spider | FerrariChat

STO or 765LT Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Condor Man, Jan 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If you could choose only one which would it be?

I was pretty keen on the STO as it has a howling V10, naturally aspirated and looks the business in full race car spec!

Also this car is totally different to my other cars being the Pista, GT4 which will morph into a GT3 Touring & DBS Superlegerra.

Meaning that the STO would make the perfect marriage of 6, 8, 10, 12!

On the other side of the coin, my neighbor has had a certain Blue 765LT press car for the past 3 weeks and he has been raving about it to me!!

One of the main reasons why I passed on the 765LT in the first place was based on the fact that I feel it has a similar turbo charged engine setup as the Pista and will be even more mental fast, when I already think that the Pista is as fast as you could ever want a car to go.

Long story short he gave the keys back on Friday and then on Monday called to catch up for a drive in the Pista and another car that I can't mention. Although he absolutely loves the Pista he was a little shy about driving it given that it is a Ferrari and his current contractual agreement.

I have to say based on this that I feel very obliged to purchase the 765LT Spider and to pass on the STO especially when we are planning to do quite a few drives together.

Which car would you buy?

Tomorrow I am seeing the dealer to pay a deposit.

wthensler likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    For me it’s simple. 765. I am 6’4” and lambos are not made for tall guys . Yes I can squeeze in but I’m just not comfortable. Sorry but can’t give a fair assessment on this one.

Gh21631 and Condor Man like this.
  3. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Work harder and get both :)

Not joking - Two stunning cars - essentially "pure analog" and not to be repeated in the future

Thecadster, Boomhauer and SoCal to az like this.
  4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    6’4” I couldn’t think of a better car than a spider!

May the Horse be with you

5. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Shack! How did I know you were going to say that??

Shack likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Porsche, mclaren and Ferrari Coupes all fit me just fine. It’s just the head designer of a lambo was beat up by a tall guy when he was younger.

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Matt Farah really shows that in his videos.

8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I thought the coveted 765 was going to be limited edition and very difficult to procure? On the other hand, I can get a STO, which is the current plan.

Why would I forego a perfectly good STO in light of an admittedly fast McLaren Spyder?

My stable will consist of two spiders already - the F8 and 458. Thought I had it covered - super fast, noisemaker, drama queen, sunshine day cruisers, and just plain bad***.

Am I missing something, here? What else could a car guy want? Who wouldn’t kill for this line-up?

P.S. I want to have a fling with a McLaren, but I’d like to hear of better reliability reports (coming from owners, not anecdotally). Also, I don’t want such a limited edition that I wouldn’t enjoy the heck out of driving it hard.

P.S.S. bonus points for @SoCal at 6’-4” complaining about not fitting in a Lambo, lol!

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Reliability is as good as anything else and for the exclusivity these are not collector cars so just enjoy it.

Andynyc, Thecadster and Boomhauer like this.
  10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I am biased so if you can get a 765, do it. With that said I think I would like to have an STO as well but I am holding off for now.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Holding off for what? Someone once told a friend ‘no one guaranteed you tomorrow, David’. Sadly he was correct. I often think of this when making my impulsive car decisions. I’m kinda in an unusual position right now as I have a plan for the next year or so wrt cars. Awaiting F8 Spider and STO.

I’m putting the 765 on the list as a potential second-owner purchase. By then I should be able to part ways with at least one of the stable. Given its weaknesses, even the venerable 458 is not indispensable.

12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The 765 seems to hit all my buttons. If it didnt exist, I would go for the STO. If you can drive your cars all year round, get both.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    My issue is that they won't get much use because I'll be all over the place this year.

Condor Man likes this.
  14. STO

This may be the last chance for a V10 NA mid engine super car.

As great as the 765LT it will be bested by the 865LT, or whatever the successor is to the 765.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    But, that will likely be a hybrid.

Thecadster and Jo Sta7 like this.
  16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is a good point!

17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Correct. 765 will be the last Mclaren non hybrid. And Correct. the 720/765 replacement will blow the doors off the 765 in performance.

18. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    This is a major consideration in my impulsive decision making tendencies.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Threre will not be an improved ICE version of the 765. Hybrids are already in the testing stage.

20. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    The new V6/Hybrid Maclaren launches very soon so its really the end of pure ICE.

Ito reliability I cant fault Mac. With all my cars I try make sure I "shake" them down in the early stages to iron out any bugs (under warranty). I have had no major issues with any brands (especially Ferrari - absolutely bulletproof) over 15 years of owning various cars.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Which is absurd. Can't even imagine.

Thecadster and Boomhauer like this.
  22. Neither can all of the tire manufacturers.

As I think going forward the limiting factor for car performance will not be mechanical, but rubber.

Boomhauer and Gh21631 like this.
  23. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Between the two, I’d say 765LT. You’re getting a near Senna experience for a fraction of the price.

Thecadster, Coincid and Gh21631 like this.
  24. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Brooks ran a 9.3 at 150 mph on stock Pirelli tires!

:eek:

25. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    How long do you plan on holding onto your car(s)? I don't think the car decision is really an either/or type of decision.

You can probably get the STO a lot sooner than 765 spider and swap into 765 after having STO for a year or so.

I'm 5'11' and the visibility in Lambo SV and then SV roadster (I owned both), ordered/spec'd the cars before even sitting in one and was disappointed the first time I sat in one (delivery day). Note: I ordered the SV roadster before the SV coupe was even delivered.

Note: I already sold my 765 coupe. I'm going to wait for 765 spider. No complaints about 765 (I had big plans of tracking it). I tend to track and bought my Senna many months after ordering/spec'ing 765 coupe. I just didn't see how 765 could give me the track thrills of Senna and would have just collected dust.

I'm more interested in the 765 spider as it won't be for track use and I'll drive it on normal roads.