What's For Dinner? | Page 638 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I got mine too and haven't had a chance to cook any. I think Gordo just says cook with an onion, check their receipe for the beans and I'll let you know when I cook some of mine.

2. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Doing the turkey soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for sure tonight. Getting a good work out cause I'm moving soon. Decided to move the garage into a storage locker to get that out of the way. Just finished loading my truck with boxes. Going to unload it and then take Bella to the park. I'll be starving when done.

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good idea to unclutter current house if you're going to show it off to prospective buyers.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Mahi tacos. Homemade guac. Trying out Tabasco Family Reserve for the first time. Have to say I'm a tad underwhelmed for the first time ever by a Tabasco product. It's good, not 4x the price of original good. A tad more vinegar-y than original IMO.

T

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    What is family reserve Tabasco about? I've never heard of it. Aged longer maybe? I've got another batch of homemade sauce fermenting away in the cupboard. I don't think it's gonna be quite as good as last years but we'll see. About another month to go.

5. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I’ve got a couple bottles. It’s ok, not very different from the std hot sauce that I could tell. For something different go for the garlic cayenne, habanero, or the chipotle.

tomc likes this.
  6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Family Reserve is an unopened bottle.

Whereas the discolored bottle is for The Thing That Wouldn't Leave overextending a stay.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jdubbya and tomc like this.
  7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I like the jalapeno Tabasco but it's got a bunch of stuff added to it. Not sure why, the regular is just peppers, vinegar, and salt.

8. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm only leasing this house. Looking for another rental, our real estate is too over priced. Waiting for the correction.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Family Reserve is smaller batch. White wine vinegar instead of regular. Aged longer.

All of the sauces other than original have double the number of ingredient: flavorants, thickeners, emulsifiers, etc. Not sure why the original doesn't need the food chemistry magic.

Original is still the best IMO. As suggested, for a change of pace, I like chipotle, green and habanero. I've only had the garlic cayenne once; found it at a store in Louisiana. Good stuff. Asian has almost no heat, near impossible to find, good as a dipping sauce. Tried the scorpion. Didn't really like it. Was all heat, no flavor IMO. Tabasco sriracha is awesome IMO. It's like the commercial for Frank's Red Hot "I put that **** on everything!" Really wish they'd bring back the rocoto pepper sauce ; that was great!

T

Jdubbya likes this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Have you posted up your recipe for making homemade hot sauce. I have a bunch of chili peppers on order, some plants overwintering ; starting germinating some seeds this week (fingers crossed!). If the gardening gods smile on us, we hope to have a bumper crop of peppers! So, I may need some ideas to use them.

T

11. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'll look it up, it's simple. Peppers, vinegar, water and salt. I add a bit of onion and garlic. Then you just cook it for like 10 minutes, whiz it up in a processor or blender and throw in jars in a dark place for three months or so. But I'll find the recipe and post it. My batch last year was from extra peppers at the end of the season, I even threw all the green habaneros in. It was very good. Didn't grow much this year but got some from my CSA and bought some at the store.

I'm hoping to do better with a garden this year too. Peppers are tough here because they take so long to start. Most of the plants I had two summers ago I bought pretty good size. I've not had great luck starting plants from seed but I do direct sow lettuce, it works great!!

12. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Here's the actual recipe in pic form, the way I got from a friend. I usually have to look it up in my email every year! Like it says after the three months you can either leave it chunky so it'll be like Sambal, or you can blend it further and strain to get it down to a little thicker than Tabasco. The first year I made it I did both. Last year I blended and strained it all down and bought some little bottles. Kept some and gave some away. It was popular.

13. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Oh, and I like this one because since you cook it before fermenting it doesn't need any tending, venting, nothing. Just put it in the jars and leave it in a dark cupboard. Other recipes need more.

14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Thanks. Sounds like the Tabasco recipe!

We use seed tape for lettuce with great success. At least early and late in the season. When it's roasting hot in the middle summer, we do our best just to keep lettuce alive until fall by moving their pots into a shaded area.

By the way, you can overwinter pepper plants to get a head start on the season. They need to be pruned back and covered. Lots of YouTube videos on the topic.

http://www.chileplants.com
    also has a lot of info on pepper plants. You can see if there are any with a shorter growing season that you might like. Although if you like the hottest peppers, those mostly take a long time to mature and fruit.

T

15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
  16. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    NbyNW likes this.
  17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Strips, strips, strips are everywhere. I'll be joining that club, cooking a costco prime NY tonight...

Torn on whether to high-temp pellet smoke it, or turn my propane grill on for the first time since I got it 5 months ago, or use the cast iron on my 24,000BTU outdoor burner...or a combination thereof...

18. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Doing Kirkland Angus beef patty burgers. Got a few left and want to use them up. Freezer is getting lower, one more turkey to go. Then its just mixed veggies and think smoothie mixed fruit. I'll make a turkey casserole to get rid of the mixed veggies.

19. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

#15944 NbyNW, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Same here with Scorpion, just hot to be hot with no flavor. I tossed a bottle then kicked myself - meant to save it. Science experiment... Dilute and spray on bushes the deer like to munch on. Bet that would get their attention! I'll get a couple bottles and try it next fall. Mixed in a neem oil solution may work, that stuff is pretty sticky.

Love their sriracha sauce! I order direct from Tabasco and get a few bottles of it each time along with other goodies.

Edit... just checked their website, no gallon containers of Scorpion (deer repellent). Others are about $50/gal, not bad!

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    24 thousand BTUs! There can be no other answer!
    T

arizonaitalian and NbyNW like this.
  21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Better watch it, your deer may develop a taste for hot stuff! You don't want chili head deer running around your property!

T

22. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm mean. I put Tabasco sauce on stuff that Bella tries to chew. Like furniture. She doesn't like the bottle now. I took a rock from her the other night. She nipped me hard, but not hard enough to break skin. I gave her a shot of Tabasco sauce on my finger. Had the bottle in my pocket. Its a harsh correction for a five month old dog, but can't have her biting. She'll be over 100lbs soon!

wax and arizonaitalian like this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Oddly enough, digging, biting, chewing, etc. have never been issues with the Princess. She came from the pound both crate trained and house broken.

Salmon burgers tonight. Roasted some Anaheim chiles. Blended those into some hummus, squirt of lime, dash of EVOO. That was the burger topping, along with some chili garlic paste.

T

max930 likes this.
  24. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    My turn at strip night...I went with an hour in the smoke at 220F and then seared in cast iron at a screaming hot eleventy degrees using rendered beef fat oil and a touch of olive oil. Super yummy and tender. Gotta love Costco prime grade.

TexasF355F1 and NbyNW like this.
  25. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    You missed the teething stage T. Bella's adult teeth are starting to come in. I have bones for her to chew, but she still likes the coffee table.