This will probably be the most powerful F355 ever. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

This will probably be the most powerful F355 ever.

Discussion in '348/355' started by Flavio_C, Jan 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I think people are missing the point. The guy on the video will put a turbo on a $30K F355 as a showcase for his company (FuelTech). That F355 Spider was stopped for years, with a ton of missing parts, and he decided to put it to work. What would be better, to see it being broke for parts?

Mark HT, white out and tres55 like this.
  2. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Funny coincidence. FuelTech, the company of the guy from the video, signed an agreement with other companies to joint develop an after market kit to "electrify" ICE cars.

3. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think it's a great idea...

All modern hypercars are generally some sort of hybrid application. Putting an even 100hp motor on the front wheels of a 355 would retain the exhaust note and bring it into 2021 for performance.

4. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    I am loving that install. I would like that in my f355. Is there a video of it running yet?

5. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What's the plan with the intercooler? Is there any ducting or is it just picking up all the exhaust heat and putting it into the intake charge? (on top of turbo inlet taking in engine compartment heat).

Stock y-pipe feeding turbo inlet means I would guess primary exhaust path is attached to 2 wastegates. Hopefully the catalysts in that can handle 4x the flow without coming apart and taking out the turbine.

Looks like they took the quickest easiest path to throwing a turbo on it with little concern for efficiency.

6. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    At 41:00 he turns on the car for the first time using FuelTech, however still normally aspirated. The turbo installation will come on the next video:

Jackie and bill likes this.
  7. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    What would be a more "efficient" installation in your opinion?? Putting the intercooler on the front? o_O

On the F355 the exhaust heat "warms" the airboxes and the intake anyway. So an intercooler will help lower the intake air temperature, regardless. Also, I think you are missing an important point: the "cold" air on the compressor side of the turbo will get heated by the turbine side. Therefore an intercooler will always help.

Let's see the next video with it running the turbo. Being done by a company which produces racing ECUs, I guess they should know a thing or two about the physics of the engine.

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    No I'm certainly not missing the point. An intercooler becomes an interheater if the air going through it externally (from the heat of the engine and exhaust parts directly under it) is hotter than the compressed air it's flowing internally.

F40 and 288 had similar engine bay placement but had ducting to run outside air through the core.

This appears to have no ducting of fresh air to the core so it would have lower intake air temp with no "intercooler" at all.

A more efficient setup would be to build ducting to it (which may not be possible) or run an air to water core with a heat exchanger that is fed outside air.

The temperature of the air on the compressor side is not influenced much by the turbine, compared to the temperature of air it's ingesting and the temperature created by compressing it.

Sure it will make more power with a turbo than without but this isn't a good way to do it.

ShineKen and SoCal1 like this.
  9. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    The F355, being mid-engined, has many installation constrainsts and thus it's practically impossible to find a better position for the intercooler. That being said, I'm pretty sure they will look into how properly run the outside air through the intercooler.

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U are so right. I’d never try to get more power out of a classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I can understand if what this company is trying to achieve is to showcase what they are capable of. But if they are hoping that every 355 owner will rush to their store to buy a kit, they might be disappointed.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  12. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    You mean in the way that singer are disappointed that every 911 owner isn't rushing to there 'store".
    I'm quite sure no one is expecting that. I also have no doubt that they might have read the 355 section of fchat and saw just how negative some owners can be. This is an fchat thing that does back for over a decade or so ;)

13. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #39 Flavio_C, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    They don't manufacture or sell turbo kits.

14. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #40 Flavio_C, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    It's alive! A lot of interesting stuff on the next video. For instance, they are using two electronic wastegates, flexfuel sensor, closed-loop control, etc.

Attached Files:

Jackie and bill likes this.
  15. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    How did you get that video? Are you part of the build team?
    Loving it :)

16. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Agreed.

Maxwell did a much better job with the 348/355 turbo cars

Image Unavailable, Please Login [/url]

tres55 likes this.
  17. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    This car was a work of art when he did it. Still is IMO.

white out likes this.
  18. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I also agree with @INTMD8 this is likely heating up the air more than it would without it.

They could modify the trunk lid and use a roof scoop though if it were a Berlinetta.

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Looks like twin turbos for faster response, stock(ish?) airboxes feeding outside air to turbo inlets, and a liquid to air intercooler, all while maintaining symmetry. Nice!

20. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    #46 ShineKen, Jan 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    Even an Exige which comes stock supercharged with OEM ducting making only 200 ish hp has heatsoak issues. Liquid to air intercooler is most effective solution, but more plumbing work adding more complexity.

That’s why I kept my Exige NA. Saved a bunch of headache.

My Turbo Rx7 has a custom intercooler/radiator V-mount in front along with proper ducting to make sure both intercooler and radiator is getting all the cold air it can get and proper exit of hot air as well.

If the setup is not well thought out, car is only good for cold night runs.

21. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Airboxes were made from scratch, but like the rest of the car designed to look stock to the untrained eye.

22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    My friend saw it on Facebook and sent me. No, I am not.

23. foresterguy

foresterguy Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Full Name:
    Steve M.
    What Whiteout said...Steve had the front bumper on the 348 twin turbo modified by mirroring the right A/C Condenser inlet. Behind the new left side inlet, he fabricated/welded ducting that provides air to dual radiators, one behind the other, with coolant lines that travel back to the liquid-to-air intercooler in the engine bay. There's also a large fan behind the dual radiators with a switch on the console in case additional cooling (city/traffic) is needed. You don't see any of this with the bumper and fenderwell panel installed. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

white out and INTMD8 like this.
  24. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    almost purchased that car U heard it went to nc.