First time buyer: Would like input on F430 vs California | FerrariChat

First time buyer: Would like input on F430 vs California

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Spartan_agent, Jan 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spartan_agent

Spartan_agent Rookie

Jan 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike Jones
    I’m looking to purchase my first Ferrari. Budget is under $140k which gives me options on a ‘05-08 F430 or a ‘10-14 California. What are the positives and negatives to owning either one? Thanks!

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    The messed up brake light arrangement on the California would bother me, and some snobs may turn up their noses at it as "not a real Ferrari" , but it's a beauty and has a usable trunk. See Doug Demuro's review here

But the F430 is a mid-engine design which I have always preferred. I imagine the F430 will hold its value better too, though I don't really know.

Spartan_agent likes this.
  3. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I was in your position a little over a year ago. I found myself "stretching" the budget to get to a California that I really loved, where every F430 I looked at made me smile.
    Ultimately, I had to come to this realization: these two cars are about as different as two cars can be, yet still be same marque, same era. So WHY would they both be on my short-list? Because what I really wanted was a Ferrari, devil-be-damned. These two cars gave me options in the price-range, without so many miles that they were worn-out (and honestly, these two cars should last a long time anyway).

I kept telling myself that I would enjoy the Cali, because my wife would like it and she could bring the dog. (back-seat). As I was vacillating back-n-forth, I kept finding myself using the words "practical" or "pragmatic" each time that I'd lean towards the Cali. Ultimately it took my wife pointing-out to me that this meant the Cali was a compromise between wanting that F-car, and feeling selfish or irresponsible about it. "This is your first Ferrari", she said; "Don't compromise". (YEs, I know: she's a keeper!)

I really like the Cali, despite the nay-sayers about the first-gen. And I do fully expect to be in a California next, because it is an amazing car, offering some things which may fit my lifestyle better than the F430 does, particularly as I've now crested the 50-yr-old mark, haha . However: I'll always be glad that my First Ferrari was a No-Compromise car; EXACTLY the car I dreamed of as I was growing-up. It makes all the right sounds & smells. It begs me to park it on the far-side of the parking lot, so I can stare at it as I walk towards it. It introduced me to SuperCar ownership, which isn't why I wanted it, but I've found I quite enjoy the smiles the car brings to my neighborhood & office. Showing-up in that car is an event. My wife says it's like being in a parade: you're required to smile and wave everywhere you go. haha.

Now maybe some of this speaks to you, and maybe it doesn't. But the underlying theme here is this: Why do you want a Ferrari, and which car fills that need?

irakles, sixcarbs, Steveinfl and 7 others like this.
  4. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    I have always like the 430. I think it depends on what you are looking for. The Cali is really an amazing value and it is like a grand tourer. It is easy to drive on a daily basis but plenty powerful. The 430 is a mid engine sports car with great lines that I’ve always loved. These cars still pull me and I have to say that if it were me choosing between these two cars only at this price point, I would go with the 430 because it just has a more exotic flavor to my eyes. I would also search under each forum so you understand the strengths and weaknesses of each car and cost of maintenance so you can budget for this. Good luck with you search and enjoy the process. It’s a lot of fun.

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    if it's your first ferrari i would go F430. i would say its more of a ferrari. it feels real light, plenty of power, great exhaust note!

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  6. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I bought a 2009 430 a year ago. Every time I drive past a group of young boys on their skateboards or bicycles, they stop and stare with their mouths open. Kinda like I did when I was a kid looking at a Ferrari. I don’t think you’ll get that with a California.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Spartan_agent and mathewr like this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If I wanted a Cali for the back seat, I would get a T with all the improvements....and still in your price range. If I wanted a pure sportscar, I would stretch to get a 458 (although I personally didn't like it, most Ferrari guys do).

SAFE4NOW and Spartan_agent like this.
  8. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The 430 is everything a Ferrari should be, I love mine.

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I dont want to sound crass, but a front mounted motor in any Ferrari should be a V12 , like the original Calif, my thoughts from Ferrari land, most of the folks I see driving them, might as well be in a miata, it s a very sad assembly line looking combination. The 430 is the obvious pick, its to bad your budget does not allow for a 6 speed manual gearbox,not your fault, greed is not good. I hope we se some pictures soon !!

Thank you

dodici likes this.
  10. Spartan_agent

Spartan_agent Rookie

Jan 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike Jones
    Saw this video and he had some great points. Thanks for the input.

11. Spartan_agent

Spartan_agent Rookie

Jan 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike Jones
    Wow!! Thank you for this insight. This really opened up my eyes. The Cali really felt like a compromise and I definitely don’t want that. I have teenage kids so I kept thinking, “What about them?” At the end of the day, I deserve this and this is for me!

12. Spartan_agent

Spartan_agent Rookie

Jan 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike Jones
    The 430 is definitely more exotic and a head turner. Thanks for your input.

13. Spartan_agent

Spartan_agent Rookie

Jan 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Mike Jones
    Will definitely be posting pictures! Thank you!

14. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Neil Puzon and Reacherman1022 like this.
  15. Rlurie1

Rlurie1 Rookie

Dec 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ryan Lurie
    Depends on what you want. Sounds like it’s more for you and not the family so go with what you want. I wanted a Ferrari where I could drive it with the wife and two daughters. They can fit in the back seats at their age and so the Cali was the best option for me. My Cali T gives me great joy driving it with my whole family in it. Love the look of both cars so for me it was more about being able to drive it with more than just my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlexBen likes this.
  16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You'd be surprised. Kids seem to love anything with a prancing horse on it. It's only on Ferrari chat that folks seem to stress over whether the California is a real Ferrari or not.

OP...Drive both, your gut will tell you which one to choose. Both are great Ferrari, but very different in mission, style and comport. You cannot go wrong with choosing a Ferrari. Good luck...T

Andynyc, SAFE4NOW and jag-oo-r like this.
  17. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    Love this spec. What a looker. I love the blue and red.

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The two are apples and oranges.

The F430 has always been one of my favorite cars. In some ways, more mechanical and less electronic-y than the 458. I like the mechanical clanks of the gearbox shifting back there. But it is older and can break. When it does its not cheap. But, neither is any Ferrari.

I agree the F430 will hold up its value longer. People like mid engine Ferrari cars.

The CA is more of a GT and less of a sports car. If you want something more for a trip or DD, its intended for that purpose. It also has some space behind the seats. It has better creature comfort but by today's standards, its pretty far behind with information systems of today's cars. Most likely the Nav would be useless compared with using Waze or Google maps. Some CA's came with mag ride which like the 458 has a "bumpy road" mode. The F430 has no adjustments on the ride but does have a manetino that works with the Ediff, engine, and brakes.

IMO, the best F430's were those build in 2008-9 when they upgraded some systems and included Ceramic brakes.

Both are fine cars. Its more a matter of how you intend to use them.

That being said, when the CA came out years ago I said it would be the most popular first time purchased Ferrari of all time. They are all convertibles, they are plenty fast enough, they have a true Ferrari built engine, they are more practical for everyday use, they made a lot of them so finding a good one is easier, and they are cheaper than most other models.

19. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Engine in the back, enough said.

ShineKen likes this.
  20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    As others have shared, F430 and California are different cars, with different purposes, both at 100% Ferrari

The California is a Ferrari you can drive everyday , F430.. can you, yes, but will you?
    the tail light configuration can easily be " corrected " for less than $500

The F430 is more easily considered more exotic and has the cool factor you may want.

Regardless, drive them both, choose which fits your needs the best, and don't look back!

Steve

AlexBen likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The back seats are quite small unless your kids are petite, only good for short trips. As many others have said, it really depends on what you're looking for.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  22. greginportlandor

Jul 3, 2020
    I have two boys who were age 7 and 9 at the time when I bought a Lotus Evora thinking it would be fun for them to experience the car too. It is similar to the California with a small back seat that isn’t for adults. They were excited when they sat at one of the cars at the dealership and were saying buy it.

When I actually got the car a few months later the older one didn’t like riding in it all, saying it looked cool from the outside but he liked riding in the minivan better!

It was cool to pick them up from school a couple times and get all the positive attention from other kids but overall I wouldn’t count on your kids wanting to ride in the back very much. If they are teenagers you can take them one at a time in the front seat of the F430. When researching my purchase and briefly dreaming of a Ferrari instead I read that the California has explosive bolts that deploy the roll bar in case of an emergency right over the rear of the car. That was unsettling enough not to want to put kids in the back seat where their head would be right next to that. Not sure if it is really a danger or not, though.

paulchua likes this.
  23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I drove a California for six months. It's a great Maserati! ;)

FWIW my kids were 10 and 13 at the time and there was no way in hell they'd fit in the back. I tried it for two short ice cream runs and they complained the entire time. Couldn't get them back there if I paid them.

I also think the F430 will be less of a loss in the long run. Especially if you can some how swing a 6 speed coupe.

24. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Glad to read this. I was considering getting one when I sell my current ride simply because I thought I could use it for trips with the family and still have a Ferrari but it sounds like that’s not going to work.

25. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    If family trips are on your mind look at a 612.
    A Ferrari mid (front) engine V12 with real back seats.
    This is the most underrated Ferrari there is!