Top of the Mountain Motorcycle Museum totally destroyed | FerrariChat

Top of the Mountain Motorcycle Museum totally destroyed

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Challenge64, Jan 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Very sad news here. One of my favorite museums, the Top Mountain Motorcycle Museum burned to the ground. News reports say it was a total loss.

https://www.rideapart.com/news/466925/top-motorcycle-museum-austria-fire/

I visited the museum about 2 years ago when we did a story on Mr. Scheiber and his collection. Unfortunately I photographed at least one Ferrari there. No word if it was there when it burned. Also there was an amazing Alfa Romeo and of course priceless motorcycles.

My pictures from my visit...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I dont know anything about motorcycles, but I am sure that is a terrible loss. Judging by that 275 and that Alfa, if the bikes are of commensurate quality this is a disaster.

caratsch and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Ohhhhh nooooo! I’ve been wanting to visit this place. This is terrible news.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Is that Oro Chiaro alloy 275 GTB #08033?

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I have the serial number somewhere in my notes but safer to just let Mr. Massini chime in.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m not sure it’s oro chiaro. The lighting and the color of the walls could give some shades of silver a bit of gold tint in that environment.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The MV Agusta 750S is one of my favourite bikes.

Boomhauer and turbo-joe like this.
  8. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    So is that 275 GONE?

9. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is Oro Chiaro 16-Y-19.
    Interior Rosso Scuro VM 893.
    Here it is arriving at the museum 19 June 2019.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey, Lusso123, BJK and 4 others like this.
  10. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    No operational fire suppression system ?

Lusso123 and NYC Fred like this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005

Marcel Massini

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    sad to watch this desaster :( :( :(

13. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very sad loss...Like many I wonder if it was arson...in the TV report, if I understood the police officer properly despite the heavy regional accent, police will carry out an inquest into the cause which is routine anyway. He did not imply anything. A lot of car, bike enthusiasts like nature too but a lot more nature lovers might not have liked that "museum of polluting vehicles" being up there...

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  14. lbird

lbird Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2012
    Germany
    Surely a terrible loss, but Marc, don't you think the idea of someone setting the building on fire because he is a nature lover (to the extreme) is a little far fetched and premature?

15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I dearly hope that theory is wrong, we will see what the inquest concludes.

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Perhaps premature but not far fetched. In the US some radicals have been known to booby trap trees so as to injure or even kill lumbermen.

17. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  18. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Notice convenient time for the fire to start: middle of the night; and homogeneous spread of fire (not my remark someone else's) suggesting perhaps simultaneous lighting in different spots....Anyway amazing that construction rules even allow the lack of sprinklers.

19. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    Boomhauer likes this.
  20. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps someone channeling Lord Brockett or maybe “Wotan” (at the end of “Die Walküre“) ?

Lusso123 and Nembo1777 like this.
  21. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Well as far as I could tell when I visited the museum, the entire structure was wood. Beautiful but wood. And no there was no fire suppression system that I could see in my 200 plus photos of the place.

As for motive, let it be suspicions of arson or insurance, the brothers who owned the museum own the toll road over the pass to the border, virtually all hotels, ski lifts, and more in the area. Back in 2018 the impression I got was that they were more than well off. COVID changed things for the worse in that area but I honestly don’t think they had any roll here other than stupidity housing a priceless collection in an all wood structure

22. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Most building codes base sprinkler requirements on use category, occupancy, and size (area). It also depends on how old the building was, as codes change over time. That said, I worked on the architectural team for a project at a major American museum. I will always remember the discussions with the curators about sprinklers; many were appalled at the thought of sprinklers accidentally going off. Our reply was simple - would you rather have to restore a painting/gallery or - risk loss of the entire building and collection? End of discussion. The problem was mitigated with what are known as pre-action systems. Two signal activation events have to happen before the pipes charge with water - any combination of sprinkler head fuse, smoke detector, heat detector. The pre-action also protects from frozen pipes, as the pipes only charge in an event. There was also discussion of using another extinguishing system to suffocate fire; but these depend on storage tank systems for the medium, and once expended, if the fire were to re-ignite, you're done. Water sprinklers are typically connected to dedicated feeds off municipal water systems tested for adequate water flow rate/pressure (or need assist of a permanent fire pump). At this mountain location is there a sufficient water main source. As noted extensive wood structure and wood finishes in the photos. There is a point where the fire heat/intensity will flash over and engulf everything, especially with the presence of fuels and so much wood, and if the fire was not detected early (Notre Dame). Don't get ahead of yourselves. Premature speculation is reckless. Let the fire services do their work.

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Boomhauer likes this.
  24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    NürScud, turbo-joe, 375+ and 2 others like this.