Would you use the Ferrari dealers shipper? | FerrariChat

Would you use the Ferrari dealers shipper?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by peterye93, Jan 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterye93

peterye93 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Hi everyone,

I have a deal on a Ferrari that is at a Ferrari dealer.

The car needs to go from la to ny.

Honestly the google/Yelp reviews of the shipper are terrible - customer service etc but the dealer swears by them.

The price is same as others.

Ive never shipped a car. Unclear if they use their own trucks/drivers or outsource for coast to coast (I will find out).

Would you find your own shipper based on referrals (many on this board) or go via the dealer to organize?

The shippers Instagram feed is all cars from this Ferrari dealer so maybe they get preferential treatment?

My main thought is in case of damage I can go through Ferrari dealer to claim/ complain vs if my own I’m totally on my own.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    It's very unlikely that the LA dealer will have any legal liability if the car is damaged en route, and they probably assume they'll never have to deal with you again once the car leaves their premises since you're so far away- I wouldn't count on their help if there's an issue. In light of the high number of bad reviews, perhaps the dealer receives some consideration from the shipping company for referrals?
    I'd do my due diligence and hire a carrier with strong references who uses their own trucks/drivers. At least that's what I've always done. Good luck.

3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Whether or not the dealer has liability depends on who actually contracts with the shipper. If the dealer pays the shipper, then the dealer is on the hook to you and then has to collect against the shipper. If you pay the shipper, then the dealer is out of the picture.

If you are not comfortable with the shipper the dealer is using, then contract with a shipper of your choice. Do a search here, there are threads about shippers.

LARRYH likes this.
  4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If the shipper has bad reviews I wouldn’t base a decision on the dealer’s say-so. The dealer knows he’ll never see you again. Many members here, myself included, have shipped cars many times using a variety of shipping companies. My advice is research this forum and don’t just go with the low bidder. You bought an expensive car, don’t cheap out on the shipping.

My best experiences have been with Intercity, which I believe is also a sponsor of this web site. Talk to Jim. I have recommended them to others who have also been satisfied.

ZINGARA 250GTL and Nospinzone like this.
  5. peterye93

peterye93 Rookie

Oct 15, 2011
    Thanks everyone.

I’m paying the dealer (not shipper) and I was connected to the dealer via a friend at Ferrari NA corporate so i don’t think they can disappear as easily on me in this deal.

With that said I’m still hesitant based so doing my research.

6. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This is very simple. Use your own shipper. Not even a question. You’re paying for the car before it’s shipped it’s yours. The dealer isn’t going to take the car back if something happens. I’ve always used Intercity. There are others out there with great reviews though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nospinzone and Jack-the-lad like this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    What’s the name of the shipper? Maybe someone here has experience with them. Is it open or enclosed? How many times will the car be unloaded or transferred en route? Will it spend time in a depot somewhere? Does the truck have a tracking device? Insist on a faxed or scanned copy of the driver’s pre-loading inspection report before the car gets loaded and leaves the dealership. Many drivers pad the report with lots of nonexistent nicks and scratches just in case the car picks up a few along the way. These are just some of the things I learned to do by sad experience.

8. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Shipping cars right now is crazy expensive.

I use a broker in Texas for open or enclosed when needed. For your purchase though, as it sounds special, I’d go with Reliable or Intercity. Or other big name with excellent reputation (Horseless carriage even).

I don’t like using dealer recommended services usually because they all do backdoor stuff to help each other but who knows if the consumer is actually getting good service (kinda like, you don’t let someone PPI a car you’re interested in buying, at their own shop or recommendation, yes, I’m cynical)

just my $.02

9. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

+1 on Intercity, they did well with my FF although already back then the wait time was pretty long and prices were at the top of the curve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gt1995 likes this.
  10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Intercity, Passport, Reliable.

Marcel Massini

ScottS and Jack-the-lad like this.
  11. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
  12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have used Plycar, Intercity , Sundays , Reliable all with good results ... across country the only one I had other than good results with is Passport but that was 15 years ago so they may have changed... lately I have have good results with Plycar have used them several times in the last year ..

13. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I used Foreign Cars Italia's shipper for my 599 several years ago with perfect success.

14. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    I’ve used Reliable multiple times with great results. I think my dealer uses Horseless.

15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I like the unbroken chain of custody. If anything happens, it's not your problem.

Matt