Dino 246GTS review | FerrariChat

Dino 246GTS review

Discussion in '206/246' started by AC6, Jan 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Hi all, please check out my review of a friend's 246GTS on YouTube. I posted my review on another friend's 308GTB on the 308 forum and got some great feedback and interesting discussions so hoping to dig into the expertise in this forum as well for the Dino review. Please let me know what you think and if I have gotten anything wrong, thank you!

LARRYH, docf, Eltel246 and 3 others like this.
  2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Very nice review! I miss HK very much. This is the first 12 month period in over 30 years I haven't visited Hong Kong,

As the clutch cable wears, gums up, and gets older, the pedal effort increases. A new one is just like butter. Modern cars use hydraulics so the pedal is more consistent over time.

No car sounds like a Dino. I'm not exactly sure why but it has a sound completely unique from all other engines. It might be from that mechanical chain and certainly the carbs right behind your head but its a lovely accident.

The Dino was made in that last golden age where car regulations were minimal and a manufacturer could make a profit on a car that sold only a hundreds of units a year. We'll never see anything like it again -- unfortunately.

LARRYH, fil and Jakuzzi like this.
  3. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    Absolutely agree! The 65° degree V angle makes the sound unique.

LARRYH likes this.
  4. obelix

obelix Rookie

Apr 24, 2004
    British Columbia,Can
    It is listening to the intake roar.With the window open the air intake is close to your left ear.Conversely in R hand drive cars in GB,they don’t have the same aural experience!

5. Tobi

Tobi Karting

Jun 24, 2011
    Alto Palatinato
    #5 Tobi, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    It's obvious that the air intake affects the sound. And you hear it much better with open windows. But it doesn't chracterizes it. Just listen to a Fiat Dino with its eight silencers and a different intake system. It's still the same sound, but somehow attenuated. Listen to a Dino with open intake funnels or a stainless steel exhaust. Different, but still the same sound.

By the way, it's a great review!

6. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    My foreign friends all enjoyed my videos of classic cars with the Hong Kong backdrop, I hope you found that enjoyable too.

Ah that makes sense re the clutch! My other friend's 308GTB had a very heavy clutch before his restoration - now it is fine.

Agree with the sound, it sounds amazing. I wish my 328 sounded like that!

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I very much enjoyed your review as a non-owner. It was calm and informative unlike shouters like stradkid and the dumbest guy on YouTube.

I would like to see more reviews, maybe mix in a Countach, Boxer, Diablo, or Ford GT.

8. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Great review. Sure brings me back to my 72 Dino GT. Never forget the sounds, the chain driven cams, the handling, the ecstasy of bringing it home from Atlanta in the wee hours of the Morning ignoring the 55 mph limit by double once we crossed the Georgia Border into Fl. I will never forget my 1st of 6 Ferrari Cars.

9. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for the kind words! We try to strike a balance between information and detailed footages.

I would really like to review the cars you mentioned too and while they all exist in Hong Kong, I need to find owners who are willing to let me review them. Fingers crossed!

10. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thank you - looking at your profile you've had quite a nice collection of Ferraris!

11. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Nice review, much enjoyed!

Pro tip! Close the door by pulling the finger pull, not by pulling the door pocket! :)

12. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it and great tip!

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Overall, a great review.

Obviously, much of the review is not directed at people here, but rather a larger audience (so I will refrain from the nit-picks), so I am happy to see the Dino get introduced to new friends.

One thing that is cool to me, but also VERY odd to me, is watching gear shifts. Nothing being done wrong, but I believe it is the first time I have spent ANY time watching a RHD Dino shifted.... Super cool, but you did one Hell of a better job than I would have done!

Shawn

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    very nice review .. as an owner of a 246 DINO I think you did a nice job.. for me the Dino is the smallest Ferrari I own yet it feels more roomy than any of the modern ones.. ...
    I like your calm and clear approach very nice job...thanks

15. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for the kind words! Hong Kong is a RHD city so it's second nature to me - it would be a different story if this was an LHD :D

16. AC6

AC6 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Thanks for your positive feedback!

I am very active in our local Classic Car Club so a lot of owners/friends lend me their cool classic cars for review - do check out my other vids in the channel and subscribe if you like the content!