Latest F430 Software from Ferrari | FerrariChat

Latest F430 Software from Ferrari

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    My service advisor from Ferrari of Seattle sent me an email this morning asking me to bring my car in as Ferrari sent them a notification that a new software is available from Ferrari for the F430.

Anyone else heard from their dealer about this latest software update?

What's the update entail?

I also sent Steve Mase an email asking him if this will wipe out my Mase ECU software tune.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jag-oo-r likes this.
  2. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Would be interested in hearing more about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Buzios

Buzios Karting

Aug 5, 2018
    Same here - would love to understand this better. What does it address/update? Is is a safety issue? Or something else?

4. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    I believe it is called the 458...lol I kiddd!

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I would ask the service advisor what it is. I wouldn't have thought that a 10 + year old car would still be getting factory updates?

6. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Let us know the details, Dan. As above, strange for an out of production car. Although, I was recently given a new catalog by Ferrari of Austin detailing modifications/accessories available for past models. Might be a way to generate more revenue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

whatheheck likes this.
  7. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hey Dan. Sounds interesting!

whatheheck likes this.
  8. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Does it apply to the Scud?

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go, quote unquote:

"It is to verify the VIN is accurately reflected in both motronic units. They have found that, on some 430s, the VIN is absent. In these instances, it needs to be entered/added. You will not feel or notice anything different.

Bill Busey

Service Consultant"

[​IMG]

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I told them since its not a safety related update or performance improvement upgrade I will take care of it next time I visit them for repair or service.

Dan

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I wouldn't accept such an update.

1. It doesn't actually benefit you in any way. It just locks your ecu pairing to the chassis and may even reduce performance to comply with later stricter emissions laws.

This update I'm sure was part of some later red tape legislation designed to prevent stolen ecus being recycled and to help police do their job of tracking source origin a little better. Also just happens to prevent legitimate recycling too as you have to buy new from manufacturer.

May even force exhaust valves closed earlier in the rev range to reduce noise emissions...

Pathetic!

At least if they have to do such an update make it into something fun for the owners like a free performance upgrade like McLaren did on the 12C!

imahorse likes this.
  12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    "May force exhaust valves closed earlier in the rev range to reduce noise emissions... "
    What are you basing this on?

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    My experience of reverse engineering about 50 odd 360 and 430 firmware image files and as they get newer in date the laws have gotten stricter wrt sound emissions compliances around the world so the valve opening maps have got later and later.

I can provide evidence if you want but I need to dump the maps again. And this is mirrored on both 360 and F430... Some geographical regions are much worse for this than others..

Sent from my VOG-L29 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Vteclover302 and MCASEY like this.
  14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Forgot to mention if you use the information I already posted on here to backup the ecus firmware you can always revert back with no ill effects. I can also show people how to edit their exhaust valve maps to any rpm or throttle opening % of their choice. I can even alter this for different maps in sport and normal mode.

catdog and f355spider like this.
  15. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Why would Ferrari retroactively make exhaust valve maps more restrictive? The cars were compliant at time of manufacture.
    Easy solution to more restrictive exhaust valve maps is a valve controller. I have the Forza Componenti remote controller. http://forzacomponenti.com/

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Well maybe they weren't completely compliant in the first place. Technically the why question is the same for the why retrospectively do the VIN stuff now? There is something they are not telling us.

Valve controller won't be solution as its not reprogrammable with mapping points , just a simple on off type affair.

Personally I wouldn't want it unless I had backed up the old firmware and had the option to revert back incase I hated it and it made a different to performance or sonics too.

Fenz likes this.
  17. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dan, can I assume that you did not ever have this update performed at the dealer? When I called my local dealer to make a service appointment, they told me that this is still an open recall. I exchanged messages with Steve at Mase eng. who told me this would indeed wipe-out his tune (which he generously offered to reload for a dramatically reduced price). I told the dealer I didn't plan to do the recall/update, to which they responded "we'll have to report this to Ferrari". (I actually laughed out loud when they said that, haha)

You didn't have it done, right? or if you did, did you have Mase reprogram the ECU's?

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are correct Dan, I declined the software update from Ferrari as it adds no value to the car and it will wipe out the amazing tune from Mase Engineering.

Flea7 and jag-oo-r like this.
  19. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    indeed makes sense to decline

whatheheck and jag-oo-r like this.