To tint or not to tint. | FerrariChat

To tint or not to tint.

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Salami, Jan 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    THAT is the question.
    I am a fan of tint. It happened suddenly when I bought a car that was tinted and then I got used to it quickly and have tinted every car since. However for some reason when I bought my 456gt (black) I could not decide if it made sense or not. And I’m still struggling with that decision. What do you all think?

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I feel like it might be of an age where it might be slightly too old to look right with tint. But tint would help preserve the leather etc, however not really since the car lives inside almost all the time anyway.

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Depends on the car and the tint. My E-type with a light bluey-green tint (from new) looks OK IMO, but would look dreadful with the "privacy glass" offered as an option on most cars nowadays.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oengus, papou and white out like this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Tint it, just choose the darkness you feel most comfortable with, and make sure you get a quality product, with the highest possible UV rating ( High UV protection does not mean it has to be dark dark )

Its cheap enough, that if you don't like it, have it removed. Your protecting the leather comment makes it worth it IMO.

Be sure to post before and after photos

S

white out and Mirek like this.
  5. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  6. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Wow that’s a very light tint. I bet that’s 35% and that’s the darkest legal tint. Most people get 20% and thats what I’d get, and limo tint is much darker. I’ve never opted for the front glass tint but I might on this one for the leather dash issues.

7. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel
    Salami, Bas and white out like this.
  8. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Salami likes this.
  9. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I wouldn’t even call that tint, it is a beautiful car though! Now that’s a perfect example. I’m not sure I’d be able to tint that car either, but then again why not. It is a non destructive performance enhancement that also protects the car. Win win win. But on an antique jag? Would it look weird.

10. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Yes that looks right.

11. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    I’m leaning toward tint

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Make sure to check your state's rules, especially on front tint. The laws can be very restrictive from what I've read online, often requiring medical justification. My California has the heat insulating windshield, but my 911 has Huper Optik, which is clear and helps with heat rejection, which is a must here in Texas...T

13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I bought my 550 it had originally come from Florida and had a heavy tint. I told the dealer that the tint was a deal breaker so they removed it without a trace.

ralfabco likes this.
  14. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    If anyone paid attention to tint laws then tint shops would all be out of business. Heck, I’ve seen cop cars with 20% “illegal” tint. If you look at the darkest legal Tint, 35% in most cases, you’ll see it is so light you can hardly see it at all.

15. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I'm a big fan of clear tint. Sun and heat is the biggest concern I'd say--I agree that the car would look a bit daft with dark windows

16. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    As Enzo said !

17. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I just put a light ceramic tint on my 550, I want to reduce the UV as well as turn down the heat a little….I went light because I think a dark tint on a red car looks kinda cheesy…..actually I think dark tints only look good on white vehicles with black trim.

18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Tonight I’m going to dream of doing school runs in a white FF with limo tint

Mirek and Oengus like this.