Why Mercedes is keeping Bottas | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Why Mercedes is keeping Bottas

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Oh, forgive us for wanting some competition at the front.

Beau365 and jpalmito like this.
  2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Oh, forgive us for wanting some competition at the front.

3. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    My first two points exactly. Which is why Max will never be in Merc as long as the prima donna is there.

stavura and Beau365 like this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Hamilton is not bigger than this mighty Mercedes team.
    We will see but Mansell in 1993 and Schumacher in 2007 are good examples of surprising outcomes.

Beau365 likes this.
  5. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Very true, and I think he has changed his mind now. Openly admitting his #2 position shows he is not competing with Russell & since Merc will always be looking for a clear #1 & #2 driver, he secures his claim on the #2 seat. Highest achievable for him & puts a (tiny) amount of pressure on Hamilton's contract, well played Bottas :)

william likes this.
  6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh yes, they were lost indeed, in 1973, 1981, 1986 for instance, but what FUN it was to watch these top drivers with identical equipment going head-on: that was something called RACING; give me a Fittipaldi-Peterson, Jones-Reutemann, or Mansell-Piquet challenge anytime, against the usual Hamilton-Bottas Sunday snorefest. Frankly, I couldn't care less about Mercedes, their image and soforth: I used to watch Formula One for the racing since 1972. Nowadays: I do not watch Formula One anymore (I did not watch even a SINGLE race last year, the most entertaining thing for me remains the silly season), and still could not care less about Mercedes, because they have ruined the racing. Not completly their fault, but the result is here.
    But that's just me...

Rgds

Bas, stavura, Beau365 and 2 others like this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Being the devil's advovate, I would say forgive Mercedes for not wanting to self-destroy by introducing tension inside the team.

They had 3 years in intense rivalry between Hamilton and Rosberg, and probably don't want to go through that again.

8. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Bottas is not a Top 10 driver, and nowhere close to the level of Button, Rosberg etc.

9. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Are you endorsing sport that is stage managed ?

If so WWE is for you.

10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I don't see it stage managed myself.

I think teams have the right to chose their drivers, to suit their goals.

Mercedes has been the best team for the last 7 years, and their results reflect that.

11. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

The bigger question:

Are Mercedes corporate goals suited to F1 the sport ?

Battles for championships no longer exist

12. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Has Hamilton signed his contract yet? I have not seen it has been completed for 2021, any news or updates?

13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    No team goal is to be suited to F1 the sport, only to win. If Ferrari or Mclaren were asked to trade seats with Mercedes the last 7 years they would be glad to

william likes this.
  14. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

FIA rules effectively locked-in Brackley's advantage since 2014.

Ferrari tried to exploit a power loophole to try and close the gap, allegedly, and still failed.

Todt has been a failure for the sport.

Nobody can compete with Brackley.

stavura and 375+ like this.
  15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Nope, he has'nt signed yet. There's a million reasons why he hasn't signed yet.

375+ likes this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 many millions.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  17. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Remember when the Brit teams were “racers” because they took on the the best drivers available (see Prost/Senna at McLaren) and let them “fight each other? And Ferrari, they said, were “unsportsmanlike” (not to say cynical or cheats) because they would hire a second-rate driver as a 2nd driver (see Schumacher/Irvine, Barrichello, etc.) and impose team orders? So offensive to the sporting nature of F1, they cried!

Looks like Merc have learned from the the best... and the sycophants approve now.

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    375+ and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #44 nerofer, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    I am not against team orders in some specific situation, for instance when the Championship is at stake late in the season, and a team has "too much too loose"; if one remembers, Kimi Räikkonen was neck-to-neck on points with Felipe Massa until late in the 2008 season, then his prospects appeared to fade...and somebody asked him if he would let Massa pass, should the need be for Felipe to preserve his chances for the title; and Kimi said: "I work for the team, I know where my duty is"; fair enough for me (It turned out not to be enough, as we all know).
    Or, for the old f.rts among us, remember Villeneuve and Scheckter in 1979...

What I find really infuriating and anti-sporting, UNFAIR to be precise, is for a team to have the best car on the grid by an enormous marging, and still starting the season already with team orders in place! Let the drivers race, for Christ sake, and decide later on on a pecking order, after mid-season, IF and WHEN there is a threat; if there is no threat, let the boys fight for it until the end, and the best one will win. "Que le meilleur gagne"...

Rgds

Bas, Picchu88, Beau365 and 1 other person like this.
  20. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yet he stays. Is well like and received and supported in the team.
    Thank you for the link. Hints of that summary were around recently. I sense teams are moving coherently to limit pay within smaller budgets as Ferrari and others are not at all paying as much as Mercedes were paying. Appears Mercedes intend to move to pay less as others do. Vettel took a large pay reduction. Mercedes will have seen that and then factor Russell and budget etc.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think that the budget cap has set the tone.
    Also, because of Covid, Liberty has less monies to redistribute to the teams.

In the middle of that we have Hamilton negotiating a new contract, taking no account of F1 economic climate .
    His demands seem outrageous, and we will see if his gamble pays off, or if he shot himself in the foot.

Bas and Beau365 like this.
  22. DF1

We see this news but it is only opinion. No party will publish their true positions. I do think cost is now forefront on all aspects of a team. Driver pay is not going to escape. I do think LH has to be a bit more careful as you post.

william likes this.
  23. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    What I thought, and a "friend" suggested a reason, which could be but couldn't be, so I won't repeat it here.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I think Hamilton is alienating people with his demands, Toto Wolff, but also Kalenius who has to report to the board.
    Could Ineos be willing to pay what he asks, or Petronas? I don't expect Mercedes to budge.
    Maybe Hamilton created this situation to exit F1 and claim he has been victimised?

25. DF1

If Daimler proper will not fund as a proposition to avoid cost, I see no reason for INEOS to waste money as well.