How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife. | Page 7 | FerrariChat

How can I justify a Ferrari to my wife.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Simon99, Jan 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    I prepared my wife for a re-purchase of a 2005 Ford GT, a car that I had owned and stupidly sold earlier in our relationship.
    When she found out they had gone up into the $300k region she signaled a red alert.
    So when I decided on a $200k Ferrari she was all for it.

iMrMark and Nonoyeahyeah like this.
  2. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Update: "The car", aka the 328GTS that is the subject of this thread, is in limbo, perhaps for quite a while. The owner passed away some time ago. The car was to be sold as part of the estate. However, I have just been informed that a disappointed family member has appeared on the scene and is set to dispute the wishes of the deceased. The pause button has been pressed for the time being.

Ugh. Family disputes. It can get pretty ugly. And sad.

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I don’t know or ur wife but if ur financial situation allows for it just buy it. U never know when it’s ur turn to be called upstairs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. john_mondial

john_mondial Rookie

Mar 16, 2007
    Hampshire UK
    Full Name:
    John Leech
    errare humanum est, ...sed ignoscere uxorum
    (... but to forgive is wifely)

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Or: "Errare humanum est, ignoscere divinum" ?

(It then leaves open the question of who has to forgive who...)

Rgds

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Indeed. But going back to yourself, if you have been bitten by the bug, there is only one way to scratch that itch (Remember Oscar Wilde: "there is only one way to get rid of temptation, it is to yeld to it"). Trouble is, there were only 152 328s built for Australia, all GTSs; give or take those that are not on the road anymore on the minus side, a few imports from the U.K on the plus side, it's a pretty rare car. Don't wait too long; as said by "Natkingcolebasket69" above, life is short; I bought my first 328, a GTB, at 48 and my only regret was not to have done it before; my wife was "neutral", shall we say. She definitively considered me as "mad" when I bought the second one, a GTS, two years later. Still have the two cars twelve years later.
    Rgds

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Tout à fait! J ai acheté ma Testarossa à 33ans et je ne le regretterai jamais;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

The confluence of Latin, French and Oscar Wilde leads to only one conclusion - buy it!

T

9. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Honestly, not to sound like a tough guy--but I would not try to justify. Buy it if you can and if you want it. I bought two planes and never said a word until after they were paid for---she had not clue.

10. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
  11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    love happy endings

and love that shade of red, really suites the 308.

12. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    I like this response. I told my wife when the enclosed car transport was about an hour away, on its journey from TX to PA. lol Congrats to the OP, that is a great Ferrari and color.

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lovely car to pop your F cherry. Is that Rossa Corsa? Looks a bit darker in some of the pics...T

14. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Don't ya just HATE IT when that happens?!?!? ;) :D Good start to an addiction.

15. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    A happy ending would be my own 328 parked downstairs. The drive of Carl's 308 yesterday was dangling the carrot. But at least I got a nibble. And it was oh so sweet. Finally I don't have to wonder what it's like.

And I sent my dear spouse on the other side of the world photos of the adventure. I'm sure the gears are turning. She knows me. And she knows Carl. And how he's not the person to send in to talk someone out of buying an old Italian sports car.

I don't think this is the last chapter in my quest. And of course, the right car still has to appear. The one I am thinking of is on hold for now. There are only 5 RHD 328s on the market in Australia, which is about the average at any one time in a market where only 200 were officially landed. Patience required.

A348W likes this.
  16. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    It's better to ask for forgiveness rather than asking for permission....

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

17. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Nothing like rosso corsa. It's rosso rubino, a dark burgundy, metalised. It tends to wash out in the sun, but in the shade it really glows. The car has most of its original polyester paint from 1976, apart from the roof.

tomc likes this.
  18. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Now the model decision has entered the fray. 308QV or 328? I've read the never ending threads on this question. Aesthetics, refinement, reliability etc. I think I need to see and drive them. There is a QV and a 328 for sale within 5 minutes of where I live. Here they are. I think I'll go drive down at look at the 328 right now. It's at a dealer, vs. the QV, which is private.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Cat's away ,the mice already out playing ,if you can swing it along with the school fees it's a no brainer.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  20. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

I would have bought the plane and the Ferrari would then need no explaining which would have come after the plane whenever I wanted one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Personally, I like the look of the 308QV better. It is a slightly sharper design and is more of an original. The 328 is the more popular choice. Can't go wrong with either one, but I would pick up the 308.

22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    When was this? There was a time 12-18 months ago when there were a good many FGTs with miles that were $200k or less, mine was WAY less than that.

23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

I've never driven a right hand drive 308. Having been a passenger on that side - I've always found it more cramped that the left side? how much room is ther?

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    my opinion - but a 328 in good shape is going to be a better buy... much more robust and reliable = drivable. the ABS models are a bit more technical but otherwise you can work on both models. 308's will require more routine mtns... and will just have more "issues" as the tech - especially the electrical system is weaker... I tend to favor the 328 over the 308.

25. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    If you really can’t decide between the two, and they are both lovely cars, sit in the passenger seat and get somebody to take you for a drive. Which is more comfortable....you know where I’m going with this?