Best Color For XPEL? | FerrariChat

Best Color For XPEL?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FFan5, Jan 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I have a white car, and you can see in the picture that the white paint is quite a bit brighter than the two year old XPEL. The car had this issue when I purchased it, and I immediately removed all the old PPF and put on the latest. Every time you talk to XPEL, they claim they've "fixed" this problem in the latest version. And while the film isn't yellow, it is not the same color as the paint.

I've had a grey car before that looked just great covered in XPEL. Is the problem the white paint? Which colors would look good even as XPEL ages? Anyone have five year old XPEL on their car and it still looks invisible next to any unprotected paint?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I had Xpel put on 2017 MB SUV and it doesn’t look like that. You can see the line at the half hood mark but overall it’s clear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. kimwizzzuuu

kimwizzzuuu Karting

Aug 26, 2018
    new york
    Full Name:
    Kim
    If u don’t wanna see those precut line. You need to shop around for installers in your area. Some does amazing work for custom cut ppf work that wraps around the edges make it seamless on exterior.

Boomhauer, jm2, ShadowLAP and 2 others like this.
  4. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Terrible PPF install. Those seams could easily have been obscured. Also, the edges can be cleaned to standout less. Just mash a wet microfiber towel and rub along the edge. You would be surprised how much of that crud will come up.

5. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I get the install could be a LOT better. I did get what I paid for. However, the film itself is not aging well on white paint.

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #6 Gh21631, Jan 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    STEK is our preference. It is coated and there isn't too much adhesive so it won't pull paint. The finish is clear and it lasts very well. They also have a satin, black and white ppf.

SLDriver and Thecadster like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You are seeing it because of the job with the gaps. But more likely because of the dirt edge. Remove that and you will most likely not notice it.

IMO get a ceramic coat done again :) as that WILL clean up the edges.

8. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Do you really need to xpel your car? I've never done it in the past and I sure have some stonechips but..

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Yes. Then you won't have stone chips.

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lol. And yet people keep saying 3M and Xpel don't get "yellow".

Get Suntek. Imo the most clear of the PPF's.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    So a couple of things to note here ...

- Yes precut ppf is never going to look as good as custom installed one, especially on a white car where dirt gets in the edges (impossible to get that cleaned without pulling the film btw). However, you better have full confidence (and more disposable income) in your installer if you go custom, cause in questionable hands that razor can do a LOT of damage.

- Custom or precut installation has nothing to do with film quality and discoloration. Yes you might see it more on a white car with precut film because you have available contrast, but the same discoloration would happen even if it were a custom instal, you just wouldn’t be aware of it unless you were parked next to an identical color car without ppf.

As far as which colors work best with clear ppf, I would say that lighter colors tend to show less imperfections such as slight creasing. Black for example is generally the hardest color to wrap because it will show every minute imperfection in the instal. The lighter you go from black the less that is the case. Conversely the lighter the color the more the discoloration will be visible.

Personally, I would do custom cut on a white or very light colored car and precut on any other color if for no other reason that the trapped dirt at the edges that drives me crazy.

As far as which brand, I usually don’t care, I tend to focus more on picking the installer and use whatever film they use. If it does discolor it’s covered under warranty.

jm2 likes this.