Interior Colour combinations | FerrariChat

Interior Colour combinations

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by TomTom74, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    Hi all, perhaps some of you can help on this topic.
    I am restoring( nut and bolt ) 1974 365.
    The car was born in blue Ribot with cream interiors. I thought these were original but after further inspection it turns out they had been re trimmed and repaired and dyed again.
    In 70’s most ferraris had conolly leather with a vaumol finish. Conolly went bust in 2002... some had other types of leather.
    It appears that the original colour was less of a cream (oyster) so rather pale and more what other dyes call ‘champagne’ colour trim.
    Question. Does a color combination list exist or could one choose anything available and not only conolly? Any guidance would help.
    Many thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi, here is a list of the hides that I am aware have been used for the 365 GT4 2+2. I haven't come across an original cream leather interior, but cream was popular in the 400 and 412 (Connolly code Crema VM 3997). What is the serial number of your 365? Perhaps it had Sabbia (sand coloured or light beige) interior originally though it's by no means impossible that it was Crema.

Connolly Vaumol and Cogolo hides
    BEIGE VM 3218
    SABBIA VM 3234
    TABACCO VM 846
    ROSSO VM 3171
    NUVOLA VM 3015
    BLU VM 3282
    TESTA DI MORO VM 890
    NERA COGOLO (sometimes NERO VM 8500 was used)

Other hides used:
    ARANCIA VM 3104
    BIANCO

3. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
  4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
  5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
  6. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    Amazing yes! Thank you. When i meant cream i meant tone not necessarily crema.

Sabbia it is.
    Would the carpets have have been the same colour? I saw other GT4/C with blue carpets on black seats. I saw a 328 with sabbia like seats and dark blue carpets.

So what do you think is the issue with putting in a blue ribot tone carpet with sabbia seats?
    The beige carpets just get dirty and i use my cars daily. They have to be perfect but i am a real user.
    Suggestions and opinions welcome.

And thank you all again for the help. Amazing

7. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Hello Tom!

For my part the previous owner just bought black carpets for daily use and kept the “matching number” ones in his garage...

if it were up to me I’ll change the leather colour...
    Go with Arancia! So cool with Blue Ribot :)

8. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    Tempting. Do we have codes for the carpets too? What carpets were available?

9. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    Ramboy, uk hide vm 846 comes out as tan
    Is this right?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
  11. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    There were no codes for carpets. These are the carpet colours usually found in the 365 GT4 2+2:

Beige
    Black
    Red (burgundy)
    Light blue
    Dark blue
    Brown
    Grey

365s with Sabbia interiors generally had Beige carpets like yours. A few had brown or black, to complement exterior colour.

Light blue carpets were common and attractive to my eyes, though were usually combined with black or blue (light or dark) interiors.

I haven't come across a 365 GT4 2+2 with yellow carpets thought I know that at least one 365 GTC/4 had them originally combined with Arancia (later known as Marrone) leather. There is also a 365 GT4 2+2 with green carpets (and yellow paint), though I'm not sure if the carpets are original.

12. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    So for the 400's that had the highlighted inserts stitched into the seats, were those highlights meant to match the carpets or door cards too? The highlights in my seats are dark brown on the tan leather. Some say I have to match the carpets with the inserts, though I've never heard it stated as fact. Does anyone have any insight on that?

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hi Tim,
    Many 400s and series one 400is had contrasting seat inserts and these always matched the inserts to the door cards (ie the door cards also had two different colours). I have seen only one or two exceptions to this. I had never thought about whether the colour of the inserts tied you to a certain carpet colour, though looking in my database where I have something like forty carb 400s with brown inserts, it seems the vast majority have brown carpets, and the ones that don't (of which most have beige and some have blue) I cannot be sure that their carpet colour is original.
    David

14. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    I will look the colour of VM846 as VM3234 is a bit too pale and not warm.

I saw this Image Unavailable, Please Login

Which looks smart.

aidanparte and Schumi like this.
  15. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    This is the interior of #17233 and it looks to be Arancia VM 3104.

16. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
  17. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I like the lighter, the crema. The darker you go the more it turns into poopy peanut butter, like cuoio...which I personally hate.

Love blu ribot with crema. That would
    be lovely.

18. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    Ok that looks different.

Do you have a picture of crema vm3997 and beige 3218?

I’m amazed at how much info you have. After covid lunch is on me ramboy!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    I need to check all options and see the hides in the flesh.
    The pic ramboy sent of vm 846 is indeed poopy peanut.
    I want something warm or refined. My sabbia interiors had been poorly repaired and painted over. And i thought the colour was dry with a touch of grey which i didn’t like.....

I was thinking blu carpets too as i saw on a 328, and on a gtc/4 but with a 2+2 you have to be careful of having too many colours as the carpets are more prominent that with two seaters.

20. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Tom,

World upholstery has some pics of the various leather colors:

https://www.worlduph.com/samples/connolly.htm

Sadly, colors rendering trends to be monitor specific, but also what kind of light was used when the picture was taken. I have 3218 on my car and I really like to color. I will take a few pics of the seat parts (interior is still out of my car) and post later.

Also, apparently some of the original Connolly family started another firm in Australia:

http://www.connollyleather.com.au/vaumolleather.html

You could also check with them to see what they have.

Cheers,

Sam

21. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Thanks Tom!

If you follow this link you will find a 1976 365 GT4 2+2 for sale that is Blu Ribot with Beige VM 3218 leather (and beige carpets) for comparison.

https://www.autodrome-cannes.com/

Also I have attached a pic of my 412 which has original Crema VM 3997 leather and light blue carpets.

Note that both colours and textures have changed over time. So for example the Sabbia hides fitted to your car would not look exactly the same as Sabbia hides fitted to a 400i or 412, despite having the same Connolly leather code (though technically 412s have Autolux rather than Vaumol hides). HVL Exclusive Italian Interiors are often recommended on Fchat for sourcing the correct leather for vintage Ferraris (though I have no experience of them myself).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    I know what you mean.
    I will get some samples from the various suppliers and check which would have been correct. The french car looks great! Carpets will get super dirty though like in mine so perhaps blue carpets with beige similar to yours makes more sense!

23. TomTom74

TomTom74 Rookie

Dec 25, 2020
    Hi Sam. Thank you!

I will collate some pics as well. The car has been stripped and engine is coming out this week.
    As i told ramboy i’m probably going down the route of 3218 and blue carpets. Beige on beige is great but you end up with stains on then carpets i think.
    I need to think about it!