Redesigned Fuse Block | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Redesigned Fuse Block

Discussion in '308/328' started by TurtleFarmer, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Mike, they're going to be $65 (includes the decals and mounting thumb screw). I was *really* trying to keep them under $50 (it's just a cover, after all), but despite going with the most mfg-friendly (vs proto-friendly) manufacturer, I just couldn't get them down there. My sincere apologies to everyone.

I made one minor change to improve clearances and structural stability--expect to get the first run of 10 covers in the next couple days (the other problem w/going with a mfg-friendly house is they are sloooooooow as the CAD was sent out 4 weeks ago). Assuming fitment goes well, I'll be reaching out first to all those folks who indicated they were "in" for covers (which includes you, Mike, so expect an email by the end of the week).

Thanks to everyone for the patience here. Not my primary job so sometimes it just take a while :)

2. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    If i am not currently on your list for a cover please put me on.
    -Skip

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    i forgot to post I want one also

4. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Hi Jason , I’m in for a cover as well if you have any left , cheers Richard

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. P4AntonLM

P4AntonLM Karting

Dec 31, 2007
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Anton Schicho
    Dear Jason,
    could you but me on your list please, it would give the perfect finish on the already installed and excellent working fuse box.
    With best regards,
    Anton

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    newark_308, NoGoSlow and thorn like this.
  7. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Ya these are great! Jason “hand delivered” mine Thanksgiving weekend when we compared Targa tops and discussed his other 308 improvement projects.

He’s a real super nice guy and an asset to the 308 community with his quest for better electronics

greg288 and absostone like this.
  8. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Wow. Label cover looks great. Nice ingenuity.

absostone likes this.
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Only thing I can say slightly negative about it is that the Font should be one size bigger for easier vis.

10. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    You just need a younger 'significant other' to read it for you! ;)

built2grind likes this.
  11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I do, but not I DO

NoGoSlow likes this.
  12. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Mike, Andrew...thanks for the kind words. It definitely turned out better than I was expecting and does a nice job of making it look like a factory component.

With regards to the small font: good feedback and will see what I can do. In the meantime, I wouldn't advise using the legibility of the fusebox cover as a reason to find a younger SO....so much work and seems like a much more expensive solution.

Paolo74 likes this.
  13. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    As I'm about to also pay for a set to be shipped to UK, can you enlighten me how much HMRC lightened your wallet by?

Thanks, Ray.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  15. Dal308

Dal308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2014
    Coppell, TX
    Full Name:
    Dude
    I need a cover also. Thanks for doing this project.

16. batmeier

batmeier Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Cologne
    Full Name:
    Christian Meier
    ist it possible to send me 2 Sets to Germany ? Regards Chris

17. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Finally put mine in, had to correct some PO bodges, suspect related to stereo that's in her. Cleaned up and rerouted. Not perfect, but a lot better.
    Install went smooth, tested and started up without issue.
    A big thank you!! Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G986U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

myronx19 and NoGoSlow like this.
  18. Paolo74

Paolo74 Rookie

Dec 31, 2020
    Full Name:
    PAOLO MAIRANI
    Hi Jason, I'm new in the forum and I dgt from Milan(Italy). I find your upgrade really great and with the cover too is perfect. I own a 1985 308 Qv. I'd like to order a complete kit. Thanks in advance for your feed-back.

19. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Glenn,
    Looks great! And glad to hear the install went well.

One note: You've got a splitter on the top side of L4 with two connectors coming into it. This is the "supply" side of the L4 fuse. That connection is also shorted to the connector next to it (L5) on the board itself. In other words, you can get rid of the splitter, put one of those wires on the top connector for L4 and the other wire on the top connector for L5. I don't know what's being fed by that second wire (one of them is coming from the ACC position on the ign switch), but it will have much better electrical connection if it's connected to the top of L5 rather than going thru that splitter.

Also, I sent you a late holiday present in the mail...you should receive any day now.

Jason

newark_308 likes this.
  20. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    My apologies to everyone for missing a number of questions/requests. I hadn't been regularly monitoring this thread over the holidays and for some reason, fchat wasn't notifying me in my inbox about new posts :(

If you're interested in ordering a fuseboard and/or cover (@batmeier @Paolo74 @Dal308 @Dr Tommy Cosgrove and others), send me a note at [email protected]. (There's been so much interest and activity, I decided to create a dedicated account system to keep it separate from my personal one.) The design can now support all models of 308 (GT4 thru QV, EU/NA-spec, LHD/RHD) for both the fuseboard and the cover decals. No problem with international shipments (altho shipping is expensive and takes a long time).

I've still got a handful of LHD fuseboards left--I'll send out another manufacturing run when I run out, but it usually takes about 1.5-2mo to get them back. I have plenty of RHD fuseboards avail. Covers are also running a bit low, but it's only a couple weeks to get those back from the manufacturer if we run out.

Thanks and again my apologies for missing a number of questions/requests,
    Jason

21. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Jason

Just wow!
    Thank you for that. Talk about supporting your user base!!
    PO had jammed 2 wires into the spade and when I pulled it off the old block, they came out. Just reused one of the splitters after putting new spades on. I'll pull them tomorrow, remove the splitter and put it right per your suggestion!
    Thoroughly appreciate this, not to mention what you sent. Haven't received it yet but looking forward to it!!

Regards
    Glenn
    Sent from my SM-G986U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

absostone likes this.
  22. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    Did mine yesterday. Smooth. Took forever to label the connectors but it was a zen kind of experience to cut and apply stickers from the label maker.

ZERO hiccups, fit issues, jamming, pinching. I mean it just went right on and screwed down. Directions were great - helped to read them all the way through as prep to catch the “clocking” of the connectors and not over-torquing the center screws

mine is a NA 79 GTS in case anyone is curious about the connectors used or not used.

Pic 1 labeled before removal of my previous box (served me well - thank you Birdman!)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

pic 2 after replacement
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Question on the led fuse test lights. Some leds light up when key is off and test button is pressed. Some more light up when you test when key is on. But some (R1-R6 I think) don’t light up in either case. Is that expected?

lm2504me likes this.
  23. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Since those are all lighting functions, you might try it with the lights "on" (just a guess based on your previous description).

TurtleFarmer likes this.
  24. jsumnertx

jsumnertx Karting

Dec 9, 2004
    Austin
    that was the answer. R1-6 LED test lights work when the headlight stalk is in the corresponding position for that fuse

25. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Thought that might be the case -- some fuses have +12V on them even with the key "off", and some get +12V only with the key "on", but those R1-R6 fuses get +12V only when the corresponding light function is "on" (and doesn't matter whether the key is "on" or "off").

PS Your car is wired per the stock '78-'79 US schematic where the flashing function is:

Headlight pods down, pulling the flashing stalk = nothing
    Parking lights only "on", headlight pods up, pulling the flashing stalk = low beams flash
    Low beams "on", headlight pods up, pulling the flashing stalk = low beams flash a little bit brighter
    High beams "on", headlight pods up, pulling the flashing stalk = low beams flash (while the high beams stay "on")

If you move the TR4 connector with the A (light blue) wire to the TR1 position, you'll get the (better IMO) US '84-'85 308QV result of:

Headlight pods down, pulling the flashing stalk = nothing
    Parking lights only "on", headlight pods up, pulling the flashing stalk = high beams flash
    Low beams "on", headlight pods up, pulling the flashing stalk = high beams flash (while low beams stay "on")
    High beams "on", headlight pods up, pulling the flashing stalk = high beams flash a little bit brighter

Gives a better, more obvious "flash" when you've got the low beams "on".

Du_Man, TurtleFarmer and jsumnertx like this.