How did you get into Ferraris? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How did you get into Ferraris?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by aadesh37, Jan 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. anonymouscoward

Dec 27, 2017
    Florida
    Phil Brody: You ever hit by a bug going 180 miles an hour? Believe me, it's not a thrill. For you or the bug.

My favorite Phil Brody Quote: See, Jeffrey my boy, God put certain people on earth to give you money. And your responsibility in life is to go out there and take it.

JP365 likes this.
  2. Mike H85

Mike H85 Rookie

Mar 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael J Hecker
    When I was 17 my sister's boyfriend came over with a 1970 Corvette convertible and tossed me the keys to go pick my girlfriend up. That got me into sports cars. I bought a 74 Corvette when I was 22 then a '69 427/390hp 2 years later. Sold both 6 years later and used the money for a house down payment. Bought my first BMW - a 325i stick and loved the precision, then got a 91 BMW M5, then moved on to an E55 and now a MBZ C63 507 edition. I've always loved Ferraris after seeing my first Testarosa in a magazine in the 80s but when a neighbor let me drive his 430 about 2 years ago I was completely hooked and new I had to have one. I found it impossible to describe the experience to someone who has never driven one. I have friends who are just not into cars and don't get it, but I am now in the hunt for one and will likely be an owner in the next year. Can't wait to join the ranks!

3. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    My brother took me to the movies (we lived in the east new york brownsville section of Brooklyn) no fancy cars ever passed thru my neighborhood but sitting in front of the theater was this red car asked my brother whats that ? he said it's a Ferrari a very expensive Italian car they only make a few every year ... sorry I was to young to remember the model never forgot that and 20 years later 3269 came into my life :)

4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    That only works on LHD cars :)

Nospinzone likes this.
  5. miaBB

miaBB Rookie

Feb 24, 2011
    Had a V12 E type and took a ride in a 308GTB sold the E type immediately! Bought 308 sold it and ordered BB512i drive it when I can (still have - picked up at the factory) gave up on Ferraris when local dealer screwed around on F40 order. (now have 5 Ford GTs - X1 to MK2)

6. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I was in Bologna visiting the Ducati factory and museum after I bought my Monster; took a side trip to Maranello to visit the museum. The second I saw the Testarossa I was hooked and couldn't think of anything else for 3 months until I bought one.

7. FDP

FDP Karting

Mar 18, 2020
    Daphne Alabama
    Full Name:
    Fred Pierce
    Andrew let me know the next time you are coming down to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores and I'd be happy to take you for a BLAST ;)
    I don't have a 348tb but I think you would still enjoy it!

Fred in Daphne AL
    Andrew let me know the next time you are coming down to Orange Beach/Gulf Shores and I'd be happy to take you for a BLAST ;)
    I don't have a 348tb but I think you would still enjoy it!

Fred in Daphne AL

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  8. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks very much Fred, I'd love a ride out! :D

Actually, my Dad looked at an F430 Spider a couple of years ago but he ended up going in a different direction and got an aircraft instead. Exotic cars are much more my thing than his. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

FDP likes this.
  9. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    For me, it was a slow virtual slide. I wanted a Lambo since seeing the Countach as a teen. By the time I could afford an exotic, I wanted something a little less gaudy and a little more "gentlemanly." After that it was just deciding which model best suited me. I settled on the 360, and it's unlikely I'll trade it for anything else.

10. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bruce

11. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bruce

12. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Rookie

Oct 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I became interested because a number of exotic car companies sell them in Naples, Florida. I read a great
    deal and talked to dealers, as well as joining the Ferrari Club of America. It finally became clear to me that some derivative of the California was what I should buy; so I did so at age 78. I have owned BMWs, Mercedes, and Bentleys. all great cars. But, if you want the sound and exhilaration, none of those can match the Ferrari. I am still a newbie; but I wish I had purchased one earlier.

walman and pdxjim488 like this.
  13. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I was always into cars. My Grandpa was a mechanic, big rig mechanic for his full time job, but did all kinds of work at home in the basement garage. I used to hang out and help with cars. He had some unique cars, a Morris Minor, a 50 something DeSoto (that had the pushbutton transmission, I'd go sit in there for hours and pretend I was driving).

As I got older had a buddy who was a few years older than me who bought an MGB and I started learning about other cars. The A/C Cobra became my dream car. I remember reading somewhere it could do 0-60 in 5 seconds flat!! Way slow by today's standard but was ahead of it's time back then. Then Magnum PI, Miami Vice etc all came out and I was in love with Ferrari's.

Saw my first one up close and in person at the mid 1980's Tacoma Grand Prix (1986 I think). They raced Winston West nascar and Formula Atlantic cars around the streets of Tacoma. Walking through the parking lot one day there was a bright red Testarossa sitting in the middle of the sea of normal every day cars. I couldn't care less about the race at that point, I wanted to meet the dude rich enough to just park a car like that in the middle of the parking lot with all us commoners. :) Never did meet him.

Years later after I'd done ok for myself I started looking for a fun car or a project. Cobras were WAY out of my reach by then. Thought about a Cobra kit car. I was surprised when I started looking and found I could get a 308 or a Pantera for $20K-$30Kish which WAS in my range. I did some research and decided I either wanted a Pantera or a carb'd 308. I saw what, to my rookie eyes anyway, looked like a decent 308 for sale on eBay and bid at the last minute. I won!!

Little did I know I had just bought a car that I became fond of saying, "needed everything". It needed bodywork, the interior was shot, I think it leaked more oil than it kept in, but it ran, drove, and I was able to say...."That's My Ferrari". Kept it for almost 12 years I think and did a TON of work to it. Eventually sold it when I needed some money and the market had gone up.

That was somewhere around 6 years ago and I just got back into an Italian car late last year and bought my '09 Maserati Granturismo S. It's WAY faster, louder, and much more capable than the 308 but I still kinda miss that old slow thing. It's over in the UK last I heard.

Drive 'em like ya stole 'em and enjoy it! Some great stories here!!

walman likes this.
  14. Blerter

Blerter Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    1983, I was working in a bar in Brisbane and one of he wealthy patrons who drove his 308GT4 there every day, was drunk - really drunk. So, at 10pm he picked up his keys and announced he was leaving and I snatched them off him saying, "you're not driving anywhere in your condition, I'm calling you a taxi". To which he replied, "well son, you have the keys now, so you can drive me home". The next half hour of my life, changed my life and while I used the $20 he gave me to take a taxi back to the bar to pick up my Holden, I was thinking, "I've GOTTA get me one of those......."

2012, I bought a 2002, 6 speed manual, Australian delivered, grigio titanio, 360 Modena.....

Hook, line and sinker.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

AandSC likes this.
  15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm guessing but if you asked this question 10 years from now, some people would say "Ferris Bueller's day off".

I hope they still make them when someone says they saw "Ford Vs Ferrari" as a kid.

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    About 10 years ago, wife and I were driving near Addison airport. Sunny day. Saw a 458 Italia, classic red / beige, and thought it the most beautiful car we'd ever seen. Started reading and learning about F. Got a red / beige 911 as my intro to sports cars.

Kept dreaming Ferrari though. Wife's exact words "You work hard, you deserve a Ferrari!" Finally, after going to funeral of a close friend, we decided life's too short. After looking at every car app and website for 2 years, she ordered me to buy a California. She saw the ivory / chocolate wonder we now own on Miller's website and that's all she wrote.

Just short of 5 years and 25 K miles later, it's been a blast. Beyond our wildest dreams. From any rational fiscal analysis, it's really the dumbest thing we've ever done. In terms of our fun & enjoyment, it's only been exceeded by adopting a dog!

Anyone on the sidelines dreaming of owning a Ferrari: if your financials are in order & obligations are met - and you enjoy large service bills!
    - get off your a$$ and get in the game!

T

Reacherman1022 and walman like this.
  17. walman

walman Rookie

Sep 22, 2020
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Full Name:
    Wal Smith
    #67 walman, Jan 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    Well for me, I guess the earliest memories were of the Ferrari dealership located in my neck of the woods. When I was old enough to ride my bike or eventually got my driver's license, myself or my friends and I would take a trip down to the dealership and stare at the cars through the glass windows. I remember seeing the 308 on display. I guess I'm lucky enough to have had a dealership in my neighborhood so I could see them up close and personal.
    I guess I was always into cars as a kid. I had all the posters du jour on my wall. Lamborghini Countach, Lotus Esprit, Ferrari 512 and 308 and probably some others but I can't recall what they were.
    I was reading through a thread earlier today called the British Columbia thread and I found this poster of the Ferrari dealership from my childhood. How cool is that?
    That dealership was there for a very long time, and eventually moved to the other side of the town for a few years while Ferrari Maserati constructed an amazing new building to house the new dealership just about four blocks down from the original location.
    So I have been dreaming about one pretty much all my life. And that became a reality in October 2020.
    I'm skipping work again for the 2nd time this week to spend time with my California. Top down, heat on, sunny winter driving day. Can't get enough...

Love what Tomc said in his last line above...

View attachment 3071204

Attached Files:

tomc likes this.
  18. Archiebald

Archiebald Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Stuart Meek
    1989, every Sunday when the Grand Prix was on me and my father would watch together. Dad was a Mansell fan and he joined Ferrari, Mansell left Ferrari but we didn’t!!

Six years old and from there on out it was Ferrari, no football (soccer) it was F1 and Ferrari. Remember getting books about cars and making a beeline for Ferrari. Still love them, I’m aiming for my 40th birthday to have an F car. This site is so good for inspiration to try harder, I stayed away before as it would make me envious but nope, it’s just fuel for the fire.

tomc and AandSC like this.
  19. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My mom still tells stories about me as young as six or seven years old getting excited and pointing at cars. Later adding “Oh look! A Porsche / Triumph / MG” etc.

When I was maybe 12 or 13 years old, CBC Sports started airing the odd F1 race now and again, since that Canadian kid Villeneuve was in it. Even on TV, and usually delayed by a week so we only saw the highlights, I could always hear the distinct Ferrari engine scream. So could the commentators who would often point it out.

About that time, Dad and I started looking for my first car. I wouldn’t be able to drive it for a couple of years, but he thought it would be good to find one that maybe needed a bit of care, buy it now, have me fix it, and by the time I got my license we’d be good to go. At the time, we were looking at Triumph Spitfires. We went to look at one in the nearest big city, Calgary, and I suddenly found myself at a car dealer standing next to a 308.

My strongest memory of that day was thinking “My God! It’s so small.”

The Triumph didn’t happen. Dad died suddenly, and Mom was definitely not supporting the idea. A dark period in my car history followed...

Fast forward a few years and I was a university student in Toronto renting a small bedroom in a house in a trendy upcoming neighborhood. The tiny little row houses like the one I was in were being torn down to build massive McMansions.

One day, this would have been ‘85 or ‘86, I walked out my front door to head to the subway and get to school, and sitting in the driveway of the McMansion directly across the street was a Boxer. Red and black Boxer trim, orange lenses up front... I was transfixed. There was nobody there to go and speak to, and I had to catch my train, but I know I stood and stared for a while. Don’t know how long.

Finally, I recall I just said to myself “Someday. Someday I will.” And I hopped the train to school.

Another fast forward, and after divorcing “Bachelorette Number One” I thought to myself that with all the money I had been paying out for spousal support and car payments for the car I had bought her on my own credit, dammit I could have bought a Ferrari by now.

My then girlfriend and now wife said to me “So why don’t you? Just write the check. Do it.”

And now here I am. In a happy place. But I still need to buy that Spitfire I never got.

Reacherman1022, Archiebald and tomc like this.
  20. PANOWES360

PANOWES360 Karting

Mar 31, 2014
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    Full Name:
    BOBBY
    Well no more wife, but the 458 is in the garage..... I consider it a win

Roman456 and Archiebald like this.
  21. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    Hey dude, I just have to say, on behalf of all of us, that this thread was a great idea.

Makes for some great reading. I love the stories.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

bernieb and jaisharma like this.
  22. Archiebald

Archiebald Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Stuart Meek
    #winning

PANOWES360 likes this.
  23. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Growing up in Germany it was soccer, bike Racing, rally and Grand Prix. I recall watching the Grand Prix on tv and always loved seeing the Monaco GP. Ferrari was and still is hyped up in Germany/Europe. My buddy there loves MBs but during GP races he is a Tefosi. I recall Niki Lauda‘s accident. I was hooked on fast cars and Ferrari. Then Magnum P.I. and Miami Vice in the 80s and i told myself I WILL own a Ferrari in my life. Now I have two and if I had the space I would get another or more.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  24. Circle K

Circle K Karting

Dec 21, 2017
    Full Name:
    KC
    As a immigrant, grew up without a TV until coming to the U.S. one of the shows I saw, Magnum PI, and that’s when I said, I want one. Decades later , F430

Reacherman1022 and Il Tifoso like this.
  25. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    My Dad was a pilot in the Air Force and was into cars, but not exotics- Mustang, Renault Caravelle, Opel GT (front turn signal lights remind me of a Daytonas). But the fighter pilots (F106 Delta Darts, and SR-71's from Marysville) at Castle AFB were totally into exotics. I was working at 7-11 when a guy came in with a blue 330 GTC. There was also a guy in a maroon Pantera GTS. There was lots of American muscle and cruising on Main was a big deal. One night a guy in a red Dino 246 was going up and down. We followed him for a couple of laps and he pulled over and let us gush over his car and talk with him. That was the start. Later the movie LeMans with Steve McQueen came out and the Gulf Porsches and Ferraris were intoxicating. Then came Magnum PI and the 308 on TV which I watched for the car peeling out in the opening scene. I also read in a car magazine that Ferraris were the "touchstone of sports GT cars". I was totally into the lines, rarity, sound and just plain sexiness of Ferraris from that point on. Once I finished college and got a real job in sales, the sales trainer said "you need to have crystal clear goals and visualize them every day by hanging an image in your office of what you really want- a house, a vacation, a car, etc and work for that every day." So, I got a framed photo of a red 308 and looked at it everyday for over 10 years. I never owned a 308 though, my first was a 348, then 355, then 599, then 430, then 360, then 458. I'm keeping the 458. I would like to add a V12 in the future. I told my son when its time I'll have him place a brick on the accelerator and point me towards a tree. He said, "Dad, that will be in a rental can not MY Ferrari!" We've also been lucky enough to see Michael Schumacher race in the V10 era a couple of times. And if the sound of that V10 going by turning 19,000 RPM's doesn't get you hooked then....