First Post - First Ferrari | FerrariChat

First Post - First Ferrari

Discussion in '360/430' started by Where's Maranello, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    After many years of drooling over the 360's and newer Ferraris, it's time to pull the trigger. I'm curious about the values of a clean title 360 spider that's had a respray (color change). I've played around with early Porsche for many years and original is the way to go. But a more modern (relative) 360 that's had a color change to a more "pleasing" color, would that hurt the value or increase it? I'm currently restoring a 914 and I'm changing the color just for my personal taste. But now, looking at a Ferrari that's had a color change, I'm not sure.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks, Bob

Performify likes this.
  2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    If you like the color, and the car has complete service records, go for it. The 360/F430 will never be collectible in your lifetime. So whether it's a "numbers matching car" is immaterial.

Drive the hell out of it.

Best of luck with it.

Ray

NMNMNMN and jag-oo-r like this.
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    A re-spray even in the original color is seldom a help when it comes to re-sale. But with that said it depends on your plans for your ownership of the car. For me I will be keeping my 360 for some time (already a little over 3 years) and I seldom worry about resale--- even with only 26K miles on the clock. A respray in a different Ferrari offered color may be the best bet-- or at least something close.

Service records are extremely important. Those need to come first. Having a color change done right and to a high level of quality is the only way I would consider the car. The Carfax is not always a reliable qualifier and some folks will question a re-spray even if the Carfax is clean. Something to consider. I would use that as leverage if this is the car you want.

Agree with Ray-- somewhat. While the 360 will probably not become a coveted collector Ferrari, I suspect the selling prices on these cars will steadily climb over the years. It only makes sense when you consider the cost of newer cars rising yearly. As the the old adage goes: "a rising tide lifts all boats". But to be sure I didn't buy my 360 with the expectation of that. I suspect that but I don't expect it. Yet the reality is someday you may put your 360 on the market. Any mods, including a car with a color change, should get a long range look.

What color is the car now? What color was it form the factory (the sticker on the underside of the front "hood" should tell you)? How is the quality of the re-spray? Any tell tail signs of the color change? Have you looked to see if a total disassembly was done? Any sign of the original color under the rubber weatherstripping or seals-- anywhere?

PS: I was a Porsche 911 guy for years. 35 year PCA member. Wonderful cars.

4. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    OK, some good info here. I expect this to be a longer ownership in the 5 to 10 year range so resale value is of a smaller concern but still pecking at me. After years of restoring early 911's, getting things a close as possible to original is in my head now. I need to let that go. I've talked to the owner on the phone and it seems he knows something about paint. The photos show details that would lead one to believe, the car was taken apart to paint it. I believe it was silver and is now orange (not a Ferrari color at the time). We're going to look at it soon, so will update later.
    Thanks for the comforting words. This will be my biggest car purchase.

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would prefer to find a nice 360 in original paint or at least a factory paint color... not to say this is not a great car ...

Husker likes this.
  6. mchas

mchas F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Are you buying it because you’re getting a good deal or because you love the color? If it’s the former then I would probably pass and buy one with original paint. If you love the color and it’s the only one in the world like it then that’s a different decision.

KC360 FL and tomc like this.
  7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I would pass on an orange 360. You’ll never be able to get rid of it.

8. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I see, we have opinions on both sides. I guess that's good to get a well rounded perspective on Ferrari fans.
    Well, we pulled the trigger on this car. For multiple reasons. When I first saw the car, I liked the color. After researching and finding out it wasn't OEM, I was on the fence. So, on to the next decision maker. The records. The PO had a stack of records with videos of the work done. Most of the work done was preventative maintenance. Like an upgraded clutch (recent) and belts. Upgraded TCU, also recent plus a lot of small things you don't think about. The next reason was the price. Probably one of the cheaper ones around that we could actually lay our eyes and hands on without a plane ride. My wife and I are both very excited to pick it up next week. First Ferrari after 40 years of Porsches.
    Thanks for all the opinions and feedback. I'm sure I'll be posting again for future info...

AndreB likes this.
  9. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Congrats !! Pictures or it never happened ;)
    Would love see what it looks like in Orange.
    Is it more if a Lambo Orange or a Porsche Orange?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rosso Dino is pretty orange, too, and that was a Ferrari color.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Great. Good on you. Sounds like a great car-- records and videos are real plus. Look forward to seeing the photos of the car here on the forum. ;)

And frankly, FWIW if the paint is first class you may have a less than troubling time at resale. Some folks, myself included, are always looking for the "different" non-cliche red Ferrari. In all my years I never had a red or black 911.

All the best, Ken

12. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's only half happened so far. We have a deposit on it and should pick it up this week. Only have a few photos at the owners house. My wife wasn't sure if she wanted me to post but hey. "The guy with the Ferrari, makes the rules". (that's a joke). PO says the color is a slight variation of Mclaren Papaya orange. My first choices would have been red or yellow but after looking at ad after ad of colors I didn't care for, this car just popped of the screen. I am a little concerned about taking it to a cars and coffee and I get treated like the orange headed step child. Na, I don't think so... If someone hates it, could you sit on your hands till my next post. I'll probably ask something stupid like, "How do you turn the A/C on?". them let me have it with both barrels.
    Thanks for the comments and info (and future answers).

Attached Files:

Husker, kes7u, jag-oo-r and 2 others like this.
  13. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks Ken, just saw your post. I'm happy to hear folks that look for something "different". I just posted a photo in my previous response. And seeing the paint in person, it's not concourse but extremely well done for a glass-in paint job. I could not tell the original color and the finish was like glass.

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    From what I can see the paint looks like it was wet sanded and buffed up nicely. Cool color. I like it. And truthfully it is rather fitting of the car and I doubt anyone (well maybe someone) would ever guess that it's not an original offering from Ferrari. Not a big fan of black wheels, but that's just me. I could see some silver Challenge wheels suiting up nicely! Check the threads here. IIRC there was someone who was offering some pretty nice reproductions ( his own endeavor) at a really good price. Also there are some wheels that Ferrari360FW here on this forum has produced that are super nice and affordable for his redux of his 360.
    [​IMG]

15. Where's Maranello

Dec 17, 2020
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nothing more beautiful, than a red Ferrari. Yea, those wheels look nice. I have considered new wheels but in the future. Gotta recover from the initial hit. But, I do like the star fish wheels better in black especially with the orange. I'm currently restoring a 914 and picked orange for the color and all the bumpers and bits, I'm making semi gloss black. Just like that combo. The first thing I'll do on this car is a new convertible top. The current one looks a little tired. I'll check out Ferrari360FW for wheels when I get to that point. Thanks for the info.

16. Mel Spillman

Mel Spillman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2012
    Sugar Land, Tx
    I really like the color especially with the black top and black wheels. It's different and looks great!!

17. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Looking good!

18. Stev-o

Stev-o Karting

Sep 18, 2020
    Central Texas
    Full Name:
    Stev-o de Italiano!
    Looks like you already bought it but I would be concerned why it needed a respray?
    Highly doubt many owners would paint just to change colors but who knows??