F8 or Evo rwd | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 or Evo rwd

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tsachi458, Jan 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My disappointment with the STO is the fact that the engine remains the same with no power increase. Unlike Ferrari, and Mclaren to even a greater extent, who have been able to combine big power with tenacious grip and control in a RWD car, Lamborghini has not proven to be nearly as successful. Every RWD model, has had its power reduced compared to the AWD version and yet still not capable of overcoming wheel spin and stuttering at launch, and concommitantly having the rear end slide and become squirrelly upon hard acceleration and cornering. The 765 seems to comport to my preferences and priorities more fully than any competitor. Hopefully reality conforms to theory.

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Damn that is a great looking car.....

3. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Very interesting!

I have been watching RWD EVO reviews today.

I wish I never read this thread!

4. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Is that based on the fact that Porsches are superior on track?

LOL!!

Boomhauer and Napoli like this.
  5. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    PZero tyres not doing Lambo any favours...

A lot more to going faster than HP, I think the STO will give 765 LT a run for it's money in published lap times. For me personally, I don't track my cars, they're too precious and I'm too OCD for imperfections. I've had fun with Vegas track rentals but if I ever got serious I'd just buy a formula 4 car or something and mob everything around a track.

6. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    For those who do not track their cars, track times are only relevant to reinforce their choice of purchase. Personally, my priority is how a car makes you feel when you drive it, whether it is on a track , highway, or road.

3POINT8 and mdrums like this.
  7. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Good review of the Evo RWD by Harry Metcalfe. I must have near enough his ideal spec as I went for steel brakes, standard steering and the passive standard suspension option on my car.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Only in the posing stakes, but on a track or up/down a mountain pass it's more than just competitive.

Il Co-Pilota, Boomhauer and Napoli like this.
  9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You spec'd your EVO exactly as the one I drove and you did it right. Metcalf's comments hit the mark. However, he did not specify whether his car had the LDS, which I suspect it did since the steering is more direct and weightier without it.

10. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I'm thinking I would buy an Aventador SV or SVJ over the Huracan.

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Make sure you drive them first. Very diff.

Boomhauer likes this.
  12. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    No similiarities between the Aventador and Huracan. Must absolutely drive the Aventador since it is a totally unique driving experience. You will either be totally rapturized or completely not. The certainty is that you will not find it bland or boring.

Boomhauer and dustman like this.
  13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I have, tracked them both. Aventador is not the best drivers car, more of a poser but I like it. Something different from the others I have.

Boomhauer and Coincid like this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Completely agree. Brilliant at it's mission as a baller.

With the one caveat that it did set the Ring record for a while.

Caeruleus11 and Ash Patel like this.
  15. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Great review by HM and he seems more impressed with the EVO RWD than any other car he's driven recently. I suspect that the press car he drove was typically specified with every option. I wonder how much the Magnetorheological dampers add to the dynamics of this car, same for the CCB brakes. If a base spec EVO RWD is as HM suspects every bit as good ie sans CCB, dampers and LDS then it must be a cracker of a car.
    Its my favourite new supercar right now and by a large margin and this is coming from a 488GTB and RS WP owner. I've driven an F8 which was a brilliant car except its very subdued exhaust note and the suspicion its power can never be unleashed on public roads. A NA V10 610HP Lambo for reasonably money in base spec sounds wonderful.

nickorette, WM458, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  16. gabf1

gabf1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2004
    Rockies
    ‘Great video. I just picked one of these up. Couldn’t be happier. I love my 488 spider a lot as well. Grateful to be able to have both. May trade 488 in down the road for F8, but not any time soon.

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    I tested both of them as well.
    You are perfectly right with what you posted here.
    No matter whether you choose CCB, LDS and/or dampers, the RWD makes much more fun on public roads.
    Saying this just after trading a 488GTB which is even the more „honest“ car compared w the F8 IMO.

Coincid likes this.
  18. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    As long as everyone enjoys their car of choice and posts pics and vids then we're all good :D

Now, mayo or tomato on fries/chips ..... and yes, you can have both :p

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Try spicy Caesar dressing or simply spicy mayo.

xBox likes this.
  20. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    My initial thought is too exotic for my taste ........ but I'll go see what Harry Metcalf thinks ;)

21. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Car&Driver just announced this year's "Best drivers Car", Evo AWD. F8 was one of the other cars tested and since both the 458 and 488 were past winners this has to be a let down to Ferrari. I enjoyed my 488 until I read all the stuff here and then after issues dealing with Ferrari I soured on the car and brand and traded car for an Evo AWD Spyder. Very happy with my choice and the Evo is just so much more engaging and fun to drive

Coincid, Boomhauer, Tsachi458 and 3 others like this.
  22. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The gearbox in the Aventador is not great. For me it totally ruins the whole experience.

May the Horse be with you

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I actually enjoy the mechanical shift. It's kind of like the 430. Pretty raw experience.

nickorette and Coincid like this.
  24. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    To me it feels like it is being hurt everyone you change gear. I wonder how these will last in the long run.

May the Horse be with you

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Aventador is almost 10 years old. No significant tranny issues.

Boomhauer likes this.