Lewis Hamilton discussion thread | Page 59 | FerrariChat

Lewis Hamilton discussion thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Mercedes would do well to cut Hamilton and they will win the WDC and WCC in 2021. Save a ton of money and will be able to make a statement that it is Mercedes Engineering which is winning, not the drivers. Are the public buying cars made by Mercedes or Lewis? Rosberg won in 2016, would have won in 2014 and 2015. Face it MB invested a boatload of money in this hybrid era and with the prohibition on development they’ve had an advantage for years. MB is in the driver’s seat here, not LH. Pun intended lol.

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I seriously doubt that unless you're being facetious.

Hamilton would have one more season win in 2016 if it wasn't for his Malaysia DNF.

sammysaber and Flavio_C like this.
  3. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    #1453 Dino2010, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2021
    Hey ktu, you were saying Schumacher never had a fast teammate. And I am saying Massa was really fast. You're missing the point of your own post.
    Massa was about to win that F1 WDC, he could not have been that slow.
    Then, your comment about "someone letting Leclerc by in Abu Dhabi so he could win the championship" ... Are you serious?
    Is that your argument?
    Try again and explain!

If I follow your calculation 98 + 25 = 345? :D Well done!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350, stavura, Bas and 3 others like this.
  4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Had the facts been known contemporaneously the results of Singapore would have (or should have) been excluded from the championship.

sammysaber and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  5. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I like Massa, I became a fan of him early on. Your argument doesn't matter anyway as Schumacher's team mate list does not come close to Hamilton's. Again Hamilton beat 2 wdc's, 3 if you include Rosberg. I was responding to a previous poster that said Glock let Hamilton by, as if you can win a championship in one race.

6. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Rosberg beat Hamilton in equal equipment with inferior strategy. This will forever be true, it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Hamilton isn't all that, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. :D

7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Lol. Schumacher never beat a wdc team mate over a season as Senna and Hamilton did. Rosberg beat Schumacher 3 years straight, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. :D

8. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    Massa certainly slowed down when he got beat by Bottas at Williams. Being fast without winning the title is pointless. "At least you did your best" is what mothers say to make a child stop crying... F1 should be the cream of the crop and all F1 careers that end without WDC are to some extent failed. (Does not diminish the abilites/talents of the drivers of course).

ktu likes this.
  9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Massa slowed down after the spring hit him in the head. He was never the same after that moment. I think it started and accelerated the decline of his racing career.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Beau365, stavura, kraftwerk and 5 others like this.
  10. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If we go down this road than massa would have been WDC in 2008 but for his engine blowing up with a handful of laps remaining in Hungary after destroying the field; let’s give Schumey another WDC as his engine blew up in Japan 2006 while leading....could of, should of , would of.....

I still think Hamilton screwing up in Japan 2016 is what really cost him the WDC. Out qualified by Rosberg (.016!) he started second and fell to eighth-his horrible start really cost him. Finished 3rd behind Max and that gave Rosberg breathing room.

11. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    2006: Both Alonso and Schumacher had 2 DNF's.

Schumacher came in 6th in Malaysia, 5th in Monaco, and 8th in Hungary and 4th in Brazil.

Alonso came in 5th in USA, 5th in Germany everything else was either 1st or 2nd minus the 2 retirements.

What cost Lewis the WDC in 2016 was his DNF in Malaysia. Rosberg won by 5pts.

ricksb likes this.
  12. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    You know, simpen, Gilles Villeneuve, who never got WDC, is still much more alive and in people's hearts than several WDC that are still around. Pointless?

Beau365 and jpalmito like this.
  13. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It pains me to write this as I like Russell and had been cheering him all season. Russell is not Hamilton. Russell out-qualified Latifi 17-0, but only finished ahead of him 8 times (that both finished a race). Russell makes enough mistakes that Max would love to bully him around the track. VB would have finished behind Max were it not for MV's 4 (5?) dnf's. Mercedes knows all of this, and they will only take Russell if they must. But make no mistake that Merc is not as sure of a thing without Hamilton behind the wheel.

(On Russell, he will get a good car and then he will gain consistency as he matures. No way a 13-year, &x WDC is equaled by a 3rd year driver with 2 pts and a promising showing at a short track. Remember also that race was missing the top 3 F1 drivers and #4 had to come from the back of the pack to win the race.)

ktu, simpen, william and 2 others like this.
  14. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 and well said!!!!!!

What is LH doing? Taking a winning car and winning. Rain, sun, heat, cool, slick surface and almost major mistake free. Yea Russell has shown what??? He has years to go before he is that consistent. He may not be LH-esque. Speed is one thing, making your luck CONSISTENTLY is another. A large 'another'.

ktu, simpen, william and 2 others like this.
  15. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Nonsense. Go into any shopping mall and you can see the Puma gears endorsed by Hamilton with 'AMG Mercedes F1 driver'. Go into any Petronas station in Malaysia, and Hamilton's posters with the F1 car is plastered everywhere. Mercedes in Malaysia just released a statistics, and it seems they are the highest sellers in the same category vs Audi, Bmw, Volvo etc...

Yea..old excuse indeed.

16. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You saved me the trouble of posting, thanks!

Bas likes this.
  17. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Well, your argument certainly matters, Professor rocket science, who states that 98 + 25 = 345.

sammysaber, fil and Bas like this.
  18. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    You completely misunderstand my post, but that's ok. There are of course dozens of incredibly talented drivers who competed without ever clinching the title, who woulda coulda shoulda if the cookie crumbled just another way. But all F1 drivers start with the ambition to become champion and retiring without achieving that is always a unfulfillment of their F1 career. (Please note the phrasing 'F1 career'. Not talent, not technique, not sympathy, not likeability.)

19. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

Russell is faster than Bottas

stavura, JJ, fil and 1 other person like this.
  20. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau

By this logic each driver would need to be in F1 for at least 22 seasons !

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, the thing is that right now Mercedes has such a big margin that they can afford some rookie mistakes and still win. Even Bottas would be winning without Hamilton. And they can get any driver they want for peanuts.

So yes, Mercedes is making the call here. Of course Hamilton is pushing to get a fistful of dollars more, but that was expected.

22. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    It would make me so happy for Mercedes to refuse Hamilton's demands and have him watch another driver dominate in their car, proving once and for all that the car is the star and not him.

stavura, Bas, greg328 and 1 other person like this.
  23. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Funny.... Every champion athlete has merchandise/advertisement in stores. From soccer champions to NFL , Nascar, I've seen commercials with all types of champions in them. But they get this advertisement mostly because they are CHAMPIONS first. Do you see posters of Daniel Kvyatt in the mall?

As I said old excuse

william and Boomhauer like this.
  24. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Hamilton has nothing left to prove

william and Boomhauer like this.
  25. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes the 'star in the car' must also drive well and win. LH is clearly doing that with a winning car. What more does anyone want. Fine the car is good. Now it takes a good car to win. This is hardly news. The 10% left for the driver is utterly critical. Vettel is the prime example of not being a good 'star in the car'.

Sounds like a nice BBC name for a show lol :)

Boomhauer, william and Jakuzzi like this.